PDA

View Full Version : 3 month old's ears sticking out

janine
02-11-2012, 03:05 PM
My 3 month old's ears are starting to protrude a bit. I know it'll look different once her hair grows in, but they were firm against her head at birth and now are only starting to stick out. I notice when sleeping they are sometimes folded over so now I am more conscious of pushing them back when she is sleeping (which she doesn't appreciate since it wakes her!). I know their ears have no cartilage this early on so you can "train" them from what I read - but have other experienced this? Since they were firm against the head at birth this leads me to believe it is not genetic.

brittone2
02-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Any chance she's getting flatter on the back or back/side of her head (plagiocephaly)? Sometimes IME that can affect how the ears appear to lay.

daisymommy
02-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Remember, her head is going to continue to grow too...as well as the shape of her ears. You really have no way of knowing what she'll look like in a year, two years, when she's an adult, etc. Not something I would stress about :)

stinkyfeet
02-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Hi, I'm not sure if this will help, but DH has ears that stick out (only person in his family whose ears protrude).

Both DS1 and DS2 had ears that we're flat against their head at birth and started to protrude around 3-4 months. Both of their ears still protrude out, but they are both really cute :). I wouldn't worry about it too much. ;)

Jo..
02-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Tape them with medical tape at night.

I understand the whole argument of "they will grow into their ears", and "they are as God made them"...But my son's ears stick out and they bother me. He is a good-looking kid, and in my very petty opinion, the ears detract.

When I was a vet assistant we used to tape cropped ears to train them. I wish I had done this with my DS when he was younger. Despite the outcry, it really can't hurt. Why not give your kid every advantage? Intellectually, emotionally, and physically?

MommyAllison
02-12-2012, 02:37 AM
This happened to my DS and I'm noticing DD2's ears starting a bit. We did nothing for DS' and now that he has lots of hair, his ears look totally normal. Not planning to do anything for DD2's either.