PDA

View Full Version : Steady, dull pain under both ribs

swissair81
02-06-2012, 08:09 AM
What could it be? It's been bothering me for weeks. My doctor first thought that it might be kidney. I had a kidney stone in the past year, and there was microscopic blood in my urine. He ordered an u/s to make sure, and it checked out. However, exactly where the sonographer had to press to get good pictures is where it really hurts the most. We also sent a culture, but it's not back with anything yet. I'm sure if there was something bad enough to cause pain, like a kidney infection, it would have come back in the first day or two. I'm expecting this one to come back negative at 5 days. I wish I knew what it was though. I'm so uncomfortable.

mommylamb
02-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Could it be an ulcer? You've had a seriously stressful last few months.

swissair81
02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
I didn't know the symptoms of ulcers, so I looked them up. It describes a gnawing, burning pain (similar to heartburn or indigestion) that lasts for 30 minutes to 3 hours post eating. My pain is dull and constant. I hate to be a hypochondriac, but I feel that constant pain that is not exacerbated or relieved by anything is not quite normal.

wendibird22
02-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Hmm, under ribs in the front? Near lungs? Have you had a respiratory infection lately? I would think perhaps asthma, pneumonia, bronchitis that could inflame the muscles in that area.

And I never apologize for seeing a doc for an issue that isn't normal for me and hasn't resolved after a week.

swissair81
02-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Hmm, under ribs in the front? Near lungs? Have you had a respiratory infection lately? I would think perhaps asthma, pneumonia, bronchitis that could inflame the muscles in that area.

And I never apologize for seeing a doc for an issue that isn't normal for me and hasn't resolved after a week.

No, it's in the back- right where the ribs curve down. I don't think it's respiratory, and I'm not allowed to lift anything at the moment- so I don't think I strained anything.