PDA

View Full Version : Would a Balance Bike be good for my kids?

khalloc
02-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Neither of my 2 kids know how to ride a bike without training wheels.

DD is 6 and has a 16" bike with training wheels on it.

DS is about to turn 4 and I was going to buy him the same sized bike as DD's (with training wheels)

Now I was thinking that maybe a balance bike might be a good gift for his birthday (along with the regular bike?) and that both him and DD could use it to get the hang of riding a bike without training wheels.

Good idea or no?

roseyloxs
02-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Go Glider (http://www.amazon.com/Glide-Bikes-GG-16P-Pink-Glider/dp/B001HX3CEU) is the only 16" balance bike I know of. Its very important that the rider be able to touch the ground with both feet at the same time when riding a balance bike. So I would only get this 16" frame if you are sure you son is tall enough for it. The glider site says that the go glider is for "Sized for ages 5-10 with inseam of 17.-25"

I definitely think the balance bike (if they are interested in it) will teach them how to ride a bike. However since they are older its possible they will use it for a very very short time and move on to their pedal bikes. I wouldn't even be surprised if your 6 year old could learn how to ride a bike in one day after using the balance bike. Then again maybe she is more conservative and would take her time, who knows?

khalloc
02-09-2012, 04:01 PM
I didnt mean that the balance bike had to be 16". Just that I was going to buy my son a 16" bike. I am sure he wont be able to touch the ground on a 16" bike, but I think its a little silly to buy a 12" bike and then have him only use it a year because its too small for him next year. I think he's around 40" tall now. I will have him try his sister's 16" bike for size before I go out and buy him one.

WatchingThemGrow
02-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Can you remove the pedals on the bike you already have, then reattach them? A bike shop took pedals off one for me for $25, which was the same price as buying the tool to do it myself. Our 5.5 year old rides a 20" bike, so I wouldn't necessarily buy another 16".

khalloc
02-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Well DDs bike cannot be passed down to DS. It's pink with a Disney Princess theme. DS wants a spiderman bike. I know e bikes aren't the best bikes out there but kids love when it has their fav characters on them and when they outgrow the bikes I won't feel that bad since I only paid like $65.

You know DDs bike might be a 20" bike. I really forget. But whatever size it is, that's the same size I am envisioning for DSs new bike.

LaCostaMom
02-10-2012, 03:45 AM
I'd go with a balance bike and would consider a Kinderbike Morph at this point:

http://www.kidsbalancebikes.com/all-balance-bikes/metal-balance-bikes/kinderbike-morph-en/

http://www.kinderbikeusa.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83&Itemid=54

...simply because most balance bikes are 12" and only the Go-Glider would be big enough.

As already pointed out, your DS would probably not use a balance bike for very long at this point. My DD started riding hers in mid-Dec and she is ready for a pedal bike. Our friends started their DD on a balance bike in January and she is definitely ready for a pedal bike as well. They are both turning 4 next month.

My son will be 4 next month, is about 42" tall and rides a 16" Specialized Hotrock pedal bike; he is just about able to flat-foot it. He started out in January tip-toeing.

I think a 20" would be way too big for your son at this point even as a pedal bike. I think that's a mistake parents often make. We have a friend whose DS has a 16" with training wheels and his toes don't even touch the ground. He is constantly falling over the way kids fall over in tricycles. Kids feet when learning to balance really need to be flat feet to the ground, IMO, so they have confidence they can catch themselves and have their feet touching solid ground. Just my 2 cents. :)

roseyloxs
02-10-2012, 07:58 AM
I didnt mean that the balance bike had to be 16". Just that I was going to buy my son a 16" bike. I am sure he wont be able to touch the ground on a 16" bike, but I think its a little silly to buy a 12" bike and then have him only use it a year because its too small for him next year. I think he's around 40" tall now. I will have him try his sister's 16" bike for size before I go out and buy him one.

Okay. I thought maybe your son was tall for his age since you were considering a 16" bike. I might skip the pedal bike and just get him a balance bike. Then once he is tall enough to use a 16" bike he can upgrade. He needs to be able to at least tiptoe with the pedal bike or he won't be able to use it comfortably. I would measure his inseam and use this chart to find a good sized balance bike for him. http://www.kidsbalancebikes.com/which-bike-is-best-for-my-child.html There are a bunch of brands not on there but once you find out his inseam you can shop more confidently.