PDA

View Full Version : Achilles tendon problems? Anyone?

khalloc
02-10-2012, 02:26 PM
I hurt my achilles last spring. Around May. Its still not better. At first I went to my PCP and he referred me to physical therapy. Honestly that was a complete waste of money. I went 2x and she was not helpful. She told me she couldnt help me and sent me to the orthopedist. So I see a P.A at the orthopedist (this is in August 2011). He diasnoses me with achilles tendonopathy at the heel basically. Where the tendon attaches to the heel. He also mentioned Haglunds Deformity (bone spur at the heel basically iritating the tendon). He tells me to wear one of those walking casts for 3 weeks. Then to graduate to ankle high hiking boots. I go back after 3.5 weeks and still not feeling good. He says to keep wearing the cast, that it takes time. So I wear it another week or 2 and after that the heel pain at the bottom of my foot went away (I used to be in SOOOO much pain just putting weight on the heel).

So that was last September. I basically stopped going to the gym pretty much (rare occasions) but I really need to exercise or something, because I gain weight pretty quick if I dont. And I need to lose like 20 pounds to start with...On a random day I might feel like 80% great. I can walk almost normal. But most days I can't. I havent gone back to the Dr. because I have a high deductible health plan...I really should have gone the end of 2011 because then I had hit my deductible. If I go now, he will probably recommend and MRI and that will eat up the $1500 that DH's work contributes toward the deductible. I just hate to do that if he just recommends more rest/ice/etc...I can do that without an MRI, you know?

If I wear shoes with a slight heel I feel pretty good. I will admit I am TERRIBLE about doing any achilles exercises. And I often wear shoes that I know wont help, and I've been doing like 40 minutes of elliptical machine at the gym lately and sometimes thats when it feels its worst (like after exercising or later that day). Oh and my DH is nuts about taking shoes off in the house. So I walk around barefoot (and in pain) alot at home. He is OK with me wearing the walking cast, but that is SUCH a PITA to take on and off. So I rarely wear it now. But I could go back to being diligent about it.

Would you try to be diligent about resting, doing achilles stretches, wearing some kind of ankle brace for another 3 months? Or would you just go back to the doctor.

The first physical therapist didnt think I had a tear in the tendon because on occassion I could rise to my tiptoes on this foot. But now I almost never can. I try to keep my foot straight when I walk and cant really do a heel-toe kind of walk unless i'm having one of those rare days when I feel really good (like 2x a month?).

I guess I am thinking the Doc might suggest an MRI and then that could come back and he could just say more rest. And I'd be out the $1500 (isnt that what an MRI costs about?)...

Thanks!

fauve01
02-10-2012, 04:14 PM
I hurt my achilles last spring. Around May. Its still not better. At first I went to my PCP and he referred me to physical therapy. Honestly that was a complete waste of money. I went 2x and she was not helpful. She told me she couldnt help me and sent me to the orthopedist. So I see a P.A at the orthopedist (this is in August 2011). He diasnoses me with achilles tendonopathy at the heel basically. Where the tendon attaches to the heel. He also mentioned Haglunds Deformity (bone spur at the heel basically iritating the tendon). He tells me to wear one of those walking casts for 3 weeks. Then to graduate to ankle high hiking boots. I go back after 3.5 weeks and still not feeling good. He says to keep wearing the cast, that it takes time. So I wear it another week or 2 and after that the heel pain at the bottom of my foot went away (I used to be in SOOOO much pain just putting weight on the heel).

So that was last September. I basically stopped going to the gym pretty much (rare occasions) but I really need to exercise or something, because I gain weight pretty quick if I dont. And I need to lose like 20 pounds to start with...On a random day I might feel like 80% great. I can walk almost normal. But most days I can't. I havent gone back to the Dr. because I have a high deductible health plan...I really should have gone the end of 2011 because then I had hit my deductible. If I go now, he will probably recommend and MRI and that will eat up the $1500 that DH's work contributes toward the deductible. I just hate to do that if he just recommends more rest/ice/etc...I can do that without an MRI, you know?

If I wear shoes with a slight heel I feel pretty good. I will admit I am TERRIBLE about doing any achilles exercises. And I often wear shoes that I know wont help, and I've been doing like 40 minutes of elliptical machine at the gym lately and sometimes thats when it feels its worst (like after exercising or later that day). Oh and my DH is nuts about taking shoes off in the house. So I walk around barefoot (and in pain) alot at home. He is OK with me wearing the walking cast, but that is SUCH a PITA to take on and off. So I rarely wear it now. But I could go back to being diligent about it.

Would you try to be diligent about resting, doing achilles stretches, wearing some kind of ankle brace for another 3 months? Or would you just go back to the doctor.

The first physical therapist didnt think I had a tear in the tendon because on occassion I could rise to my tiptoes on this foot. But now I almost never can. I try to keep my foot straight when I walk and cant really do a heel-toe kind of walk unless i'm having one of those rare days when I feel really good (like 2x a month?).

I guess I am thinking the Doc might suggest an MRI and then that could come back and he could just say more rest. And I'd be out the $1500 (isnt that what an MRI costs about?)...

Thanks!

I'm so sorry you hurt!! and for so long! that just bites. I think if i were you, i *would* try to be dilligent about the exercies especially, and also wearing the right shoes and brace. Buy some shoes that work for you with the heel and only wear them inside and tell your DH he has to deal (because of course he wants you pain-free too).

BUT i would also find a different doctor and go! have you tried a podiatrist?? it's been a long time that you're in pain and you still don't really know what's wrong. did the last doc just sort of expect you to live at 80% the rest of your life? he said it takes time--how much??

My 8YO dd has had ankle pain on and off for at least a year. after trying everything we could think of on our own (talking to the ped, stretches, new shoe inserts, etc) i finally took her to a podiatrist. he gave her special exercies and made orthotics for her, which really help.

so my answer to your questions are YES i would do all the stuff the doc told you to do. and YES i would go back to the doc (a new one).

not sure if that helps.

khalloc
02-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm so sorry you hurt!! and for so long! that just bites. I think if i were you, i *would* try to be dilligent about the exercies especially, and also wearing the right shoes and brace. Buy some shoes that work for you with the heel and only wear them inside and tell your DH he has to deal (because of course he wants you pain-free too).

BUT i would also find a different doctor and go! have you tried a podiatrist?? it's been a long time that you're in pain and you still don't really know what's wrong. did the last doc just sort of expect you to live at 80% the rest of your life? he said it takes time--how much??

My 8YO dd has had ankle pain on and off for at least a year. after trying everything we could think of on our own (talking to the ped, stretches, new shoe inserts, etc) i finally took her to a podiatrist. he gave her special exercies and made orthotics for her, which really help.

so my answer to your questions are YES i would do all the stuff the doc told you to do. and YES i would go back to the doc (a new one).

not sure if that helps.

Well to be honest the last doc wanted me to call him after a few weeks and update him and then said we could get an MRI if I still wasnt feeling good. I just felt well enough and was dealing with the pain. So its my fault that I didnt follow up with him really. My insurance is holding me back. Because I have a $1500 savings account to use and then after that the next like $1500 comes out of pocket. Then my insurance starts paying 90%.

happyturtles
02-10-2012, 05:04 PM
I sent you a PM.

theriviera
02-10-2012, 06:50 PM
I have tendonitis in my achillies tendon. however, physical therapy really helped me. mine is related to extremely tight calves, hamstrings, and hip flexors. if you can incorporate some stretching of those muscles, it might help.

i also bought these:
http://www.amazon.com/Superfeet-Premium-Maximum-Support-Green/dp/B002T0072U/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1328914216&sr=8-9

to put in my running shoes and i wear them as often as possible. that reduced some of the pressure.