PDA

View Full Version : Just for Fun- How much would/have you spent on a piece of your wardrobe?

wallawala
02-07-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm totally lusting over these boots by aquataila
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/aquatalia-by-marvin-k-undy-weatherproof-woven-shaft-boot/3170646?origin=category&resultback=1404

As a short girl with "athletic calves" tall boots have never been a possibility, but then I tried these on last night and melted. They really might be gods gift to atheletic calves. Up until last night, I would have said anyone who spent over $500 on anything to wear was crazy... but now I'm checking the budget to see if this is possible.

Am I crazy? I'm even amortizing purchase in my head... lets see if they last 6 years, thats $100/year.. which is great for fabu boots right??

So what's the most you've ever spent on an article of clothing (not jewelry), and was it worth it?? My frugal franny is in a fistfight with my fabu fran.

I think the most I've spent was $150 on a drop dead suit (it was on a huge sale too). I'm usually a TJMaxx kinda girl or hitting the super clearance sales. These are not even on sale! But do have xmas money to spend, so could do it.

twowhat?
02-07-2012, 02:20 PM
I think the most I've ever spent on clothing was a suit, on clearance - probably $200 for both pieces. I definitely couldn't stomach paying $500 for a single article of clothing, but hey - if you can afford it and you love it and they make you feel like a million bucks (and all 3 seem to apply here), then DO IT! :)

BabyMine
02-07-2012, 02:25 PM
I also have big calves but I couldn't spend that much on just a pair of boots and would wait until a BIG sale. Saying that if you like them, have the money, and won't feel guilty when you wear them then go for it.

mackmama
02-07-2012, 02:27 PM
OP - keep an eye on rue la la - they have some great aquatalia deals!

goldenpig
02-07-2012, 04:18 PM
I bought a pair of Aquatalia boots on sale for $345--they are really well made. That Undy version you linked was highly recommended by Angie at YLF. It was on sale at the Nordstrom Anniversary sale last July for $360. (I know, that doesn't help!) I found this link to a couple pairs in 9.5 and 11 that are discounted to $370, I've never heard of this shoe store but maybe you can check it out:
http://www.jildorshoes.com/product.cfm/hurl/undy-riding-boot-black-leather/PI=90086/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc

As for how much to spend, it really depends on your budget and how often you'll wear it. I am OK spending more for quality coats and boots because I can wear them so often (whereas you can't wear the same suit or dress every day) and good ones will last for years or even decades. I have four pairs of boots in the $300-400 range and I wear them frequently. I aim to get cost per wear down to $3 or less! If you can afford it and would wear it a lot and it makes you feel fab, go for it!

♥ms.pacman♥
02-07-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm going to make everyone feel better. If handbags count (they ARE a part of one's wardrobe, no?), then i've spent over $1000 (i wont' say how much :bag). But that was when I was working, before mortgage and kids, so different scenario. If clothes only..i guess a Burberry quilted jacket..i think they're $400? Anyway, After i had kids, i havent' spent nearly as much on stuff for myself, since my weight was going crazy with nursing (am still trying to lose the baby weight before i buy more clothes).

I guess I did spend $200 on Joe Jeans (maternity) when i was pg with DD...it was SO worth it because I wore those jeans very often for a good year, and i loved them far better than my other jeans. I would gladly get rid of 10 pairs of other jeans to keep that pair, so that alone justifies the price.

Like goldenpig, i am the type of person who would rather spend $$$ on something high-quality and versatile that gets used often makes me feel great. I've stopped feeling guilty about it :) If you think it's something you will get a lot of use/enjoyment out of, by all means go for it!! To this day, almost 5 years later, I still use my LV bags and i always get compliments on them. I'm getting to the point where i can almost fit into my Burberry jacket again, and i'm so excited! :)

ellies mom
02-07-2012, 04:41 PM
For a classic style that I can wear for year after year, then you bet, I'd spend that much money on a pair. I'm all for paying good money once.

Although, I must say that I'm not certain I would want to spend that much money on that pair. For $500+, I want them to fit great and be all leather. The "cloth" upper is a pretty big turn off to me at that price.

goldenpig
02-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Wallawala, maybe you should head over to youlookfab.com and post a question about those Undy boots if you want to know more about the fit and quality/durability of that particular style. I know Angie herself has a pair and raves about them and several other members have them too.

Ms. Pacman, you have some nice stuff! I agree, handbags are great investments because you can wear them everyday for years, no matter what size you happen to be at the moment. I mostly use Fossil purses which are pretty affordable but I do have a couple of Kate Spades that I got at the sample sales for $200 or less. And a Kate Spade black ruffled trench coat that was around $500 (even including a 20% discount) but I plan to wear it for years and every time I wear it, it transforms the outfit and I get instant compliments! If I wear it just twice a month for five years, that's $4/wear, not bad! I definitely wear it more than 2x/month and I'm sure it will last longer than 5 years too.

Whereas my highest CPW was my wedding dress, $600 (which was actually less expensive than a lot of gowns) for only one wear (but I guess that's a good thing, right?).

boilermakermom
02-07-2012, 05:32 PM
When I downhill skied every weekend (pre DD) I spent $700 for a pair of ski boots. I am also a shorty with athletic legs and fell in love with the custom fit/molded boot. They truly made skiing much more enjoyable for me!

I spent $250 on a pair of leather pants to wear out to the bars (in my college days).

Now, I am splurging on a pair of Gap jeans. Gotta love motherhood!! :o)

tarnator
02-07-2012, 06:36 PM
What are the chances that you are size 9.5? There are a pair on ebay 'new without box' for $330.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/120855339493?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Or some limited sizing on Amazon.com for $373.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P8HDUS

edurnemk
02-07-2012, 06:41 PM
The most I've spent on a pair of boots was $250 (they were on sale), back in 2006 and I'm still using them (wore them today), so good quality things do last longer, IME.

But I've spent more on other items, such as a business suit (around $800 IIRC) and a couple of formal evening dresses ($500+)

wallawala
02-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It took me awhile to check back because I've been lounging over at YouLookFab. Goldenpig's posts over these last months with style revamping are so inspiring! You rock chica! I so need to revamp my entire closet, but I'm still trying to lose my baby weight (#2 was 5 weeks ago- but there is alot of #1 poundage still there). I haven't wanted to invest in clothes, but a killer accessories and footwear are my current obsession. I need to lose about 30lbs, but honestly my calves were this short and this wide when I used to wear a size 6. Now that we are done with more babies... I'm going to start building my shoe wardrobe!! I love the YLF site and that everything you wear should be a "10".

Love all the bargin posts, you are my soul sisters! I cringingly remember these were on sale originally at Nordies. I was anticipating my size maybe changing with being pregant, so didn't even try them on then. *Sigh* I'm an 8 in these, so keep the options coming especially if you see an 8!

The icing on the cake for these boots are that I can tuck jeans in (miracle!)and they don't make my calves look wierd. I have a 17 inch calf.. so to tuck in jeans on top of that is tough. Other stretchy top boots end up slinking down your leg and puddling around the ankle. These didn't, at least in the store, I think I need to get them and wear around the house for awhile.

I agree that there's not much leather to justify that price, but the top is really way cooler in person than I thought in the photo. Almost "chain-mail like" without it stealing the scene. (See how hard I'm trying to justify these
:loveeyes: )

I think I'll post a photo over at YouLookFab and here if I can figure it out. I think the one thing that would limit the frequency of wearing... is I'm so not used to wearing boots with anything tucked in, I'm not confidant that it is a slimming look for me. I'm a short pear, so anything that shortens the legs or accentuates the thigh makes me anxious.

Off to figure out how to get a photo and post for feedback.... :)

lcarlson90
02-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Wallawala - If you love the particular style of boots I would pay the money for them but if you are only considering buying them because they fit your "athletic" calves I would keep looking. I have very large calves (probably bigger than yours) and I just bought the Frye Veronica's with the extended calf and they are the first boots I have ever owned that I can tuck jeans into. There is also a British company called Duo boots that sells custom leather boots that are made for any size calves.

maestramommy
02-07-2012, 10:21 PM
LOL, pretty sure I've never spent that much on a piece of clothing or shoes. The most I've spent was $100 for a "cocktail" dress to wear to a residency year end party, or some such thing. I ended up wearing the same dress for my engagement ceremony. Then I've spent somewhere around $100 for an entire outfit to wear for performances and I wore it 3 times a year for 8 years.

But you know, if you have gift money, that's what it's for, to buy things you fall in love with that you'd never buy otherwise.

arivecchi
02-07-2012, 10:46 PM
I plead the 5th! ;)

Seriously though, I have three pairs of boots that were very spendy (more than $500 each). I have worn all three pairs tons over 6-8 years and they still look and feel amazing.

Heck yeah, they were worth every penny!

DrSally
02-07-2012, 11:17 PM
I don't think I've spent over $100 on any clothing item, incl. boots and coats. I prefer to stay under $50. I do agree that quality is important, and I shop sales, clearance, TJMax, and Consignment. That said, if you find the perfect thing that you'll wear all the time, I don't see a problem w/spending a lot of $$. Not sure if this is the perfect boot for you or if you just love it b/c it fits you and is good quality.

Have you seen the Naturalizer Array boot? It's got the fabric back, which helps accomodate wider calves. I freq see it for under $100 and I think it even comes in wide calf.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/naturalizer-array-boot/3115627

TxCat
02-07-2012, 11:23 PM
I plead the 5th! ;)

Seriously though, I have three pairs of boots that were very spendy (more than $500 each). I have worn all three pairs tons over 6-8 years and they still look and feel amazing.

Heck yeah, they were worth every penny!

:bag

Yeah, there's no way I'm copping to my most spendy purchase, but I've definitely spent over $500 on shoes/boots/purse/dresses before - ok, the fact that I'm now realizing that there are several items in my closet that fall into that category makes it even worse! However, I fully agree with arivecchi - if it is a quality piece, and it makes you look good and feel good, I think the price can be justified - it lasts forever if you take care of it, and it looks great/stands the test of time. If you've been searching for that style for a while, and this is the first time that you've found something that flatters so well, I'd go for it if you can fit it in your budget.

sntm
02-08-2012, 01:08 AM
I'm also not one to talk (I've spent a lot on a single item and regularly buy pricey things) but I am also a very strong believer in cost per wear. I have some things I've bought because they were cheap or a bargain, and inevitably, they rarely get worn or they fall apart. So, while I may have gotten $50 shoes, if I wear them twice, that's $25 per wear. I once splurged on a nice cashmere-blend winter coat at Saks when I was a med student - even on end of winter sale, it was $400 which was HUGE for me at the time. I still have the coat, and while I don't wear it as much because I now have a selection #blush I probably have worn that coat 200 times or more. It shows a tiny bit of wear, but is far from shabby. It's investment shopping. (I hear you on the calves thing. I can usually just barely squeeze into knee high boots.)

Boots like that you would wear the h3ll out of. Take good care of them and they will last you 10 years or more. Get a nordstroms card and you get 10% off plus earn points for the whole thing. Or, if you have a store, go make nice with the salesperson and they might call you when they go on sale.

kozachka
02-08-2012, 04:56 AM
I plead the 5th! ;)

:yeahthat: Me, too. I've definitely spent more than $500 on an item. Way more. I've totally blocked out how much I paid for a Burberry trench or BV purses/ wallet, but those are time-tested classics in neutral colors and will last me a lifetime. I've agonized over the expense/waited for sales on all but one occasion when I just walked into a JC store, tried on a few pairs of shoes, and bought a pair of classic black pointy-toe shoes (http://us.jimmychoo.com/en/us/shoes/lockett/invt/247lockettkid/). That was over 3 years ago and I wore them today, and felt like a million bucks, yet again. Picture does not do it justice.

The most I've ever paid for a pair of boots was $559 for Dior tall boots from Editor's Closet. They were such a great deal and the last pair in my size, I knew I'd regret not buying them more than having to pay for return shipping. Thankfully, they did not fit my calves so I ended returning them. I did get a pair of Dior grey patent leather booties from EC in the fall of 2010 that got a lot of wear last fall/winter/spring and some this year (it's been really warm) that I paid $375 for but I get compliments on them every single time I wear them. Totally worth it IMHO, especially as I am trying to lose weight and get back to my normal.

kozachka
02-08-2012, 05:02 AM
If you really, really want these boots, and both you and a very honest friend/DH thinks that they flatter you, then you should go ahead and purchase them from Nordstrom. Keep the receipt in a safe place. Then re-purchase them on sale and return. Do keep in mind that Nordstrom matches prices of other reputable retailers, including online ones, so if you fing it someplace else, you can chat with them and ask for the lower price. They also match Macy's, Bloomingdales and other department store Friends and Family discounts, which are typically 20-25% and take place couple times a year. So there is really no reason to pay retail or postpone the purchase.

That said, I am pear shaped and even though I am taller (5'7") I don't like the way such boots look on me with pants. It just does not work for me, so do seek out feedback of impassionate party.

mikala
02-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Wow, this thread is making me feel cheap. I once spent $300 on a cocktail dress for a summer when everyone I've ever known seemed to get married so I got to wear it several times. I about choked while handing over my credit card even though it was in my budget.

Outside of that my splurges have all been fairly practical, like a $150 pair of quality boots and a winter wool coat on end of season clearance. Both have lasted years longer than their discount store counterparts would have.

lizzywednesday
02-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Wow, this thread is making me feel cheap. I once spent $300 on a cocktail dress for a summer when everyone I've ever known seemed to get married so I got to wear it several times. I about choked while handing over my credit card even though it was in my budget.

Outside of that my splurges have all been fairly practical, like a $150 pair of quality boots and a winter wool coat on end of season clearance. Both have lasted years longer than their discount store counterparts would have.

HA! If you're cheap, then I don't know what that makes me - when all our friends were getting married, I bought a tea-length Jessica McClintock strapless dress in black with white accents and an ankle-length Jessica McClintock dress, also in black with a white lace panel at the bodice, and paid less than $100 each for them. (I believe they were on the sale rack at Macy's.)

The only time I spent more than $200 on clothing was for my wedding dress, which was only about $700 or so.

The most I've spent on clothing items for every day is probably $200 for suit pieces and a blouse.

I've never paid more than $150 for shoes and boots make me cry (I have 19" calves, so all those threads about cute boots during the fall & winter leave me with boot-envy.) *sigh*

boolady
02-08-2012, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't break any records, but in the last 10 years, I have steadily moved towards spending more on classic, well-made pieces that are going to last, even though they cost more at the outset. This goes for all kinds of items-- clothing, shoes, lingerie, you name it. I will still occasionally get the cute summer T at Old Navy that I expect to last one summer, but far more of my wardrobe is made up of more costly pieces that I intend to put with different accessories and combinations for a long time to come.