PDA

View Full Version : "cramping" sensation with ovulation

twowhat?
02-06-2012, 11:34 AM
I've been trying to be more careful about recording dates with my period, just to be more in tune with my body/be able to plan when I need supplies...

I've noticed that on exactly day 14 I get this crampy, achy, draggy feeling down there that lasts for several hours. I was googling and looks like some women can actually feel when they have ovulated.

But the interesting thing from what I've been reading is that the women who feel it will feel pain on the right or left side depending on which ovary releases the egg. My pain is all over - it makes me wonder if each ovary is releasing an egg with each cycle (thus the twins)?

So I'm just curious to hear others' experiences, esp those who can feel ovulation. Do you feel it only on one side?

Giantbear
02-06-2012, 11:40 AM
My wife can always tell when she ovulates and which side is dropping the egg. Her left side always hurts worse than the right and she always gets cramping. I on the other hand feel nothing ;)

AbbysMom
02-06-2012, 11:41 AM
I have in the past. I felt pain every other month on one side.

swissair81
02-06-2012, 12:18 PM
I do not have this problem, or if I do I haven't noticed it. I have so many bouts of cramps due to IBS, I highly doubt I would know. Even so, mittelschmerz is a well documented phenomenon- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002472/

Gena
02-06-2012, 12:21 PM
I usually only feel it on one side, and I can feel the left stronger than the right. Some months I feel it on both sides, sometimes a day apart, sometimes on the same day. Faternal twins run in my family and I have always assumed that when I feel it on both sides I'm dropping 2 eggs. I also do charting (NFP), so that confirms that I'm ovulating during that time.

Giantbear
02-06-2012, 12:22 PM
I do not have this problem, or if I do I haven't noticed it. I have so many bouts of cramps due to IBS, I highly doubt I would know. Even so, mittelschmerz is a well documented phenomenon- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002472/
thanks for the link, i am going to forward this to my wife

twowhat?
02-06-2012, 12:24 PM
I usually only feel it on one side, and I can feel the left stronger than the right. Some months I feel it on both sides, sometimes a day apart, sometimes on the same day. Faternal twins run in my family and I have always assumed that when I feel it on both sides I'm dropping 2 eggs. I also do charting (NFP), so that confirms that I'm ovulating during that time.

Fascinating. I feel it on both sides every month. Yup, we're done with kids:D

eta: and I've always had a really strong gut feeling that another pregnancy would be a twin pregnancy.

mikeys_mom
02-06-2012, 12:45 PM
My pain is all over - it makes me wonder if each ovary is releasing an egg with each cycle (thus the twins)?

Some months I feel it on both sides, sometimes a day apart, sometimes on the same day. Faternal twins run in my family and I have always assumed that when I feel it on both sides I'm dropping 2 eggs.

Having had fratenal twins, that is so interesting. I do somethings feel minor cramping but have never paid attention to location. My Drs tell me now that I have had twins as well as my age put me at a very high chance for subsequent twins. I will certainly start to pay more attention to the location of the cramping now.

wendibird22
02-06-2012, 12:47 PM
I always have O pain. It's quite painful and usually last 12-24hrs for me. Like most, I feel it on one side only. It's a blessing and a curse. It's so painful and I really didn't miss it when I was preggo with DDs or when I was on hormonal BC. But, I was also able to conceive on the first attempt with both pregnancies. Let's just say that I know when to kick DH far away from me!

hellokitty
02-06-2012, 01:19 PM
I always feel it on both sides too, but I have PCOS, so I always think that maybe it might be cyst pain too.

Melaine
02-06-2012, 01:25 PM
I can usually feel it, but IIRC it's on one side at a time but one tends to be stronger pain. But mine are identical so that would just be a single egg split...interesting.

Dream
02-06-2012, 01:46 PM
I always get cramps on one side when I ovulate. The side differs. My cramps usually last overnight and its very painful. Tylenol makes it better tho.

speo
02-06-2012, 03:45 PM
I could always feel when I ovulate and it would be on one side. I don't have it now because I am on BC. Mine was a painful stabbing-type pain that would last an hour or so. I had it from the very beginning when I was a teenager and before my mom and I figured out what it was I would think I had appendicitis.

DebbieJ
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
I always feel it on my left side. Always.

maiaann
02-06-2012, 04:51 PM
I get regular cramps. Everything I read said ovulation pain *should* be on one side or the other, but I get good ol' regular cramps. They don't last a mere hour either; my cramps last 2-3 days. My cycle is like clockwork & I'm positive it's related to ovulation.

Liziz
02-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Yes, I definitely have ovulation cramps -- they can be quite painful, I feel them most in my back. They switch sides, too.

WitMom
02-17-2012, 10:59 PM
I'm with maiaann...cramps all over for more than one day. Usually bloating, too.