PDA

View Full Version : Carseat shuffle: Your thoughts?

smiles33
02-11-2012, 06:08 PM
I am thinking of selling my 2 Blvds, moving almost 3 year old DD2 from those into DD1's FR85/FRs, and moving DD1 into new Parkways SGLs. The Blvds expire Dec. 2012 and March 2013. I'm debating selling them now, when there will still be 10-13 months of usefulness so I won't have to dispose of them myself later. We have a very active Craigslist and I figure I should be able to get $50-75 each (though several other parents are selling similar aged Blvds for $100-$125, which is ridiculous since they expire soon).

Plus, DD1 has been telling me she really prefers her Parkway SGL because it's so much easier to buckle. The FR takes her a while to buckle/unbuckle.

The other advantage is that DD2 insists on climbing into her carseats herself and has face-planted a few times when her feet slip because the Blvd sits so high. She is FF'ing so I don't think there are any reasons not to move to the FR85/FR.

Here are the details:

DD1, who turns 6 in May, is about 48 pounds and maybe 45" tall (haven't measured her recently). She is riding in a FR 85 in my car, 1st gen FR seats in DH's and my parents' car (they drive her home from 1/2 day kindergarten once/week), and a Parkway SGL in MIL's car (she does pick-up twice/week but often takes boosters out in between and the Parkway is the easiest to install/uninstall). DD1 does not sleep in the car anymore (not since our September trip to Disneyland which was a 6 hour road trip). She also sits up straight and listens very well.

DD2, who will be 3 in June, is about 29 pounds, 35.5" tall (just under 36" so she can't ride certain amusement park rides), FF'ing in her Blvds in my car and DH's car, riding in a Marathon 70 in MIL's car . No seat in my parents' car as they don't watch her at all. If they did need to pick her up, the problem would be that they need to learn how to adjust the FR for DD2's frame.

I'm wondering if I would have to sell the Marathon 70 in MIL's car, as I don't know that DD2 will willingly go back to sitting in that seat once she's used to the FRs.

Anyhow, thanks for reading this rambling post. Would appreciate any feedback, especially if I've missed any issues.

Poll coming!

P.s. Edited to add that I live near two world-class universities so there are frequently foreign scholars who come for a semester or year with their families. I've unloaded most of my baby gear to such folks and thus I think there are plenty of folks looking for baby gear they will use for just 4 months - 1 year.

vonfirmath
02-11-2012, 10:46 PM
I don't think I could sell a car seat that expires at the end of the year THIS YEAR on Craigslist. I'd be pretty certain it'd get used past expiration.

I'd hold onto the seat and use it at a BRU trade-in.

ETA: DD is sitting in a Graco safeseat that expires Dec 2012. I'm planning to keep having her sit in it at least through August (1st birthday), like her brother did. And maybe all the way to expiration since she's small enough she's likely to fit. But either way I won't give or sell it. I'd plan to trade it in at BRU and throw it away if need be.

She'll then be moving to her brothers Marathon (classic) and Roundabout50 (which her brother is currently sitting in as a secondary seat--we're hoping to replace with a high back booster after he's 5 years but time will tell if that works)

The Marathon expires June 2014, shortly before she turns 3 :( so before then we'll have to figure out what we are going to do. The Roundabout50 easily gets her to 3 years rear facing since it does not expire until sometime in 2015.

smiles33
02-11-2012, 11:59 PM
I edited my OP to explain that there is actually a strong local market for 4-12 months use of baby gear. Moreover, I always make sure to state in bold letters that most Britax carseats expire in 6 years (including the ones I have sold so far) and include actual photos of the seat and the manufacturer date label. Thus, I am not worried about the carseat being misused due to my explicit warnings and the fact that my buyers have been informed consumers.

I hate BRU so I would rather toss the seats than trade them in and buy from BRU. I guess the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards just selling them and getting the Parkways.