PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear of wrapping post childbirth?

BabyBearsMom
02-10-2012, 10:27 AM
My massage therapist was telling me about "wrapping" at our last appointment. She said that some women wrap themselves with fabric, not too tight but firmly, after childbirth and it helps the body return to its proper position. It came up because with both of my pregnancies, my hips have gone into completely the wrong spot and last time it took me months with a chiro to get them back into the right spot. Anyone done this? Anyone know anything about it? It sounds a little bit crazy to me, but I am a skeptic.

daisymommy
02-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Thats been the big new thing in recent years. Well, new to our culture, certainly not new in other countries where it's always done. I heard about it after having my DD 5 years ago, but never did it (bag over head).

There are many post-partum wrapping products out there at even Babies-R-Us, that look alot like pregnancy support bands, but more pressure, especially in the hip area.
http://successthroughplay.blogspot.com/2008/10/belly-bandit-belly-postpartum-belly.html

I know several moms who swear by the technique, and say they felt their hips and stomach muscles went back into place much easier and quicker, and recovery was better after using it.

Thanks for the reminder, I should try it this time around!

Melaine
02-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Is this the idea of the belly bandit or whatever?

daisymommy
02-10-2012, 10:47 AM
yep! I just updated my post with a link review about it :)

scrooks
02-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Can you wrap after a csection?

Mopey
02-10-2012, 12:12 PM
I was just checking this out yesterday as I am feeling very large and in charge and am looking forward to getting back in shape once the babe arrives. It makes perfect sense to me. And I did read that the wrapping is extra good to do for a cesarean belly.

I just wonder if it looks long enough? Does anyone know if they make long torso ones?

amldaley
02-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Can you wrap after a csection?

Yes, in fact you SHOULD use an abdominal binder at least for a couple of days after your c-section. It works a little differently than "wrapping" but it is the same concept. The reason it is even more important post c-section is that they actually cut through your abdominal muscles and the binding helps support them in place as they knit back together.

Your Dr can write a script for a post surgical abdomial binder for your initial swelling from surgery has gone down, you can use a product like the belly bandit.

I have been reading several websites on belly bandit and other post partum binders and posted a request for info in the Mom Wear forum but have not been back lately to see if there were any further responses.

lmh2402
02-10-2012, 03:12 PM
i have/used a splint pp with DS

used this one, along with her exercises. i think it helped: http://diastasisrehab.com/products.html

bisous
02-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Well, I tried it this time around. I bought a belly bandit and I just couldn't wear it. Life was too hard PP (painful c-section recovery, sleep deprived, fussy newborn) that it was just one more thing that complicated my life and I let it go. I probably SHOULD have worn mine, my stomach is an absolute mess but I couldn't hand how obnoxious and uncomfortable it was.

amm40
02-10-2012, 03:54 PM
They gave me one in the hospital, and I had one from DS1's C-section as well. I can't imagine a CS recovery without it! It really supports those muscles, made it much more comfortable to stand up, and did make my hips feel better too. These were the surgical stretchy velcro wraps. I wore it for over a month, and it did whittle my middle a bit. But I think I've undone all the good that it did by not exercising and eating like a cow (hey, I'm lactating like one, so why not?) :wink2:

edurnemk
02-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Everyone in the country we live in now does it, even after a vaginal birth. And I guess it's not uncommon in the US either, because when DS was born in Chicago, one of my OB's instructions for PP was explicitly not to use wrapping or any compression contraption in the first 4-6 weeks at least. He thinks they don't work and do more harm than good, but that's one Dr's opinion, all the friends I know who did it are OK. I never did it and my uterus and tummy bounced back to almost-prepreg state very quickly.

amldaley
02-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Well, I tried it this time around. I bought a belly bandit and I just couldn't wear it. Life was too hard PP (painful c-section recovery, sleep deprived, fussy newborn) that it was just one more thing that complicated my life and I let it go. I probably SHOULD have worn mine, my stomach is an absolute mess but I couldn't hand how obnoxious and uncomfortable it was.

Can you share more about what was not-so-good about the belly bandit? Trying to decide if I should spend the money. What was uncomfortable about it?

ExcitedMamma
02-10-2012, 06:56 PM
For those considering it I used the belly bandit. I did find it could be very uncomfortable because it would wrinkle and that would hurt and the Velcro could dig into your skin. Basically putting on wrinkled band if that makes sense so not smooth on your skin. But I found it really helped with my posture for the constant b/f and that helped my back pain which I didn't know I would have pp (loose stomach muscles?). I probably wore it about 6-8 hrs a day and I loved taking it off at the end of the day. As I got smaller it was harder to put on and more uncomfortable. Before my DH went off to work I would have him cinch me up tight. Definitely can't wear it without people noticing too even in big clothes.

Obviously I don't know how my stomach would have shrunk without it but I can say this I ordered the smaller sizes as I shrunk and then about 6 wks pp I think I stopped using it. I had been measuring my stomach a lot to order the different sizes and after not using it I wasn't getting smaller. So I ordered the next smaller size and in about two weeks lost about three inches after no progress for about a month. That convinced me it works! But for those who have btdt maybe it just takes time to shrink and will happen suddenly?

If you're thinking about it I can say I will be using it next time but everything I have read about it you need at least two sizes because you will shrink so unfortunately it gets expensive.

AnnieW625
02-10-2012, 07:05 PM
I just got the Lose Your Mummy Tummy book and need to get the splint. I wish I would have known about this right after I had DD2. I didn't have much of a problem with DD1, but 21 mos. pp from DD2 I think it needs to go a way:). The Tupler technique is actually quite challenging. I have done it a few times without the splint, but I know the splint will be good for me because it will help me stay more focused on what muscles I should be using.

essnce629
02-11-2012, 01:04 AM
I used one after both pregnancies. So did my grandmother who had 7 kids.

My midwives also advised me to wrap my belly with a rebozo type wrap when I was pregnant with DS2-- as a belly support. It felt good and helped pull my belly up and help my lower back pain. Using it during pregnancy also encourages optimal fetal positioning, just like belly lifting does (prevents or helps turn posterior babies).

After DS1 I just used one of those cheap velcro binders from Babies-R-Us but it wasn't very comfortable. After DS2 I used a regular waist cincher that I already had. It was the kind you pull on like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TXHMRC
Much more comfortable than the cheap velcro one! It didn't fit immediately after birth, but I was able to squeeze into it a few days later and was wearing it full time by day 7 postpartum.

I'm a big fan of wrapping. I think it helps get back down to your regular size and I think it's great back support. Even now, I will put on my Squeem waist cincher whenever my lower back starts hurting. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QWA2GY
It makes you stand up straight!

egoldber
02-11-2012, 09:24 AM
I didn't wrap, but I always found (post c-section) that snug, but NOT tight, yoga pants were by far the most comfortable thing for me to wear. I had never heard of wrapping, but I think it's a similar thing, providing support for the abdominals.

brittone2
02-11-2012, 09:44 AM
I used an abdominal binder after my third pregnancy. I have a diastasis dating back to my first pregnancy.

It isn't something done necessarily as a vanity or "lose inches" thing. Like PPs, it brings the abdominal muscles closer together if you have something like a diastasis. From there, you still want to work on appropriate abdominal work like Tupler's stuff (working transverse abs). It keeps the abs in a better starting position so you can work on strengthening from there. It is also good to avoid situps, crunches, etc. if you have a diastasis (very common). It is also good to be careful how you get up out of bed, for example.