PDA

View Full Version : How soon will I need a diaper bag?

Mopey
02-06-2012, 02:05 AM
Hi guys,

Being a city dweller who doesn't intend to take the baby out very much in the first month (not even to Mom's or the in-laws, maybe just a little stroll if the weather is nice) how early would you think I need the diaper bag and portable changing pad thingy?

TIA - just trying to figure out what I absolutely have to buy before the babe arrives :)

Uno-Mom
02-06-2012, 02:21 AM
I'm not normal. I never got one. Even with cloth diapers. (Everybody told me: "oh no...those take up sooooo much space! You will need a big diaper bag, trust us...")

I always carry a messenger bag and everything I ever needed for Sprog could just slip in there. The changing pad takes no space, and then you just have a change of clothes/diapers and a few other little doo-dads.

I wouldn't assume that you'll just stay at home, though. You might feel totally differently when the time comes. I couldn't wait to be out and about, even walking everyplace or taking the city train. I had no idea I'd have such wonderlust.

roseyloxs
02-06-2012, 05:09 AM
I got a few diaper bags as gifts and never really used any of them. I don't carry a purse either so maybe that has something to do with it. I like to just carry a small wet bag (http://www.amazon.com/Bummis-Fabulous-Organic-Diaper-Medium/dp/B003CLR3MC) with a changing pad, some wipes and a couple extra diapers. The handle has a snap opening so you can attach it to a stroller. I also love that wet bags can contain stink. So if you are out somewhere without a garbage you don't have to keep smelling an old diaper. Its also useful if you end up actually using cloth diapers. The bag is machine washable too so if it stinks you can wash it unlike most full sized diaper bags.

You don't need a wipes case since most refill wipes now come in convenient resealable packages. You will appreciate a changing pad though. I would look into this large one (http://www.amazon.com/Kushies-Deluxe-Flannel-Change-Bubbles/dp/B00568MOOG) or this compact one (http://www.amazon.com/Kushies-Deluxe-Flannel-Change-Bubbles/dp/B00568MOOG).

lizzywednesday
02-06-2012, 09:46 AM
It depends.

You could get by with a large purse & changing "pod" (basically a changing pad with zippers for diapers & wipes) with a spare change of clothes, a diaper or two and a travel pack of wipes if you're only out for an hour or so. When you'll be out and about longer than an hour is when you'll want more "equipment." I also used to include a nursing cover & burp cloths, for example, but YMMV.

I'm an over-packer, so I had pretty much everything under the sun. I've toned it down a bit lately, but DD needs a lot less these days!

And, please, don't plan to stay home for a month. I think that you'll totally go stir-crazy. When my DD was born, I was under driving restrictions from my C-section & pain meds for the first 2 weeks. I got really antsy and ended up taking near-daily trips out to Target, the grocery store, the mall and my relatives' houses an hour-plus away once I was allowed to drive.

If you're worried about people touching the baby without permission, get a good carrier, wrap or sling & wear him/her. Keeping Baby inside your personal space tends to deter the crazy. (It also helps you get seats on the subway. Seriously. People love babies.)

mikala
02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Agree with the others to have an option available for when you just need.to.get.out.of.the.house. I sometimes use an actual diaper bag and other times just throw a wet/dry bag (http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Wise-Wet-Dry-Diaper/dp/B003IHN518/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1328541133&sr=1-1) into a messenger bag, backpack or purse or the basket of a stroller. For really short trips I just threw a diaper, paper changing pad and ziploc with a couple wipes in the pocket of the Ergo.

As long as you have diapers, wipes, changing pad, spare outfit you'll be fine.

These (http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Disposable-Changing-Pad-Pack/dp/B002KCMSPQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1328541198&sr=1-1) are also great for times when you're packing light. They're cheaper at B&M stores and can be reused until they get dirty from baby during a change.

pastrygirl
02-06-2012, 11:17 AM
I would plan to have something. My first bag was just a medium-sized non-diaper bag that had lots of compartments/zippers, water bottle pockets, and a larger slip pocket (for papers/books) that I used for a changing pad. I had a Patemm Pad changing pad, which worked great -- and I'm still using it 5+ years later. I always had the bag stocked and ready to go. It was nice having different compartments so that I could easily find stuff. Burp rags, bibs, diapers, wipes, change of clothes, etc. My kids were VERY messy the first few months between spit-up and blowouts, so I needed to make sure I had all that stuff with me.

(Then I discovered JuJuBe diaper bags and went a bit crazy... :o )

todzwife
02-06-2012, 01:39 PM

Uh yeah... I have quite a collection of them now too ;)

OP, you may want to at least have some designated bag for the baby stuff. PLEASE don't stay home for a month!

Mopey
02-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Hahahahahahahaha you guys are so sweet! I have read lots about getting out and completely plan to - just probably not with the baby if it's too cold, etc. The hubby and I will go for dinner, my mom is a baby whisperer and will come over for me to go out and do anything, or nap, etc. She's all over it. That is the only reason I was asking (if I'm not taking the baby with me mostly).

I will totally look into these items. I kind of have a feeling I will do better to be more organized before the babe arrives anyway ;)

Thanks as always everyone! Much appreciated!

star04
02-06-2012, 03:25 PM

Yeah, watch out for those JJBs! They multiply on their own.

Congrats on your little one! :)

SnuggleBuggles
02-06-2012, 03:29 PM
I didn't plan on being out much either but first I needed to go to the lactation consultant. Then there were pediatrician appointments + my 10 day postpartum check up...lots of little out and abouts. Get one before baby comes. Or, at least, like others said, just get a portable changing pad plus something for diapers and wipes (and baggies for the dirty diapers) so you can toss that in your purse. I never got into diaper bags. But, I did carry some basics with me. Always have a back up shirt for you too, btw. Something that you or dh could fit into depending on which of you may end up needing a change. :)

star04
02-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Always have a back up shirt for you too, btw. Something that you or dh could fit into depending on which of you may end up needing a change. :)

:yeahthat: DD1 messed on DH's shirt at the Dr's once. He was not happy!

Mopey
02-07-2012, 12:08 AM
I have heard about needing to change :ROTFLMAO:

Will definitely get the bag together! Unpacked some NB and size 1 diapers given to us today. Ordered the stroller with cs adapter. It is all getting so surreal! :D

BayGirl2
02-07-2012, 03:32 AM
Yes, you'll need something at least for Ped and LC appts. Our hospital gives out diaper bags when you leave. They are actully kind of nice. Not as nice as the JJBs I'm now addicted to, but nice enough to use.

artvandalay
02-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Call me crazy, but I love buying diaper bags! I go kind of crazy.

But, you can really use any type of bag that you find comfortable, even a backpack. The hospital usually gives you one, but I always found them too small for newborn stage. They are fine when they get a little older.

I would have some sort of bag ready as soon as you can. You never know when an emergency will pop up and you will have to leave. At the very least you will need diapers, wipes, change of clothes for you and baby, burp cloth, blanket.

My youngest is 20 months and I think I am finally done looking at diaper bags *sniff*.

lizzywednesday
02-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Forgot to add that, if you're afraid that the cold (er, wind-tunnel effect of the skyscrapers ... yeah, I've been to Manhattan in the winter) will be too much for Baby while you're out and about, the carrier/wrap/sling encouragement I posted earlier is actually helpful for keeping Baby warm - put Baby in the carrier BEFORE you put your coat on & put your coat over the whole business. If you dress in layers, you can actually keep your coat open and stay quite warm from the shared body heat. Add a knit cap for Baby and you're good-to-go for a bit.

peanut520
02-07-2012, 02:29 PM
i had a good collection of diaper bags depending on where we were going, and most of them for my shower. my favorite is a med LE canvas bag with a changing pod. so reusable

vahnessuh
02-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Another JJB addict right here.... and I took my daughter out the first time when she was about 2 weeks old... to Target. That is, aside from doc appointments and such.

BabyBearsMom
02-07-2012, 03:40 PM
I actually needed something pretty much right away. Even though you don't have any planned social outings, I had to go to my OB for follow up visits (had a C Section) and the first few pedi visits for DD during the first month. I liked having a diaper bag because newborns seem to poop all the freaking time so you have to change their diapers. Sometimes, you don't have great options for changing facilities so it is helpful to have the changing pad, diapers and wipes with you. Also, at first, I was a little shy about nursing, and I liked having a nursing cover up available when I had to nurse in waiting rooms etc. Also, it is always good to have a change of clothes for the baby because since all they eat is liquid, their poop is liquidy and gets all over the place, so you do a lot of outfit changes. It was also good for keeping a burp rag and a receiving blanket that you will use for the most unusual things.

ditty
02-07-2012, 08:09 PM
I had a couple diaper bags right away and it took me a little while to get into my groove. I have a Petunia Pickle Bottom backpack bag that I like, with the fold out changing pad, but it's just a lot to carry every day. I use it more for travel or leaving in the car.

I also have a Serena & Lily tote that I really like. I can wear it cross body and it has a changing pad and diaper clutch (for quick trips) with it as well. It looks more like a purse, but fits the changing pad, diapers, wipes, all my stuff, change of baby clothes, burp cloths and toys. I have the peacock and ordered the gypsy pattern when they were 40% off of $39.99 (gasp!) the other week. They are really pretty and I've gotten loads of compliments on them. Plus later I can use it as a purse or travel bag.
http://www.serenaandlily.com/Gift/For-Mom-Peacock-Gypsy-Tote-Collection

Good Luck!

amldaley
02-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Agree with pp's that you don't necessarily need a diaper bag at all but you do need a designated bag. You *WILL* have to go out with baby a couple of times in that first month - for instance, you will have to take baby in for appointments a couple of days after you go home from hospital and then again at 2 weeks.

You REALLY don't want to be out with baby, at all, without supplies. Diapers, wipes, and a change of outfit at a minimum.

BayGirl2
02-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Call me crazy, but I love buying diaper bags! I go kind of crazy.

But, you can really use any type of bag that you find comfortable, even a backpack. The hospital usually gives you one, but I always found them too small for newborn stage. They are fine when they get a little older.

I would have some sort of bag ready as soon as you can. You never know when an emergency will pop up and you will have to leave. At the very least you will need diapers, wipes, change of clothes for you and baby, burp cloth, blanket.

My youngest is 20 months and I think I am finally done looking at diaper bags *sniff*.

Really, by 20 months? I think I can justify diaper bag shopping well into the teen years, especially given my JJB addiction.

But then just this weekend my PT'd almost 3 year old went through so many changes of clothes and shoes (!?!) that we had to leave the zoo early with him barefoot and strapped into the stroller. So I am thankful for my overpacking and can easily justify diaper bags for many years to come.

Mopey - you seem like you are social enough that you'll have that baby out an about in a couple weeks and be sportin' some kind of stylish bag on your shoulder. :)

AnnieW625
02-18-2012, 10:50 PM
I didn't plan on being out much either but first I needed to go to the lactation consultant. Then there were pediatrician appointments + my 10 day postpartum check up...lots of little out and abouts. Get one before baby comes. Or, at least, like others said, just get a portable changing pad plus something for diapers and wipes (and baggies for the dirty diapers) so you can toss that in your purse. I never got into diaper bags. But, I did carry some basics with me. Always have a back up shirt for you too, btw. Something that you or dh could fit into depending on which of you may end up needing a change. :)

:yeahthat: We got ours with DD1 at our baby shower. I was so glad I had one before I had DD1. It was the Eddie Bauer messenger bag and it was great because it was light even when full. I splurged on a JuJuBe Be Spicy bag with DD2 and it was my hospital bag. If you know that the hospital you deliver with will give you a bag you could just plan on using that, but not all hospitals esp. those that encourage/promote breastfeeding don't give them out.

mackmama
03-16-2012, 02:50 PM

Yeah, watch out for those JJBs! They multiply on their own.

Those JJBs do have a way of piling up! I just did a massive destash of JJBs. I had collected way too many of them and rarely even use a diaper bag. OP - I think you could honestly get by with some disposable changing pads and a regular purse for the times you do decide to get out of the house.