PDA

View Full Version : Curtain rod dilemma - extra long, no middle brackets

sntm
02-08-2012, 12:46 AM
We have windows in the bedroom that span 118 inches and go all the way to the ceiling. I bought some lightweight velvet drapes and want to hang sheers as well. I can find rods that go long enough, but they all have middle brackets, and Restoration Hardware was very discouraging that they would be strong enough to support that weight without something in the middle.

Anyone know of any that are extra strong and don't need a middle bracket? Or other ideas? SO suggested putting the brackets on the ceiling, but I don't think that would look very good! Or should I just chance it? The velvet ones I got were from West Elm and a lot lighter weight than the ones at RH that they were saying were too heavy.

amandabea
02-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Even with very light weight drapes, I don't see how you could avoid a middle bracket. I think with a span of that length the rod would bow without it. I'm thinking just something small and inconspicuous.

WatchingThemGrow
02-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Is there a frame on the window?

sntm
02-08-2012, 02:18 PM
It does have a small frame (not sure if wood or metal now.) I've attached one of the photos from the listing. I suppose that would be an option, to put a bracket on the frame itself, though it won't stick out as far then so I'd have to have something in between.

I LOVE the windows (especially in the dreary PNW) but window dressings are becoming a headache.

pastrygirl
02-08-2012, 02:37 PM
That reminds me of this Ikea setup: http://retroranchrevamp.com/2011/03/19/ikea-kvartal-panel-curtains-for-corner-windows-in-the-bedroom/

I'm not sure if those Ikea things can be mounted to the ceiling, though...

sasha
02-08-2012, 03:29 PM
The IKEA Kvartal system can be mounted to the ceiling and also can be used with drapery panels, not just the panels shown in the link. I've researched it a lot for use with my 108 inch window, and I think it is the solution we will go with eventually. :)

YouAreTheFocus
02-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Even with very light weight drapes, I don't see how you could avoid a middle bracket. I think with a span of that length the rod would bow without it. I'm thinking just something small and inconspicuous.

I agree. Even with no curtain at all, a rod that length will bow in the middle. I would do all three supports from the celing to give it a uniform look.