PDA

View Full Version : *Update #9: If your DC has anxiety, what are the signs?

randomkid
02-09-2012, 11:41 PM
DD has always been a very emotional and sensitive child. However, in the past year, she has had episodes of what she calls "freaking out". They look like anxiety or panic attacks to me. I am usually able to calm her down and work her out of it. They are usually over nothing or, possibly, over something she can't verbalize. I would guess she has had maybe 3 episodes in the past year. However, this week has been especially bad. She was sick with a stomach bug weekend before last and since then has been terrified she will throw up again. She has been complaining of stomachaches and headaches. I do believe her stomach hurts and we likely introduced milk back into her diet too soon, so I am cutting that out again. Tonight, I felt the muscles in her neck and shoulders and she is all knotted up. So, I am sure she is having tension headaches. She is 7yo. This just doesn't seem normal to me. She has always been a worrier and tends to see the negative side of things. Tonight she said "I hate my life and I don't think I will ever like it again". This really concerns me for the teenage years! I know the source of this and without going into a lot of detail (unless you need it), her beloved teacher resigned unexpectedly - announced on Thursday evening and Monday was her last day. New teacher started on Tuesday. This was last week, so this is the second week with the new teacher. DD says this teacher wants everything to be perfect and that she "yells" at the kids. I think she has DD totally stressed out. I am getting ready to e-mail the guidance counselor at school, but I just feel DD's reactions are more intense than they should be. Tonight, she kept saying she thought she was going to vomit and she started shaking and saying she was going to "freak out". I was able to keep her calm by wiping her face with a cool cloth. So, does my child have anxiety or is this episodic? Last week, she had an attack because she said she didn't like breathing in. This happened again tonight. Again, both of these incidents have occurred since the new teacher started. Please advise!

goldenpig
02-10-2012, 03:49 AM
I couldn't read and not post. I'm so sorry your daughter is so stressed out and anxious! Hugs to her and you! I'm not an expert, but have you seen her pediatrician? Maybe she can get a referral for a pediatric psych evaluation? Hope things calm down and that your daughter feels better soon! :hug:

KpbS
02-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Definitately sounds like anxiety to me. I'd call the ped for a referral or ask anyone who has been down a similar road in your area. I don't have experience with childhood anxiety--hoping some others will chime in, like Pinkmomagain, Dietcokelover, egoldber. Sending huge hugs! :hug:

lil_acorn
02-10-2012, 08:52 AM
When my kids have anxiety, it usually manifests itself in stomach aches and nausea.

megs4413
02-10-2012, 09:24 AM
As a totally non-qualified armchair psychiatrist, yes that sounds like anxiety to me. my DD was diagnosed last year. She is 6 now.

Until we moved in August, she was receiving talk therapy with a child psych once a week. She absolutely loved it and it eliminated all of her more extreme anxiety-induced behaviors (she was doing things like pulling her eyelashes out).

Indianamom2
02-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Yep, that sounds like anxiety and quite possibly some panic attacks manifesting themselves over this situation. Your pediatrician can refer you to a developmental pedi or child psychologist/psychiatrist to help work through this. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy tends to be the go-to recommendation, with or without meds for this.

DD is also 7 and has major anxiety, so we've been there, done that and there are LOTS of tummy aches and feeling like she's going to vomit. In fact, she has made herself sick a few times. It's not fun.

LMPC
02-10-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm not a child psychologist but it does sound like anxiety and possibly some depression. I would get a referral to a child psychologist as soon as possible....preferably one that works with the family as well (which can be very helpful).

HUGS to you and your DD!!!

Melbel
02-10-2012, 03:20 PM
It does sound like anxiety to me, with the change in teachers causing a spike in her symptoms.

DS began suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks last May, a couple months after he started suffering from a myriad of neurological problems (vertigo, balance disorder, insomnia, memory problems, fatigue, sensory processing dysfunction, migraines, etc.). After many months of suffering, it turned out to be Lyme Disease. After about 2.5 weeks of antibiotics, we are seeing tremendous improvement, including his anxiety symptoms (no panic attacks and we have cut down his as needed anxiety medications by about 80%). Based upon our experience, particularly if there has been a change in behavior, it would be my advice to run a Lyme blood test (preferably a Western Blot that breaks down into specific bands) and have the results read by a Lyme knowledgable doctor (the CDC/Infectious Disease standard results in far too many false negatives). Neck pain, stomach aches, head aches and anxiety are all symptoms of Lyme. Other common symptoms include shortness of breath (described as air hunger), joint pain/swelling, muscle pain, etc. FWIW, we did not know that DS had been bitten by a tick, and never saw the classic bulls eye rash indicative of Lyme Disease (only seen 1/2 the cases). Lyme symptoms tend to be vague, and kids are not very good at articulating what is wrong.

With DS, we could not talk DS out of a true panic attack, it had to run its course. We did have more luck in talking him down from anxiety attacks. Cognitive behavioral therapy and/or medications can really help with anxiety. In our case, Lyme was causing the anxiety, so we really had a hard time making any progress with the child psychologist; DS was extremely sensitive to medications (also indicative of Lyme).

randomkid
02-10-2012, 07:38 PM
I kept DD home from school today because it was a half day and they weren't doing any work. It was Grandparents' Day and that was the only think on the agenda. I did get a call from the guidance counselor who also happens to have a daughter in DD's class. It was an interesting conversation because she kept switching hats between guidance counselor and Mom. She expressed some of the same concerns I have had about this teacher and said that her DD, who is also very sensitive, has had some issues as well, saying that the teacher is very "strict". She told me that she has heard from several parents and has counseled several children from the class. I was relieved to hear that DD was not exaggerating or making things out to be something they aren't. She put DD on her schedule for Monday. I will wait to hear back from her and get her feedback on DD's anxiety level.

I am thinking that it might be a good idea for her to see someone. She worries about things like dying (me and her) - not now, but in the future. Funny thing is, she doesn't worry about my parents dying, even though they are much older. I am glad she is able to talk to me about her concerns, but it makes me wonder how often she worries about these things, but doesn't express them to me.

Melbel - thanks for the info on Lyme. I will definitely keep that in mind if she gets worse.

FWIW, DD is totally fine most of the time. Just once in a while something crops up. It has just been especially bad since her teacher left. She is completely fine and happy today. I did let her go spend the afternoon/evening with my parents since that was the original plan. You all have given me something to think about. I don't want my child to feel anxious and would love to help her be a more relaxed child.

vludmilla
02-10-2012, 09:04 PM
You have received good advice already but I'll just add that I think a child psychologist with a specialty in CBT is invaluable.

Someone else posted this book recommendation recently (maybe egoldber?) http://www.amazon.com/Freeing-Your-Child-Anxiety-Practical/dp/0767914929 and I agree that it is a great resource for parents of anxious children. It won't resolve your DD's anxiety but it will help you avoid inadvertently reinforcing her anxious thoughts.