PDA

View Full Version : Croupy cough- WTD about school?

SnuggleBuggles
02-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Ds2 slept fine through the night but sounds like heck this morning with a dry, barking type cough. He's not having any breathing issues, he just sounds bad and seems a bit less perky than normal. It takes him a bit to perk up in the morning though so in an hour that problem could be resolved. Basically he just sounds miserable and keeps coughing. If your day was totally flexible, would you keep him home or send him to school (doesn't start till 12:30)?

lmh2402
02-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Sorry he doesn’t feel well! I would hedge my bets if you’ve got until 12:30. At least for my DS, the cough is much worse early in the morning b/c I guess it takes some time for the “stuff” to drain. Then during the day, with a mild case, he’s usually fine! Seems like he’s got a bit of a cold (runny nose, etc), but that’s it.

With our last case, which was mild (croup cough only when laying down, no fever, runny nose but totally fine spirits, energy and eating during the day), I called our doc to ask about protocol for school etc – she said the croup is “like a cold (and as contagious/spreads the same as the common cold),” it just happens to have settled in the larynx. She said to use my judgment re: school – if he didn't have a croup cough, would he have had “bad enough” cold symptoms/sickness symptoms for me to be thinking I should maybe keep him home from school?

I then called the teacher and asked her about school rules and her feelings – she said their rules are 24 hrs fever free, 24 hours post the start of antibiotics, 24 hours post vomiting, and no discolored discharge from nose or mouth. Based on what I told her, she said the same as the doctor – “he has a cold. 99% of the kids in class have a cold. if they all stayed home for a runny nose (running clear, not discolored), no one would be here but the teachers.”

I ended up sending DS and teacher said he was totally fine – no coughing at school. Some runny nose, but no more than anyone else.

So…I guess I would say play it by ear – seems your DS might be just coming down with something if he’s coughing a ton this morning…so if he’s really sort of droopy and not feeling well, than I would keep him home.

But if the cough subsides and he seems his “normal self with a bit of c old,” than I would probably send him. Good luck – I hope he feels better!

SnuggleBuggles
02-07-2012, 10:42 AM
“he has a cold. 99% of the kids in class have a cold. if they all stayed home for a runny nose (running clear, not discolored), no one would be here but the teachers.”

I ended up sending DS and teacher said he was totally fine – no coughing at school. Some runny nose, but no more than anyone else.

So…I guess I would say play it by ear – seems your DS might be just coming down with something if he’s coughing a ton this morning…so if he’s really sort of droopy and not feeling well, than I would keep him home.

But if the cough subsides and he seems his “normal self with a bit of c old,” than I would probably send him. Good luck – I hope he feels better!

That's what his school says too. :) He already sounds better. Thanks!!!

Kindra178
02-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Sorry he doesn’t feel well! I would hedge my bets if you’ve got until 12:30. At least for my DS, the cough is much worse early in the morning b/c I guess it takes some time for the “stuff” to drain. Then during the day, with a mild case, he’s usually fine! Seems like he’s got a bit of a cold (runny nose, etc), but that’s it.

With our last case, which was mild (croup cough only when laying down, no fever, runny nose but totally fine spirits, energy and eating during the day), I called our doc to ask about protocol for school etc – she said the croup is “like a cold (and as contagious/spreads the same as the common cold),” it just happens to have settled in the larynx. She said to use my judgment re: school – if he didn't have a croup cough, would he have had “bad enough” cold symptoms/sickness symptoms for me to be thinking I should maybe keep him home from school?

I then called the teacher and asked her about school rules and her feelings – she said their rules are 24 hrs fever free, 24 hours post the start of antibiotics, 24 hours post vomiting, and no discolored discharge from nose or mouth. Based on what I told her, she said the same as the doctor – “he has a cold. 99% of the kids in class have a cold. if they all stayed home for a runny nose (running clear, not discolored), no one would be here but the teachers.”

I have never heard the discolored nose rule, although I have heard and follow all the other rules. A preschooler could have a discolored nose for weeks. From experience, a ped won't treat unless green snot lasts for two weeks, absent other bacterial symptoms.

SB, I would send him to school unless he really feels bad. Coughs are usually bad in the am and pm.