PDA

View Full Version : Exactly how much safer is a 5 point harness for a 5-year old?

nurseapril
02-10-2012, 09:40 AM
DH and I are arguing a lot over carseats these days. Lightweight, compact carseats are the most important to him since we travel a lot. I think he wants to divorce me everytime he has to handle our Radian:p. Currently I have a 2 year old in a marathon (which is about to expire), a 5 year old in a radian (I will pass that to the 2 year old) and a 7 year old in a HB booster.

I already won the argument on having our 2 year old rearface. Since I used political capital on that, I can't seem to get him to agree on a 5 point harness for our small 5 year old (40 pounds, 42"). He wants a small backless turbo booster for him. Again, lightweight and portability is extremely important to him. I want a Frontier, but he would seriously die with that monster unless I have some very good reasons on why it is safer.

So having said that, can someone point me to some very good literature/studies/recommendations on why my 5 year old needs a 5 point harness? Because to win this one, I need a good reason-or just resign to the fact that it isn't that much safer and go with a small booster. TIA!

mom2binsd
02-10-2012, 10:09 AM
My argument is that if the five year old is out of position when you're in a crash in a booster there could be serious consequences, whereas the 5pt is going to hold them in place and MY five year old is in no way mature enough to ALWAYS be in position.

I know that the techs can probably show you some information on how small children can SUBMARINE out of boosters as well.

The other day I had to stop short, and my DD who is in booster was not happy at how the seatbelt felt when that happened...the child in the 5pt (my almost 6 year old who is 42lbs and 44") didn't feel a thing.

I think the 5pt and how it distributes the forces is another reason I prefer it for the smaller frames.

I'll also let the techs chime in as to why a HBB is much better than a backless.

Joolsplus2
02-10-2012, 10:15 AM
At least compromise with a booster that goes from highback to backless? The Parkway SG or SGL also has an optional crotch belt clip to hold the lapbelt down better in a crash. How about an Evenflo Maestro? Light and becomes a booster later.
Boosters are statistically 'safe enough' for 5 yo's, so I don't know if we have anything to help you out with there, but only you know your kid well enough to know if they will stay properly positioned/not fall asleep/not drive you insane with reminding them to sit properly (My kids are good when one is unharnessed, bad when more than one is unharnessed, they like to lean over to share toys/food/video game screens. Ugh).

AnnieW625
02-10-2012, 01:39 PM
We moved DD1 to a Graco Turbo high back in September so she was almost 5/1/2. DD1 is very well behaved and sits in position in the car. We decided she was ready. We used the Turbo backless last week for 4 days (we had a rental car, post plane trip she did not sit as nicely when she was awake as she does with the highback. Both Dh and I agreed that for the next couple of years except for field trips we will be taking the back on trips and the back will stay on the seat.

legaleagle
02-10-2012, 03:08 PM
How about a safeguard go (or whatever they're called now) for travel? Harness, but super light and folds up. Or one of those ride safer travel vests. Since you have another one to pass down to, should get lots of use out of both.

jjordan
02-10-2012, 08:38 PM
I would save the battles for something where you have more data to back you up. ;) A lighter harnessed seat (like the evenflo maestro) or a light highback booster that can be used backless down the road (like the Parkway SG/SGL) would be a good compromise, IMO. Or, since he likes the turbobooster, maybe a highback turbobooster would be okay with him.

The main thing, if you have a 5 year old in a booster, is that the seatbelt is positioned well on the child and the child sits properly the whole time. So work on that!

nurseapril
02-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Thank you for the great info! If there really isn't a statistical difference in safety between the booster and 5 point harness, we will just get the Parkway. I do have to say the Safety 1st Hybrid really peaked my interest though!

Thanks again!

legaleagle
02-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Sounds perfect, and the nice thing about a booster is you won't have to install it in the airport parking lot either!