PDA

View Full Version : Take DS to the ped (for a cold) or not?

AngB
02-08-2012, 10:37 AM
I have had a bad cold for a couple of days (sore throat, runny nose, feel like I got ran over.)

Pretty sure DS (9 months) has the same cold- runny nose, whiny, not sleeping well. (He is currently pretty happily playing on the floor with a box.) He is working on a top tooth, too. We had a rough night but he slept relatively well as long as I held him so he wasn't laying flat. (Mainly I was too miserable with my own ick to sleep well and worrying about him.) He may have had low grade fever a few times but we are rotating infant tylenol and motrin for the pain (he does get fussy around the time it is time more) and if he did have one, it was lowgrade and went away quickly. (Not sure if he was warm because I was warm and sleeping on me, or if it was a fever, I wasn't going to mess with getting up to get the thermometer when he was sleeping comfortably.)

Yesterday I called the ped and talked to a random nurse to double check what I can take while bf'ing and give him, she tried to talk me into bringing him in to check for an ear infection. (He is showing NO signs of an ear infection at all and would not hesitate to grab his ear if it bothered him.) I am considering bringing him in just to find out from my ped if there is anything else I can do for him and to make sure it's a cold but DH thinks it's a waste and they will just tell us to keep doing what we are doing and that it's a cold. (DS is now walking around and smiling and babbling. Seems a lot more comfortable at the moment than I am. He last had motrin 5 hours ago.) I would feel better about skipping the doctor if we weren't both going to a meeting tonight so my sister and mom will be babysitting him for several hours and he did have a really rough night before he finally fell asleep last night.

Would you take him in just to be on the safe side?
If not, I am rotating tylenol and motrin, have a vaporizor running, offering extra bottles of cold breastmilk between feedings (because I know cold is feeling good on my throat) anything else I can do for him?

marymoo86
02-08-2012, 10:59 AM
I have had a bad cold for a couple of days (sore throat, runny nose, feel like I got ran over.)

Pretty sure DS (9 months) has the same cold- runny nose, whiny, not sleeping well. (He is currently pretty happily playing on the floor with a box.) He is working on a top tooth, too. We had a rough night but he slept relatively well as long as I held him so he wasn't laying flat. (Mainly I was too miserable with my own ick to sleep well and worrying about him.) He may have had low grade fever a few times but we are rotating infant tylenol and motrin for the pain (he does get fussy around the time it is time more) and if he did have one, it was lowgrade and went away quickly. (Not sure if he was warm because I was warm and sleeping on me, or if it was a fever, I wasn't going to mess with getting up to get the thermometer when he was sleeping comfortably.)

Yesterday I called the ped and talked to a random nurse to double check what I can take while bf'ing and give him, she tried to talk me into bringing him in to check for an ear infection. (He is showing NO signs of an ear infection at all and would not hesitate to grab his ear if it bothered him.) I am considering bringing him in just to find out from my ped if there is anything else I can do for him and to make sure it's a cold but DH thinks it's a waste and they will just tell us to keep doing what we are doing and that it's a cold. (DS is now walking around and smiling and babbling. Seems a lot more comfortable at the moment than I am. He last had motrin 5 hours ago.) I would feel better about skipping the doctor if we weren't both going to a meeting tonight so my sister and mom will be babysitting him for several hours and he did have a really rough night before he finally fell asleep last night.

Would you take him in just to be on the safe side?
If not, I am rotating tylenol and motrin, have a vaporizor running, offering extra bottles of cold breastmilk between feedings (because I know cold is feeling good on my throat) anything else I can do for him?

Tough - ear infections and teething have very similar presentations. MY DD has yet to run a fever or another normal tell tale sign with an ear infection. Granted she's only had 2. The pain reliever could also be masking an ear infection. I might would take him for an ear check just for piece of mind. If there is no ear infection keep his nose irrigated to ensure no bacteria is pooling up that could cause one.

R2sweetboys
02-08-2012, 11:13 AM
I probably wouldn't bring him at this point but I'm pretty laid back about that stuff. Sounds like a cold, which of course will effect his sleep and make him grumpy. If you don't suspect an ear infection, I'd wait. If he runs a higher fever and seems more uncomfortable, have him checked out. Many ear infections will clear up on their own anyway, given time. They are often treated with abx to shorten the duration because the child is in pain. I hope your little guy is on the mend soon!

BabyBearsMom
02-08-2012, 11:17 AM
I think if there is no high level fever and he is playing/acting like himself, I probably wouldn't bring him in. But I try to avoid the pedi like the plague this time of year. It seems like everytiime DD and I go in during cold and flu season a day later we come down with something nasty. So if I can avoid exposing us to all the germs at the pedi's office, I do.

Giantbear
02-08-2012, 11:24 AM
i have a simple philosophy, when i am in doubt, i bring her in for a visit

khalloc
02-08-2012, 12:21 PM
I wouldnt bring my child in for a cold if they seemed happy like you describe. They are just going to tell you Tylenol if there's a fever, run a humidifier, use saline drops.

elephantmeg
02-08-2012, 01:00 PM
I don't take kids in unless they are looking like something hurts/or are really pathetic looking. Case in point, DD went in today because she told me her ear really hurt AND was up ALL NIGHT LONG fussing about her ear. It is easier when they can talk!