PDA

View Full Version : Any luck with bereavement fares? Starting to look at airline tickets

DebbieJ
02-11-2012, 03:23 PM
My FIL is in the hospital and it's not looking good. There will be a flight from IL to SC soon. I'm not sure if it will just be DH or if I'll accompany him.

Looks like last minute fares are going to be $600 per person! If that's the case, then it will be just DH. Do bereavement fares even exist anymore? Any other tips or tricks to getting a lower fare?

FIL has not been a big presence in our life, so it is understandable if I don't go. I would be going more to support DH.

Giantbear
02-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Last i had herd, it is airline dependent and you need a copy of the death certificate to prove bereavement. I would call the airline and inquire directly, not use a discount site

JustMe
02-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Sorry you are in this situation. I found that bereavement fares are not usually cheaper (sometimes they are), but what they do get you is a seat (which is not always available last minute otherwise), and sometimes flexibility in the return date. Good luck.

DebbieJ
02-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Found some info on Delta's site. I found it interesting that one of the stipulations is that travel has to start within three days of death.

s7714
02-11-2012, 06:43 PM
I tried finding one a couple years ago when my grandmother passed. A couple required a copy of her death certificate and even then the rates and flight availability was not great. I got a better rate and more options just going with a normal ticket through Southwest.

scrooks
02-11-2012, 07:56 PM
When my grandmother passed away in 2009 i remember them being very$$$ but they were very flexible about any flight changes.

mariza
02-11-2012, 09:01 PM
It's been 10 years since I worked for an airline, but the bereavement policy as I knew it was never a cheap fare. It was a percentage off of the full refundable fare (aka the highest coach fare) it was about 20% off if I remember correctly. The benefit was that you could get a seat at the last minute and you could change the travel dates without penalty. If you know the exact dates of travel and there is no chance you will change them, you'll be better off buying a restricted fare ticket.

abh5e8
02-11-2012, 09:26 PM
wow...we just returned from my uncles funeral, and my mom said it would be another 6 weeks until they have the death certificate, and he died about 10 days ago.

so sorry op...that is so hard. hopefully you can find the $ so you can go with your dh.

Cam&Clay
02-11-2012, 10:23 PM
When my mother passed away in 2009, XH and DS1 were in San Francisco on vacation. He had to change their flights to get home earlier. The airline had him pay $200 per ticket to change the flight but told him to submit proof of the death to have the $400 refunded. He ended up using the link to her obituary because DS1's name was listed.

So, they are definitely still doing something to help out, but this may have been easier because they were only changing tickets.

mskitty
02-12-2012, 02:19 AM
Last i had herd, it is airline dependent and you need a copy of the death certificate to prove bereavement. I would call the airline and inquire directly, not use a discount site

Last time I did this, it had to be booked directly with the airline. No death certificate but I had to provide several key pieces of information to the airline. I believe it had to be a direct relative (parent, sibling, aunt/uncle, grandparent, etc). I called several airlines but only 1 or 2 offered a substantial discount.

This article is older but pretty much sums up what I experienced. Checking the regular fares might find a cheaper option in some cases.
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/columnist/mcgee/2008-09-30-bereavement-fares_N.htm

mskitty

shilo
02-12-2012, 02:38 AM
Sorry for your impending loss, wishing your husband peace. Unfortunately, I've had several experiences with this in the last few years. It has been 20% off the full fare as mariza said IME- usually puts it about comparable to the restricted fares available on Travelocity at the time. To the best of my recall we've flown United and American and I think I checked with Delta and Southwest as well on the most recent one. They've all asked for identifying info of the deceased, relationship to you and funeral home information. I've never had to submit an obit or death cert- so I assume they were able to verify it with the funeral home??

Hth.