PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Should I take DD to Urgent Care today?

artvandalay
02-11-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm going to try and keep this short. A few weeks ago my 20 month old had 3 days of a high temp (103 - 104). We took her to Urgent Care (because it was a weekend). Turns out she had an ear infection, Dr. gave her antibiotics. She finished the course.

On the day she finished the course, she oddly enough had a checkup scheduled with the Pediatrician. He checked her ears, and she still had the infection. He put her on a different antibiotic.

She finished that course about 4 or 5 days ago. Then Wed. night she started having a fever, ranging from 101 - 103. She was supposed to go back to the Dr. yesterday to get her shots (she didn't get them the last visit because of her temp). I called the nurse and we cancelled the shots because of the fever. I was going to bring her in after her nap to have them check her ears, but when she awoke from her nap, her temp was down to 98.1. She was acting fine. We had a winter storm warning here last night and the weather/roads got pretty bad, so both of those factors had me cancel the trip. I figured she had broken the fever and perhaps she just had some odd virus.

Well, this morning the fever is back - 101.7. She is running around here, acting fine. It's Saturday, so I'd have to take her to the UC. Should I just wait until Monday and have her see the Pediatrician?

I don't know what to do anymore. It seems like ever since the holidays one of my kids is sick with something, and as soon as one is better, the other one gets sick.

carolinamama
02-11-2012, 12:41 PM
I'd probably wait it out and follow her lead. If she is acting okay with that temp, maybe she got another virus or maybe it's still an ear infection. Either way, you could always go tomorrow to the urgent care. But that's just me. Hope she is feeling better soon.

hillview
02-11-2012, 12:44 PM
I'd probably wait it out and follow her lead. If she is acting okay with that temp, maybe she got another virus or maybe it's still an ear infection. Either way, you could always go tomorrow to the urgent care. But that's just me. Hope she is feeling better soon.
:yeahthat:

Giantbear
02-11-2012, 12:45 PM
if it were me, i would call the doc to get their input, but probably wait it out too. Of course, i am used to hitting 105, so 101 doesn't scare me. My doc always tells me that dd behavior is just as important, if not more, than the fever number itself. (dd gets fever a bunch) Sounds like she has a tough to kick ear infection.

elektra
02-11-2012, 12:46 PM
With that backstory and a current temp of 101, and otherwise seeming ok (eating, drinking, no vomiting) I would wait.

lhafer
02-11-2012, 12:48 PM
If she is eating/drinking like normal, and otherwise acting normal - I would wait it out.

wellyes
02-11-2012, 12:49 PM
I hate February.

artvandalay
02-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Sounds like she has a tough to kick ear infection.

That is what worries me. I don't know why she is not responding to the antibiotics. If they give her a 3rd round (of a different/stronger antibiotic) this will be almost 3 weeks of her being on antibiotics. I am giving her lots of yogurt... but still.

I hate February.

Lol. Yeah, February pretty much sucks around here, altho this has been the mildest winter we've ever had. My boys were delighted to finally get some snow last night so they can go sledding.

Giantbear
02-11-2012, 12:56 PM
That is what worries me. I don't know why she is not responding to the antibiotics. If they give her a 3rd round (of a different/stronger antibiotic) this will be almost 3 weeks of her being on antibiotics. I am giving her lots of yogurt... but still.

Lol. Yeah, February pretty much sucks around here, altho this has been the mildest winter we've ever had. My boys were delighted to finally get some snow last night so they can go sledding.

At this point, if it still is the ear, i would get her to an ENT Doc to have it further checked out. We are having recurring fever issues and am seeing an ENT doc friday

artvandalay
02-11-2012, 01:02 PM
At this point, if it still is the ear, i would get her to an ENT Doc to have it further checked out. We are having recurring fever issues and am seeing an ENT doc friday

Good advice, thank you. Just noticed your siggie. Our girls almost share a birthday. My DD's DOB is 5/27/10 :D

Thanks everyone. I will hang out with her at home today and just monitor. True, I can always take her tomorrow to UC if she gets worse.

Giantbear
02-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Good advice, thank you. Just noticed your siggie. Our girls almost share a birthday. My DD's DOB is 5/27/10 :D

isn't this a great age?? Hate this time of year when i miss my Saturdays with her.

boogiemomz
02-11-2012, 01:06 PM

theriviera
02-11-2012, 01:41 PM
we are dealing with the same situation here. 2 rounds of abx and the day after the last dose ended, she spiked a fever of 103 and has been feverish on and off since then. my ped has saturday hours so we are heading in today. if we couldn't get into the ped though, i would probably wait. like your DD, my DD is acting fine.

i never knew ear infections could be so stubborn!

TwinFoxes
02-11-2012, 03:30 PM
With that backstory and a current temp of 101, and otherwise seeming ok (eating, drinking, no vomiting) I would wait.

artvandalay
02-11-2012, 03:48 PM
we are dealing with the same situation here. 2 rounds of abx and the day after the last dose ended, she spiked a fever of 103 and has been feverish on and off since then. my ped has saturday hours so we are heading in today. if we couldn't get into the ped though, i would probably wait. like your DD, my DD is acting fine.

i never knew ear infections could be so stubborn!

Oh, no. Sorry your DD is going through the same thing. I hope she feels better soon. Please update when you get a chance - I"m interested to know what happened at the visit. I didn't know ear infections could be this stubborn, either.

Indianamom2
02-11-2012, 04:04 PM
I think you're fine either way, especially if she's acting ok. I will say that the time that DD had major, impossible to get rid of ear infections even while on antibiotics, she ended up having allergies to a bunch of environmental things, mold in particular.

We think her preschool at the time had major mold (it was in a church basement that smelled kind of mildewy/moldy to me). Once we got her on allergy meds, the ear infections stopped and she was much healthier. She's never had another round of ear infections/sickness like that since leaving that school.

artvandalay
02-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Christina, that is really interesting. My oldest has a ton of allergies. He is on two allergy meds and does have an allergy to mold & dust. The worst of his allergies are outdoor/seasonal stuff.

I never really thought about a connection, so thank you for mentioning it. I will keep it mind if her ear still has an infection and will mention it to the doctor.

Well, she's running around here tearing up the house, eating and drinking everything in sight, acting completely normal.

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.

carolinamama
02-11-2012, 09:52 PM
When DS1 had an EI at his 6 yo check up that we didn't know about (he had no pain, no symptoms) the pedi suggested that he may have allergies and maybe we should go down that route esp if the EI didn't clear with a round of antibiotics. It did clear though so we never had to deal with it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was our case given his history. It may be something to look into.