PDA

View Full Version : Would you send DC to school with diarrhea from antibiotics?

mmsmom
02-09-2012, 07:50 PM
DD has been on antibiotics for an ear infection for almost 2 weeks (1st one wasn't working so we switched after 1 week). She has diarrhea which I know is from the antibiotic. I am trying to get yogurt & probiotics into her but she isn't cooperating much. She is totally fine otherwise. So, is it okay to send her to preschool? It is highly unlikely that she would have diarrhea there; she does not go away from home and will withhold (another issue) until she is home. She was withholding this diarrhea all day so I am pretty sure whe will not go in the the 2.5 hours of school tomorrow.

hillview
02-09-2012, 07:52 PM
I would keep her home. Poop is messy.

YouAreTheFocus
02-09-2012, 07:55 PM
I would keep her home. A little kid trying to hold diarrhea is a ticking time bomb.

rin
02-09-2012, 08:03 PM
I would keep her home. A little kid trying to hold diarrhea is a ticking time bomb.

:yeahthat:

Have you tried those capsules of probiotics? We get those for our DD, break the capsules open, and sprinkle the probiotic powder into her milk or applesauce. It doesn't taste like anything really (as far as I can tell), so as long as she doesn't see us doing it she'll take it just fine.

barkley1
02-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Our preschool specifically states that sending them with even antibiotic-related diarrhea isn't allowed. I feel your pain, though....

On another note, DS has recently started this holding BM business after an unsuccessful potty training attempt ( he's 2.5). How are you dealing with that issue? I need some advice!

KpbS
02-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Definitely not. Could be potentially awful.

ha98ed14
02-09-2012, 09:20 PM
No way. What if that is the one day she poops her pants? IME, the big D is one time where you cannot withhold when the urge hits.

dogmom
02-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Even if it is diarrhea r/t antibiotics it could be something like CDiff and therefore is actually contagious. No, don't send her.

mmsmom
02-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks everyone! I didn't send her but I should have stated that she does wear a pull-up at school (actually Mother's Morning Out) as we are just starting potty training.

Our preschool specifically states that sending them with even antibiotic-related diarrhea isn't allowed. I feel your pain, though....

On another note, DS has recently started this holding BM business after an unsuccessful potty training attempt ( he's 2.5). How are you dealing with that issue? I need some advice!

I am not dealing with it very well because as I said she was holding in this diarrhea all day. I put her on the potty at least 10 times. I really don't know how she did it. She did finally go in a pull up. She talks to it & says "poopy go away". We try to reason with her... bribe her.... tell her she will have to go to the Dr. and he will have to get the poopy out.... doesn't work. I know a lot have been through this & I need to search some threads for ideas.