PDA

View Full Version : REI winter clearance deals

NCGrandma
02-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I think that REI's winter sale has been going on for a while, but I just stopped there today ... and was glad I did. Many items seem to be 75% off, and in NC, the demand for cold-weather wear apparently hasn't been high.

For next winter, I got a very nice REI fleece bunting for DGD2, and an REI fleece pullover top and Patagonia long underwear bottoms for DGD1, and the best part: I got over $100 of stuff for under $25 !!!

curiousgeorge
02-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Just got back from REI and was coming to post. Great finds are there to be had!!

According to the cashier that helped me, their winter clearance officially starts tomorrow but everything is already marked down in stores today and now that I'm home and looking online, the sale appears to be on there too. If you don't see what you want online, definitely check your store. Mine had a good selection.

I didn't realize this until I checked out so I'm going to have to go back (baby was fussy!!) and scour the racks some more.

My quick finds:

REI Boys Windclimate Fleece Jacket:
http://www.rei.com/product/815980/rei-windclimate-fleece-jacket-boys
Normally $60, marked down to $20.
These are out of stock online but my store had a pretty good selection in both dark gray and blue.

REI Boys Down Vest:
http://www.rei.com/product/801887/rei-down-vest-boys
Normally $65, down to $20.
My store had orange, green and black in both little kids and boys sizes.

Women's Keen Bern Baby Bern Boots
http://www.rei.com/product/804065/keen-bern-baby-bern-boots-womens
Normally $150, down to $75.
Only a couple of sizes online but my store had many more sizes.

Acorn slippers
http://www.rei.com/product/804132/acorn-cozy-slippers-kids
Normally $23, now $11.

Happy shopping, hope this helps someone!

Mommaof3
02-09-2012, 02:05 PM
I got DS a North Face Denali jacket for $34.xx It was the only one left and size 4T, will be putting it away for next year!

MomtoNico
02-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Mommaof3- Which store did you go to? Thanks

Mommaof3
02-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Derby St Shops in Hingham MA

Momit
02-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks! I was just there 2 days ago and was surprised that there weren't any great winter clearance prices yet.

JBsmom
02-09-2012, 03:49 PM
WOW! Thanks OP- I got 4 fleece jackets, 1 fleece shirt, 1 down vest, and 1 pair of socks (to get free shipping) for $50.81 shipped! They were all toddler sizes except for 1 XXS girls jacket.

nabigus
02-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Are the prices the same in store as online?

curiousgeorge
02-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Are the prices the same in store as online?

Yes, from what I've seen. But my store had more selection than online.

NCGrandma
02-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Here are my finds (now that I'm back at my computer) -- looks like the in-store and online prices are pretty similar but there are definitely some things on clearance in the store that are not marked down online.

Fleece bunting, orig. $42.xx now $11.xx: http://www.rei.com/product/816027/rei-snowy-creek-suit-infant-girls -- I like that both the sleeves and legs have foldover cuffs.

Fleece crew top, orig. $29.xx now $6.xx: http://www.rei.com/product/816078/rei-selkirk-microfleece-crew-top-girls

Patagonia Capilene long underwear bottoms: http://www.rei.com/product/817273/patagonia-capilene-3-midweight-long-underwear-bottoms-girls -- NOTE: these are still the original price, $29, online, but in-store I paid $4.xx -- maybe because the ones they had in-store were a rather odd peach color instead of magenta...

You can see why I was one happy grandma!

Penny's Pappa
02-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Just FYI, if you bought anything there recently check to see if they've been marked down. I bought about $100 worth of stuff last week only to find out last night they were being discounted. I called REI and they're going to make a price adjustment. Saved me $30!!

cindys
02-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Does anyone know how the vests run?

I would like to get these for my little boys for now and yet be able to wear next year.

I wanted to order online because by the time I get to a store I am sure everything will be gone :(

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...3, 5 & 20 :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

LMPC
02-09-2012, 04:56 PM
I would say REI kids' vests run TTS or maybe a little big. DD is wearing a size 3T and I think she will be able to wear it again next year.

ECMom
02-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Bogs for kids are $31.83 with a good selection of sizes. Women's Classic Black Shine Bogs are $39.83 but only sizes 9 &10 are left.

urquie
02-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks OP!!

Eta: an employee told me that items ending in 83 cents, were final mark down prices and those ending in 93 cents, where first mark downs. He also said they don't do 50% off clearance sales anymore, they just order less product now.
Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

RoxanneC
02-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks OP! I went to my local REI this morning and got, for next year:

REI snow pants
http://www.rei.com/product/816050/rei-timber-mountain-pants-infanttoddler-girls
REI mountain jacket
http://www.rei.com/product/816049/rei-timber-mountain-jacket-infanttoddler-girls
REI fleece jacket
http://www.rei.com/product/816022/rei-snowy-creek-fleece-jacket-toddler-girls

There was still a good selection when I left. But, now I think we're set.:)

JanBaby
02-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks OP! I went to my local REI this morning and got, for next year:

REI snow pants
http://www.rei.com/product/816050/rei-timber-mountain-pants-infanttoddler-girls
REI mountain jacket
http://www.rei.com/product/816049/rei-timber-mountain-jacket-infanttoddler-girls
REI fleece jacket
http://www.rei.com/product/816022/rei-snowy-creek-fleece-jacket-toddler-girls

There was still a good selection when I left. But, now I think we're set.:)

How warm is the REI mountain jacket? I'm thinking of getting one to put away for DS. Would you compare it to the LE Squall jacket? Thanks!

sewarsh
02-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks OP!!

Eta: an employee told me that items ending in 83 cents, were final mark down prices and those ending in 93 cents, where first mark downs. He also said they don't do 50% off clearance sales anymore, they just order less product now.
Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

did he mention when they were going to mark the .93 stuff down?? :)

wallawala
02-11-2012, 06:43 PM
I just got back and got a bunch of stuff for the kids for next year.

REI down jackets for $25 (or) 18m and 3T
Columbia omnisheild bib snowpants $17 (or) 2T and 3T
Mountain Hardware Downtown down jkt $54 (or 125)- black xs girls
An assortment of long underwear $6-11

The smartwool hat and glove sets for toddlers were marked down to $20 in the store, but are online for $10. I didn't see any smartwool socks for toddlers on sale (the whole point of my trip there... oh well)

Didn't really look at the adult stuff as we invested in some really good snowpants, gloves, and down for our family ski trip last year at the REI sale... and it's going to be awesome for years to come. Good investment, but no need to shop for us :cry:

Don't forget, there is no expiration date for returns, so if you are buying ahead for next year, you can take it back if it doesn't fit. Your receipt is stored on your REI account, so don't even need to keep track of that if you are a member. I hate returns, but the SA at the register said tons of parents buy several sizes and then return what doesn't work in the fall... where other grateful parents happily buy the deals... so she said REI is totally fine if you return a year or two later. Sweet!

RoxanneC
02-11-2012, 06:45 PM
How warm is the REI mountain jacket? I'm thinking of getting one to put away for DS. Would you compare it to the LE Squall jacket? Thanks!

When you go to there website, the first review I found pretty accurate. They said its a great layering jacket, nice and long and cozy (being fleece-lined). Here in Chicago its important to have a jacket that can withstand the cold weather and this looks like it will do the trick. This year we have a wonderful Columbia jacket and it looks pretty-much the same. The waist is not as cinched and its missing maybe an inch in where it zips up (the REI jacket still covers the neck but the Columbia one zips an inch more up and has a velcro closing on top of the zipper closing), BUT this mountain jacket looks and feels pretty much the same. I love that is windproof and water resistant.

I bought the fleece jacket for underneath because this is definitely a layering jacket. Overall its very substantial and I think its a keeper. HTH.:)

Edit: I forgot to add, I bought the LE squall jacket (its still in my car trunk waiting to be returned!:)) I wasn't a fan. It didn't seem substantial. The LEI jacket seems geared more toward the outdoors.

PAfirsttimemom
02-12-2012, 09:18 PM
I picked up a few pairs of Smartwool socks on clearance today at my store. The best deal was this: a pair of kids' wintersport socks marked down from $14.95 to $6.83 to $4.83, but they rang up $1.83!

This is the style, but the color is a really nice dark navy. Maybe a discontinued color?
http://www.rei.com/product/817879/smartwool-wintersport-stripe-socks-kids

YMMV

wifecat
02-12-2012, 10:43 PM
I went today and mine was pretty picked over, except for the Keen Bern low boots! I got them for $29. Whoohoo! They had tons of sizes left in both the brown and black and I just couldn't believe the price.

Ms B
02-12-2012, 11:13 PM
A few good deals at my local store --

Marmot Kitzbuhel vest, marked down to $69.xx from $100; North Face half-zip fleece marked down to $46.xx from $79; Smartwool socks $8.xx, marked down from $14.

Not great, but still decent. Last year I waited for the second round of markdowns and missed out on the color vest I wanted; this year I got what I went for.

PAfirsttimemom
02-13-2012, 01:03 PM
I went today and mine was pretty picked over, except for the Keen Bern low boots! I got them for $29. Whoohoo! They had tons of sizes left in both the brown and black and I just couldn't believe the price.

I saw these, too, and I passed them up, but now I am having regrets. They'd be great everyday winter boots, and what a great price. I tried on the 7.5 and they seemed to be snug. I wanted to try the 8 but it was very busy in the department and I had already tried on a whole bunch of other boots, so I was a little overwhelmed and left without anything. It's a 40-minute drive to my store. Worth another trip back? Argh. Maybe I'll wait till after tomorrow. I got DH a pair of Sorrell slippers on sale, and if they don't fit, they will have to be returned. Maybe that will be my excuse to check back on the Keen boots. :-)

ett
02-13-2012, 02:58 PM
I saw these, too, and I passed them up, but now I am having regrets. They'd be great everyday winter boots, and what a great price. I tried on the 7.5 and they seemed to be snug. I wanted to try the 8 but it was very busy in the department and I had already tried on a whole bunch of other boots, so I was a little overwhelmed and left without anything. It's a 40-minute drive to my store. Worth another trip back? Argh. Maybe I'll wait till after tomorrow. I got DH a pair of Sorrell slippers on sale, and if they don't fit, they will have to be returned. Maybe that will be my excuse to check back on the Keen boots. :-)

I got the Keen Bern low boots today in black. They definitely run small. I'm usually a size 7 or 7.5 and the 7.5 were very snug. I needed the size 8. They had lots of sizes in both brown and black.

Also got 2 pairs of smartwool socks for DS2.

PAfirsttimemom
02-13-2012, 04:21 PM
I got the Keen Bern low boots today in black. They definitely run small. I'm usually a size 7 or 7.5 and the 7.5 were very snug. I needed the size 8. They had lots of sizes in both brown and black.

Also got 2 pairs of smartwool socks for DS2.

Thanks for the size confirmation. If I decide to go back I'll call first and make sure they have the 8 in stock.

melonkelli
02-16-2012, 09:54 PM
I bought 2 pair of the Keen Bern Low boot today in my size, but not in the color that I really wanted. My store had Oatmeal and Black, but not Oak -- so I called around and found it at another store and they're shipping to me for free. She asked why I hadn't just stopped at customer service where they would have located it and sent it to me -- next time I'll try that!

Kelli (Sunnyvale, CA)

PAfirsttimemom
02-16-2012, 11:03 PM
I bought 2 pair of the Keen Bern Low boot today in my size, but not in the color that I really wanted. My store had Oatmeal and Black, but not Oak -- so I called around and found it at another store and they're shipping to me for free. She asked why I hadn't just stopped at customer service where they would have located it and sent it to me -- next time I'll try that!

Kelli (Sunnyvale, CA)

Hmmm. REI is a pretty far drive for me. I wonder if I called the store if they would ship the boots to me as well?

wifecat
02-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the size confirmation. If I decide to go back I'll call first and make sure they have the 8 in stock.

They are definitely snug - at first. I've worn them a few days and they loosen up quickly. Keens always run a little small on me - I have several pairs and always get an 8.5, though I'm an 8 in most everything else. This time, I almost went with the 9 and I am SO glad I didn't. The shoes would have been slipping all over if I went with the 9! Just something to consider as you try them on.

ett
02-16-2012, 11:29 PM
They are definitely snug - at first. I've worn them a few days and they loosen up quickly. Keens always run a little small on me - I have several pairs and always get an 8.5, though I'm an 8 in most everything else. This time, I almost went with the 9 and I am SO glad I didn't. The shoes would have been slipping all over if I went with the 9! Just something to consider as you try them on.

Hmmm .. I wonder if I should go back and try the 7.5 on again. How much do they loosen up. The 7.5 were quite tight. The 8 fit perfectly right now.

melonkelli
02-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Hmmm. REI is a pretty far drive for me. I wonder if I called the store if they would ship the boots to me as well?

It doesn't hurt to ask. They have "free shipping, no minimum" listed on their site right now (through feb 20?).

PAfirsttimemom
02-17-2012, 11:14 AM
It doesn't hurt to ask. They have "free shipping, no minimum" listed on their site right now (through feb 20?).

Just may try that. Thanks.

PAfirsttimemom
02-17-2012, 11:58 AM
For anyone who is interested, I called my nearest REI, and the Keen low boot was in stock in my size (in both colors) and they are shipping it to me for free. Sounds like the policy is they will ship for free from a store as long as they are offering free shipping on the Web site.

The model number of the Keen Bern Low boot is 8238470005 if you want to view it on the REI Web site. (It is out of stock for purchase online.)

Thanks to the PP who posted about the possibility of free shipping from store. Can't wait till my black boots are delivered to my doorstep! :cheerleader1:

ETA: The previous poster is correct that the free shipping offer is on till Feb 20.

PAfirsttimemom
02-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Hmmm .. I wonder if I should go back and try the 7.5 on again. How much do they loosen up. The 7.5 were quite tight. The 8 fit perfectly right now.

I ended up going with the 8. Hope it works.

wolverine2
02-17-2012, 01:45 PM
For anyone who is interested, I called my nearest REI, and the Keen low boot was in stock in my size (in both colors) and they are shipping it to me for free. Sounds like the policy is they will ship for free from a store as long as they are offering free shipping on the Web site.

The model number of the Keen Bern Low boot is 8238470005 if you want to view it on the REI Web site. (It is out of stock for purchase online.)

Thanks to the PP who posted about the possibility of free shipping from store. Can't wait till my black boots are delivered to my doorstep! :cheerleader1:

ETA: The previous poster is correct that the free shipping offer is on till Feb 20.

Thanks for the tip... I called my local store and they had a pair in my size!

kissmekate
02-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Does anyone know when they will have 2nd markdowns?

urquie
02-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Does anyone know when they will have 2nd markdowns?

If the item's price ends in $.83, there will be no more mark downs... as told to me by an employee.