PDA

View Full Version : "Classic" clothing

ilfaith
02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
The thread about how much you would spend on an item talked a lot about spending more on "classic" items which can be worn for years. Which got me thinking about what qualifies as a "classic" and it also got me thinking about how even "classic" items can become dated because of some detail.

For example, I have a 15-year-old black crepe Tahari pantsuit hanging in my closet. It still fits, and the jacket isn't bad (aside from the dust on the shoulders) but the waist on the pants is high and while they drape through the thighs they do taper a bit at the hem. Of course when I purchased the suit I thought it would be a classic that would last for years, but styles do change.

I have shoes in my closet with pointy toes and shoes with squared-off toes, neither of which seem to be in vogue at the moment. The shoes are otherwise "classic" styles, yet I put them on and immediately feel they look dated. I hate to throw away shoes or handbags (or anything made of leather...I don't know why) but I am guessing that if the styes come back there will be some variation that will still make my shoes seem old.

Even a simple cashmere cardigan can seem not quite right if the neckline or ribbing at the cuffs is off, or the fit isn't the current style (too fitted? too boxy? too short? too long?) While most people aren't going to point out that it looks "so 2006" there will be fashionistas who would turn up their noses.

This is probably why I hate to spend a fortune on clothing. Sure the pants I paid $40 at the Limited or my Gap jeggings may not last a lifetime, but if they last me until bootcut trousers or skinny jeans become passe, I think I'll be happy.

I will spend money on something unique that makes me look and feel fabulous. This can be an item that transcends fashion. I bought a charmeuse blouse recently at Zara that I love. It has little black stars on a white background. I have a thing for stars (I still have fond memories of a red Kenzo blouse splattered with little green stars that I bought at The Limited back in high school, circa 1986). I paid full price. It wasn't extravagant, but it certainly wasn't a necessity. It makes me happy every time I wear it.

So what do you think constitutes a "classic" wardrobe item? What is worth the investment?

twowhat?
02-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Will definitely be following this thread!!! I can't bring myself to spend a lot of money for a single article of clothing because of EXACTLY this! For example, I have 2 JCrew suits that looked and felt great when I bought them in 2004-5. They still fit nicely, but when I put them on, I just feel dated. The arms aren't cut as slim as current styles, the pant legs seem too wide, the jackets seem a bit too long, the back flap pockets, things like that.

I have a couple of dresses (both black) that qualify as "little black dress" that I feel are classic - a sleeveless black velvet knee-length dress with v-neck and v-back, and a stretch wool fitted long-sleeve dress with v-neck (both j crew). The only other "classic" I can think of that I have is a dark charcoal pea coat.

Things I guess are classic:

Black pencil skirt
trouser jeans in a dark wash?
A simply styled knee-length little black dress
Pea coat or fitted wool coat

It's kind of driving me nuts that I can't think of anything else.

liamsmom
02-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Hmmm...

White button-down shirt
Black pumps
plain or conservative black or brown handbag

I agree that a little black dress and pencil skirt are pretty good bets for classic pieces.

alexsmommy
02-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Black sheath dress.
Basic black/brown pumps
Black/brown kitten heals
Simple black dress purse
White button down shirt

I do think pants change, where the waist should hit, how flared. I don't expect to get more than 5-7 year out of pants, BUT I wear black pants with so many things, a versitle pair will more than pay for itself in that amount of time. Same with a great basic, well cut black blazer.

DrSally
02-08-2012, 09:55 PM
I got rid of so many nice pants b/c the legs were tapered and the waist too high. Also, 2 great Br suitsnthat are so boxy and long. I can keep the skirts though. Seems like skirt shapes are more timeless. I also have some sweaters that are great quali, but just too boxy at this point. It's sad to see good items go b/c they're dated. My oldest items are prob dresses. Maybe dress shapes are more timeless.

speo
02-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Seems like skirt shapes are more timeless.

I have noticed this recently. I have some Ann Taylor a-line skirts from 2002/3 that really look like I could buy them now.

TxCat
02-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Off the top of my head:

white button-down shirt
sheath dress
pencil skirt
A-line/circle skirt
crewneck sweater
cable-knit sweater
turtleneck sweater
cardigan sweater
scarves
trench coat
black heels/pumps
D'orsay style pumps
Equestrian-style boots
fitted blazer
"clutch"-style purse

A lot of "high-end" brands tend to carry non-trendy styles in sweaters and pants, year after year. For instance, I love getting Ralph Lauren sweaters because their fit and style is usually always the same. They might have a few items that are experimenting with whatever is trendy at the moment, but they are also known for a slim-fitting crew-neck cable-knit sweater, and you can find that same style of sweater year after year. It's basically a Ralph Lauren classic staple. Armani and Max Mara are two other brands that tend to offer items that are very conservative interpretations of trends, or repeat the same silhouettes year after year - all three of these brands are really worth it if you find them on a good sale.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Chanel classic quilted 2.55 flap.
Louis Vuitton monogram speedy.
Hermes Kelly or Birkin
1ct diamond earrings

with clothes, i dunno...i only speak purse , mostly :D unfortunately i have none of the above...but someday...

kozachka
02-09-2012, 02:02 AM
I like TxCat's list, and choice of brands. I would also add the following items/brands:

- button down shirts, plain or striped
- simple, conservative silk blouses
- v-neck sweaters
- slim fitted polo shirts (by Lacoste, Ralph Lauren)
- boatneck t-shirts
- breton nautical l/s t-shirts
- wrap dress (by Diane von Furstenberg)
- tailored pinstripe navy/dark grey/black suit
- plain front pants, slim or wide leg or both, capri length for summer
- trench coat (by Burberry)
- leather blazer/moto jacket
- 3/4 length wool coat (by MaxMara)
- ballet flats
- sunglasses - oversized (think Jackie O), aviators (by Ray Ban), or whatever other style that fits you best
- classic styles of purses by Chanel, Hermes, Bottega Veneta, LV

I have several of the items mentioned above. To me key to having 'timeless' clothes and accessories is clean, simple lines/lack of embelishment, quality (of materials, make/tailoring) and fit to my body, personality and lifestyle. Think Audrey Hepburn but be sure to translate ;). I've also had things tailored and it makes a huge difference.

Wearing classics often means that you would not be 'on trend' and possibly even boring, but I'd rather look good than be fashionable. And buy cheaper items for trends. Also, keep in mind that the list above represents what looks good on my body type and face, and reflects my background and lifestyle. Yours might be quite different.

wallawala
02-09-2012, 02:35 PM
I like TxCat's list, and choice of brands. I would also add the following items/brands:

- button down shirts, plain or striped
- simple, conservative silk blouses
- v-neck sweaters
- slim fitted polo shirts (by Lacoste, Ralph Lauren)
- boatneck t-shirts
- breton nautical l/s t-shirts
- wrap dress (by Diane von Furstenberg)
- tailored pinstripe navy/dark grey/black suit
- plain front pants, slim or wide leg or both, capri length for summer
- trench coat (by Burberry)
- leather blazer/moto jacket
- 3/4 length wool coat (by MaxMara)
- ballet flats
- sunglasses - oversized (think Jackie O), aviators (by Ray Ban), or whatever other style that fits you best
- classic styles of purses by Chanel, Hermes, Bottega Veneta, LV

I have several of the items mentioned above. To me key to having 'timeless' clothes and accessories is clean, simple lines/lack of embelishment, quality (of materials, make/tailoring) and fit to my body, personality and lifestyle. Think Audrey Hepburn but be sure to translate ;). I've also had things tailored and it makes a huge difference.

Wearing classics often means that you would not be 'on trend' and possibly even boring, but I'd rather look good than be fashionable. And buy cheaper items for trends. Also, keep in mind that the list above represents what looks good on my body type and face, and reflects my background and lifestyle. Yours might be quite different.

:yeahthat:

I don't have most of these items, but would like to start (see my boot post). And if someone handed me a birkin bag... I'd take it!

Here's a link to recent discussion for 'classic' wardrobe' items on the blog YouLookFab (goldenpig has gotten me hooked!)
http://youlookfab.com/2012/01/17/the-power-of-classic-wardrobe-items/

wallawala
02-09-2012, 02:43 PM
What is worth the investment?

Ah! The best question!!

I think it depends on your lifestyle. I'm really struggling with this right now. Most of my clothing purchases are "emotional" not rational choices, but am sucked in by the memory of a few great investment pieces that were total impulse buys. Norstroms is my go to for "oh I want that but it's too expensive", and then end up loving it for seasons to come.

Interestingly there was also a recent discussion of how long to keep "classic" items if you're not using them on youlookfab. I think it speaks to the is it worth it decision... most people argued for a cost per wear as the basis of 'worth'.

There definately are several pieces in my wardrobe that perk up everything else I have on, and I get a lift from again and again. I'd say those are "worth it". For me, clothing all comes out of 'want' not 'need' budgeted money. I'd never go in to debt or put an article of wardrobe on a credit card I couldn't pay off that month.

goldenpig
02-09-2012, 05:02 PM
I have noticed this recently. I have some Ann Taylor a-line skirts from 2002/3 that really look like I could buy them now.
:yeahthat:
I recently did a major wardrobe overhaul after not having added anything to my wardrobe in 5-10 years aside from maternity clothes. I'm trying to think about what survived the huge purge I did, and I had a bunch of printed bias-cut skirts from Ann Taylor that I kept. Here are some other things that made the cut:
skirts--pencil, bias-cut, A line--mostly all from Ann Taylor
shoes--pumps, ballet flats, black heeled boots
dresses--Banana Republic wrap dress and black sheath dress
purses--red Fossil tote
jewelry--didn't have much but most of it stayed

Here are the things that seemed dated and got purged:
trousers--mostly all too baggy and wide looking and length too short (I didn't know about perfect pants length)
cardigans--had a bunch of AT cardigan twinsets that were worn and felt stale (now I am getting some more updated cardigan styles)
tops and shirts--all either too boxy or worn out or too short for my mummy tummy
coats/jackets--mostly too big (I bought too big for my size) and/or worn

Here are the new things that I bought that I think will be classics:
boots--flat and heeled
ballet flats--Stuart Weitzman
coats--black trench, single-breasted wool coat, peacoats and leather jackets
button down shirts--three from Anne Fontaine in white, black, cream
skirts--pencil skirt, tweed skirt
dresses--fitted purple sheath dress
purses--Fossil satchels
jewelry
scarves
belts

I love that YLF post that wallawala linked to (what's your username there BTW? I haven't seen you post anything yet!). I had this aversion to the term "classic" because in my mind it equaled "boring" but now I realize that true classics stand the test of time and are always in fashion. Sometimes the cuts or details change but if you get something simple and well made you can wear it for decades (as long as your body stays the same size).

sntm
02-09-2012, 05:04 PM
With pants, you need a classic cut, not just fabric, but fabric makes a difference. Crepe usually doesn't wear well long term.

Classic cut is at the waist or slightly below, straight or slightly wide leg, no pleats. Fit is important. Blazer style changes a lot - sweaters are usually classic if well-fitted, so not tight but not loose or oversized.

In terms of brand, there are solid pieces that will not be classic - Tahari, Ann Taylor, etc are like that.

Combinations make a difference too. A "classic" piece with a more trendy piece will update the whole look.

Ladybug47
02-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I have an issue with "classics," because although I think something classic from my wardrobe might still look good on me, I always get hung up on the old-school memories associated with the item (i.e. I wore that out with so-and-so, I wore that during job interviews the summer of 200X, etc.). Also, so many events are captured in photos that I always wonder if someone will notice that I'm wearing pants from ten years ago... I usually just let the older classics mellow in my closet until one day when I get fed up with storing them and then I clear things out for donation. There are very few items in my wardrobe that can actually survive more than about five to seven years of style and trend changes before they just look wacky on me when I put them on and try to see them with fresh eyes!

nupe
02-10-2012, 02:17 AM
I had bought a number of work clothes from BR about 10 years ago, really nice fabrics, and at that time a bit loose on me. Now although they technically fit me, they aren't flattering waist lines, and many have tapered legs. I donated most of my tapered leg pants a few years back post DC2 pregnancy. I kept the straight leg ones but I wear them infrequently due to the less flattering nature of the cut. I did have some great tops and sweatsr in size 2 and 4, which were classic fabrics and cuts, but after DC1, even getting back to the old weight, my shoulders/chest and arms are just no longer the "adolescent" size of my pre child adulthood. I gave all but a couple stretchy cashmere sweaters away. So even if the clothes maintain their charm, their interaction with my body and it's aging (reshaping over time) isn't always a given.