PDA

View Full Version : Helmet for my HUGE-headed toddler?

Uno-Mom
02-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Hey all - I've learned lots from searching "helmets" on here so I think I have a good grip of the favorite brands. (Giro...Bell...Schwinn) My search hasn't found quite the info I needed, though.

Sprog has an enormous head! She is 100th percentile or even bigger. My bobble-head girl. :heartbeat: Anyway, knowing that, does anybody have special recommendations?

I could just measure and buy according to that, but I feel like that will place her into a much higher size than her age range. Is there a brand that's more toddler-friendly even in the bigger sizes? Part of my concern is the increased size and weight on her spindly little neck.

Bonus points if someone can suggest a helmet that's more skater-shaped vs the swoosh-shape of most bike helmets. That aerodynamic swoosh just looks silly on a two-year old barely able to peddle her Radio Flyer trike, IMO. That's not the deciding factor for me, of course. I'll buy whatever is the best, safest fit.

zag95
02-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Uno mom-
I'd take her to DCH and have them fit a helmet to her. I think they are $10 or so- they have lots to choose from to promote safety.

Maybe you want to call DCH and ask to speak to someone in the safety dept?

Good luck!

mommytoC
02-05-2012, 10:40 PM
We've been happy with Trek helmets for our DDs...they're lightweight, easily adjustable, and reasonably priced (no more than $14 to $18 at our local bike shop). They do have the typical "swoosh" shape, but that hasn't bothered us. DD#1 (who also has a big head) wore her 1st helmet from age 2.25 to 5.5.

Gena
02-05-2012, 11:06 PM
DS has a huge head. (For some reason, big heads seem to be a common trait in kids with autism.) He got his first helmet at age 3. We got him a Bell multi-sport helmet and it had a skater-style shape.

ETA: We got it at Target, IIRC.

crl
02-05-2012, 11:14 PM
I'd go to a bike shop. They can help you pick something that fits well.

Catherine

newg
02-05-2012, 11:14 PM
If you go to a bike shop they should have good knowledge of what would work for her....though it might be a bit more $$$.
DD1 has a big head, and at almost 4 is wearing a helmet rated for 5+. It's a Bell and I really like it. It has the typical bike helmet shape, but I really like the way the back of the helmet shapes her head. It's almost like she's wearing a hat, so the helmet can't slip back off her forehead. I think we got it at Target.

Uno-Mom
02-06-2012, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the ideas, everybody!

I think you're right-I really should just take her with me and get her fitted. I guess I was resisting that idea because I didn't want her to get obsessed over one I really hated or one that cost the earth. Ah, toddlers...

But I agree - I'm willing to pay a little extra to get one that is comfortable and secure. I don't want her to catch my helmet-aversion!

larig
02-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the ideas, everybody!

I think you're right-I really should just take her with me and get her fitted. I guess I was resisting that idea because I didn't want her to get obsessed over one I really hated or one that cost the earth. Ah, toddlers...

But I agree - I'm willing to pay a little extra to get one that is comfortable and secure. I don't want her to catch my helmet-aversion!

I'd buy 3 I don't hate, take them home and let her try.

vonfirmath
02-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Hey all - I've learned lots from searching "helmets" on here so I think I have a good grip of the favorite brands. (Giro...Bell...Schwinn) My search hasn't found quite the info I needed, though.

Sprog has an enormous head! She is 100th percentile or even bigger. My bobble-head girl. :heartbeat: Anyway, knowing that, does anybody have special recommendations?

I could just measure and buy according to that, but I feel like that will place her into a much higher size than her age range. Is there a brand that's more toddler-friendly even in the bigger sizes? Part of my concern is the increased size and weight on her spindly little neck.

Bonus points if someone can suggest a helmet that's more skater-shaped vs the swoosh-shape of most bike helmets. That aerodynamic swoosh just looks silly on a two-year old barely able to peddle her Radio Flyer trike, IMO. That's not the deciding factor for me, of course. I'll buy whatever is the best, safest fit.

My son's head size is in the 95%+ also and at 2 years old we bought a Bell Toddler size helmet (I think Bellino. True Fit. It has planets and sparkles) and he is JUST now growing out of it. (4y)

The picture is when he is just turned 3