PDA

View Full Version : do you 'extend' free under 2 year rule?

dec756
02-11-2012, 07:47 PM
If your child is say 26 months old and the event you will be attending is free for children under the age of two, do you fudge it??

wellyes
02-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Not always, but I didn't go out of my way to correct clerks who just waved us through. (I'm not cheap so much as lazy).

MamaMolly
02-11-2012, 07:50 PM
I think it would depend on the situation. If it were something where Dolly would participate then I'd feel like I ought to. If it were something she'd just be sitting in the stroller or watching then not really. But having Lula there too, I KNOW I'd be outed. :p

crl
02-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Nope. I'd pay. But I'm a donkey girl scout.

Catherine

KrisM
02-11-2012, 07:54 PM
No, I never did.

infomama
02-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Nope. We do our best to lead by example.

scrooks
02-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Not always, but I didn't go out of my way to correct clerks who just waved us through. (I'm not cheap so much as lazy).

:yeahthat:

JBaxter
02-11-2012, 08:07 PM
yes if its close.

katydid1971
02-11-2012, 08:08 PM
I think it would depend on the situation. If it were something where DC would participate then I'd feel like I ought to. If it were something she'd just be sitting in the stroller or watching then not really.

speo
02-11-2012, 08:13 PM
No, I would pay.

Multimama
02-11-2012, 08:19 PM

This is how I feel too. I know they're only two, but it's about getting into the habit of being a good example. I once watched some parents lie about their child's age (well, just not correct the bus driver) so that they could save $1.50. The child spoke up and it was just embarrassing for everyone and I thought a terrible example for their child.

Jo..
02-11-2012, 08:33 PM
I would fudge it. I like free too much to be honest.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-11-2012, 08:39 PM
i think it really depends. at museums/events we've been to so far, we still get the kids in for free because it says something "age 2 and under: free, kids age 3-11: costs $x.xx. To me, that means that kids are free until their 3rd birthday, and it's not lying or fudging at all by not paying.

Though i think with airline seats and such, it's more like 24 months and under are free. If its says something like "under 2 -free, age 2-11 $x.xx", then we would pay of course. But i don't think i've ever seen anything like tha, at least that i've gone to. Usually it's "age 2 and under free" which means free until 3rd bday.

ett
02-11-2012, 08:42 PM
No, I don't. Plus, it would never work with DS2 since DS1 would just announce that DS2 was already over 2.

Momit
02-11-2012, 08:47 PM
We don't.

DietCokeLover
02-11-2012, 08:53 PM
No, I couldn't stand my own sense of guilt.

anonomom
02-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Nope. My parents used to lie to get us in cheaper/free places, and it was terribly embarrassing. Plus, it's a form of stealing, imo.

smilequeen
02-11-2012, 09:06 PM
No. I tell the truth and pay.

buddyleebaby
02-11-2012, 09:12 PM
No, I won't lie. But I do always ask if it's free under two or free two and under, and hope that is it's the former someone cuts me a break. They often do.

Melaine
02-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Nope, I am a stickler for rules.

stinkyfeet
02-11-2012, 09:24 PM
I would pay. I remember my parents and uncles/aunts lying about my age when I was younger for free admission or free kids meals. I always felt horrible about it and thought it was wrong of them.

brittone2
02-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Nope. Even if we wanted to, now that we have older kids they would certainly pick up on the lie or would correct us in front of someone ;) I don't think we ever extended it when we only had one DC though.

Pear
02-11-2012, 09:33 PM
The only places where this has come up as a possibility for us are at things that simply wouldn't exist without the admission fees. I really value the opportunity to take DD to the children's museum or the farmstead. The places where I don't think she will get the value of her admission price I just put off attending until later.

Jo..
02-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Meh. Don't listen to these sanctimonious women. The same people feed their in-laws expired cheese and don't shave their legs in the winter. :rotflmao:

It really depends on how much money we are talking and where you are going. If you are talking about a few dollars, I'd pay. If you are talking about a small business, I'd pay. If you are talking about a huge multi-million dollar company that charges $50 for kids over two, I'd lie.

ZeeBaby
02-11-2012, 09:43 PM
I would fudge it. I like free too much to be honest.

elektra
02-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Well if it's "2 and under are free" then 26 months would be free, by my account! But I would just pay the higher amount if my child was over the age. Sucks but that's the way it goes.

Indianamom2
02-11-2012, 10:41 PM

anonomom
02-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Meh. Don't listen to these sanctimonious women. The same people feed their in-laws expired cheese and don't shave their legs in the winter. :rotflmao:

It really depends on how much money we are talking and where you are going. If you are talking about a few dollars, I'd pay. If you are talking about a small business, I'd pay. If you are talking about a huge multi-million dollar company that charges $50 for kids over two, I'd lie.

At the risk of starting a rumble, would you go into a store you consider overpriced and stuff several other items in your purse to make up the "value" of an item you bought? Or try to sneak someone in the back door of a venue to avoid buying a ticket because it's expensive? If not, why is it ok to lie about a kid's age to avoid paying for them just because the company involved will make a profit? If you don't want to give a multi-million dollar corporation money, why not just stay home or find a sitter for the kid who's too young?

SnuggleBuggles
02-11-2012, 10:59 PM
I have in the past but not often. A 2yo can't read the rules so I don't feel a need to lead by example on that one.

twowhat?
02-11-2012, 11:18 PM
I've been very tempted but I have not - for the same reason PP said: "lead by example".

FWIW, my mom totally did stuff like that ALL the time to "save money".

JBaxter
02-11-2012, 11:24 PM

Jack Birthday was 10/20 and we went to Disney on 10/28 We did NOT pay I didn't feel one bit bad we did pay for 4 adults and 1 child for 5 days at the parks.

cheri
02-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Interesting to see this. We have always stuck to the kids' ages and never fudged before.

But last weekend we took the kids tubing. The rule was that kids 3 and up had to pay---and had to ride on their own tube. I knew there was absolutely no way she'd ride alone, so we fudged so that she could ride with us. I would have been happy to pay for her, so long as she could ride in a lap, but since they were adamant that 3 yos had to ride in their own tube....she was two for the afternoon. :p

kijip
02-12-2012, 12:01 AM
No I do not. Especially for older kids I don't want to model lying or cutting corners. Or worse ask them to lie. I paid the adult rate at a pricey theme park ON Ts 8th birthday when the day before it would have been 1/2 price. I would rather spend the extra $50 than teach him that it is ok to be selective about honesty for petty reasons.

My older son raised eyebrows when he WAS the correct age because he was so big.

Jo..
02-12-2012, 12:01 AM
At the risk of starting a rumble, would you go into a store you consider overpriced and stuff several other items in your purse to make up the "value" of an item you bought? Or try to sneak someone in the back door of a venue to avoid buying a ticket because it's expensive? If not, why is it ok to lie about a kid's age to avoid paying for them just because the company involved will make a profit? If you don't want to give a multi-million dollar corporation money, why not just stay home or find a sitter for the kid who's too young?

Purse no backdoor yes.

kijip
02-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Meh. Don't listen to these sanctimonious women. The same people feed their in-laws expired cheese and don't shave their legs in the winter.

Winter only? ;) THIS sanctimonious Seattle woman doesn't ever shave her legs. :)

Jo..
02-12-2012, 12:09 AM
KATIE!!!!

:jammin:

I almost never shave mine either. But I do groom my pits and my bush year-round.

justlearning
02-12-2012, 12:09 AM
I have never fudged it but both of my boys have always been very tall and thus look older than their age, so I've had quite a few clerks quiz my boys to see if they were truly below the cutoff age.

BabyMine
02-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Yes. In fact we got TT into Disney for free at 38 months.

Uno-Mom
02-12-2012, 12:55 AM
Hey there! REAL women don't shave. [love you, Jo.]

I would pay. I'm just a stickler for certain rules, I'm not a particularly virtuous person. :)

crl
02-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Interesting to see this. We have always stuck to the kids' ages and never fudged before.

But last weekend we took the kids tubing. The rule was that kids 3 and up had to pay---and had to ride on their own tube. I knew there was absolutely no way she'd ride alone, so we fudged so that she could ride with us. I would have been happy to pay for her, so long as she could ride in a lap, but since they were adamant that 3 yos had to ride in their own tube....she was two for the afternoon. :p

Yeah, I might fudge under those circumstances too.

Catherine

smiles33
02-12-2012, 01:29 AM
I would pay. I remember my parents and uncles/aunts lying about my age when I was younger for free admission or free kids meals. I always felt horrible about it and thought it was wrong of them.

:yeahthat: Kids 12 and under could eat for 1/2 price at my parents' favorite buffet restaurant.

Plus I know my 5.5 year old has a highly sensitive radar for when people lie or exaggerate.

Tondi G
02-12-2012, 04:14 AM

I'm with you Jo!

fedoragirl
02-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Er...a 26 month old IS a 2 year old. If it's under two, I would pay. However, if they say 2 and under, I feel I am following that rule.

ETA: I agree with ms.pacman about the flying rule. We are flying transatlantic and are paying full fare for DD who is 25 months.

TwinFoxes
02-12-2012, 06:57 AM
i think it really depends. at museums/events we've been to so far, we still get the kids in for free because it says something "age 2 and under: free, kids age 3-11: costs $x.xx. To me, that means that kids are free until their 3rd birthday, and it's not lying or fudging at all by not paying.

Though i think with airline seats and such, it's more like 24 months and under are free. If its says something like "under 2 -free, age 2-11 $x.xx", then we would pay of course. But i don't think i've ever seen anything like tha, at least that i've gone to. Usually it's "age 2 and under free" which means free until 3rd bday.

:yeahthat: To me 26 months is a two year old. If it said 24 months and under that's a different story. Even at Disney (where 10 year olds are "adults") kids get in free until their 3rd b-day.

ZeeBaby
02-12-2012, 08:37 AM
I think we need to distinguish when kids understand and when they don't. When DD understands I will not fudge, but until then I am not walking around with a BC. I won't intentionally lie, but I am not volunteering either.

dec756
02-12-2012, 09:19 AM
alright, now i feel kinda like a bad guy but then again, i always fudge things in general..

the show is disney on ice and the rules are:

3 and up must have a ticket except for (ringling bros or disney on ice) then ages two and under are free.

its kinda confusing BUT i only bought two tickets @ b1g1 free price.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-12-2012, 09:57 AM
alright, now i feel kinda like a bad guy but then again, i always fudge things in general..

3 and up must have a ticket except for (ringling bros or disney on ice) then ages two and under are free.

then you're good... 2 AND under free means ok until 3rd birthday. :thumbsup:

i know it is confusing, but literally, 2 and under means free until theyre no longer 2yo (they turn 3).

TwinFoxes
02-12-2012, 10:00 AM

I don't think there's any question that DC does NOT need a ticket. Do you think he's a three year old?

crl
02-12-2012, 10:05 AM

I think you are following the rules. "Two and under are free" means until the kid turns three s/he is free. At least that is my interpretation.

Catherine

KrisM
02-12-2012, 11:13 AM

You're good at 26 months. That is "2 and under" so he's free. He's not 3 and up, so you don't pay.

scriptkitten
02-12-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm with Jo. I also won't fudge within the kids' earshot.

mikala
02-12-2012, 01:03 PM
I think you are following the rules. "Two and under are free" means until the kid turns three s/he is free. At least that is my interpretation.

:yeahthat: That's my interpretation as well.

To answer the original question I don't fudge the dates.

EllasMum
02-12-2012, 01:15 PM
I will go against the grain and admit that I did, on occasion, fudge the dates. DD was SO tall and big that most of the time I got quizzed on her age, even when she was well under the age limits! I was looked at askance by MANY clerks and it p*ssed me off so yes, I used to fudge the dates a bit. :p Re: the airlines, that wouldn't work in Canada as you have to provide the child's birth certificate to prove they are under 2.

fortato
02-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Yes... especially if the fee is ridiculous. I am all about screwing the system. Damn the man. It's time for a revolution.

AshleyAnn
02-12-2012, 02:30 PM

I agree. I think companies build it into their ticketing system. They know people fudge so they compensate by lowering the ages. If Disney called an adult 12+ they would had 14 yr olds fudging as kids, so they drop it to 10 to capture the true "adult" group plus a few honest people who don't fudge.

DD is 2 so I don't know how I'll handle it. i think i will follow a pp's logic of how much she gets from it. If she's benefiting i'd pay but id fudge if she's just there to be there.

wellyes
02-12-2012, 02:39 PM
I agree. I think companies build it into their ticketing system. They know people fudge so they compensate by lowering the ages. If Disney called an adult 12+ they would had 14 yr olds fudging as kids, so they drop it to 10 to capture the true "adult" group plus a few honest people who don't fudge.

This, weirdly, reminds me of a scene from "Desperately Seeking Susan" where Madonna shoplifts something, but says (paraphrasing here) 'That's why they leave stuff on the counter, they expect people to take it, they only care about what's under the glass'.

I go by the store clerk's attitude. I don't lie, ever. But if the clerk rings me up and doesn't charge me for a kid, I don't go & make him re-ring it. Working retail sucks enough.

sntm
02-12-2012, 02:57 PM
So honest people foot the bill for those who are willing to fudge/lie?

I feel the temptation, even now when I can afford things I want, and there was a time when I would have cheated in that way, but now I make a point to do it even when DS isn't there to see or no one would be the wiser.

"Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. --J.C. Watts"

wellyes
02-12-2012, 03:12 PM
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. --J.C. Watts"I've seen that quote here a couple of times, and I absolutely agree with it, but I think it only really applies when dealing with people. Corporations are explicitly not people. Corporations exist solely to shield their owners from liability. I do not feel the obligations of good citizenship to them. If a store makes a little more or less money based on whether or not my kid was conceived in April or May, well, I don't really care. If it made a difference to the employees or other consumers, that'd be different, but I can't see how it does.

kijip
02-12-2012, 05:33 PM
You're good at 26 months. That is "2 and under" so he's free. He's not 3 and up, so you don't pay.

fortato
02-12-2012, 05:37 PM
So honest people foot the bill for those who are willing to fudge/lie?

I feel the temptation, even now when I can afford things I want, and there was a time when I would have cheated in that way, but now I make a point to do it even when DS isn't there to see or no one would be the wiser.

"Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. --J.C. Watts"

Oh, I make sure to thank the honest people every chance I get.... like right now.

Thank you.

kijip
02-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Yes... especially if the fee is ridiculous. I am all about screwing the system. Damn the man. It's time for a revolution.

If it is time for the revolution, why go to the corporate places with the "ridiculous" fees at all? Be "revolutionary" and don't spend any of the money- adults or kids. ;)

fortato
02-12-2012, 07:02 PM
If it is time for the revolution, why go to the corporate places with the "ridiculous" fees at all? Be "revolutionary" and don't spend any of the money- adults or kids. ;)

Well.... that too... sneak in back ways and hide my kids in my purse!

Uno-Mom
02-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Oh, I make sure to thank the honest people every chance I get.... like right now.

Thank you.
You're welcome. You can buy me a drink next time I'm in your town - you OWE me! :loveeyes:

Jo..
02-12-2012, 07:25 PM
I can't wait until I'm 50. I'm gonna start trying to get the senior citizen discount early.

JBaxter
02-12-2012, 07:42 PM
I can't wait until I'm 50. I'm gonna start trying to get the senior citizen discount early.

LMDO ( laughing my depends off)

bisous
02-12-2012, 07:46 PM
I would never fudge it. I can't live with it.

I recently lied and said I was DH to a credit card company (so I could change our address--it has to come from him, lol) and I felt terrible about it all day. DH was standing next to me!

Jo..
02-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Why would you feel terrible about pretending to be DH? He knew about it and you had his permission.

bisous
02-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Why would you feel terrible about pretending to be DH? He knew about it and you had his permission.

I know, that's why I did it in the first place. The woman said "So YOU'RE Craig?" and I boldly said, "yep, its me, Craig." She knew I was lying. I knew I was lying and I just don't do that--ever. I know it doesn't really matter and it didn't phase DH at all. I just don't lie so it felt really weird.

Jo..
02-12-2012, 08:18 PM
You just need to practice more. I lie all day every day. You'll get better at it.

Uno-Mom
02-12-2012, 08:25 PM
You just need to practice more. I lie all day every day. You'll get better at it.I never lie. [oops]

lhafer
02-12-2012, 08:41 PM
The moment you say you NEVER lie...you just did. ;)

fortato
02-12-2012, 08:47 PM

Why wait?

If I didn't look so young (fat fills in the wrinkles)- I would do that now. Instead, I get the student discount at the movies.

fortato
02-12-2012, 08:49 PM
And, like every woman on this board, I did NOT lie about my weight on my driver's license.:icon_twisted:

Jo..
02-12-2012, 08:57 PM
And, like every woman on this board, I did NOT lie about my weight on my driver's license.:icon_twisted:

Yeah, WHAT IN THE WORLD is up with THAT??? NY didn't ask for my weight, nor did WV. I moved here to OK and was HORRIFIED that they print your weight on your DL. That's just rude.

I lied by 40 pounds. :p

ladysoapmaker
02-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Is it not lying if they never ask you to update your weight? The last time I renewed my license I was 8 months pregnant with DD#2 they didn't even ask.

It currently shows me 50lbs lighter then I am.

Jen

ilfaith
02-12-2012, 10:19 PM
I'll admit to fudging about my kids' age to get them into Disney. I believe I may have said something along the lines of "he'll be three in December" which was true...of course he was also three when we were there in September.

MamaMolly
02-12-2012, 11:49 PM
ETA: I agree with ms.pacman about the flying rule. We are flying transatlantic and are paying full fare for DD who is 25 months.

IME we have always had to prove the age of our DDs when flying as lap infants under 2. Luckily you'll have passports in hand ;)

Uno-Mom
02-13-2012, 12:32 AM
The moment you say you NEVER lie...you just did. ;)
No I didn't.:sulkoff:

MoJo
02-13-2012, 10:07 AM

Catherine

That's what I've been told EVERY time I've asked!

AnnieW625
02-13-2012, 03:22 PM
No I would pay.

Smillow
02-13-2012, 04:02 PM
I'll admit to fudging about my kids' age to get them into Disney. I believe I may have said something along the lines of "he'll be three in December" which was true...of course he was also three when we were there in September.

:bowdown:This is kinda genius (though I don't think I would do it...)

Babymakes3
02-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Typically no I would not BUT I have. We have passes for a local amusement park and when ds turned 3 in august (3 and under are free) we continued going w/o buying him a ticket. However I did this bc I wasn't spending $100+ on a pass for him when I knew come January they would be giving out the 5 and under passes for FREE. Besides just bc he turned 3 didn't mean he could suddenly ride more things than he could when he was 2, there were still only a handful of rides he could go on.

peanut520
02-13-2012, 04:45 PM
i havent up to last week when i bought ringling bros tickets. the ticketing site did not state the rules for kids under x age only the number of adults, but after much searching i found it to be under 3 on the ventue site. dd will be 3 a week prior and honestly i couldnt didnt see the point to pay for her seat if i knew she was going to sit in my lap or the other 5 adults i paid for to get a better view.... and not to worry they will be getting the cost of her ticket plus some in the form of the crap merchandise they sell since this will be for her b-day.

indigo99
02-14-2012, 02:10 PM
I already know that my honesty is a bit too flexible and hope that I don't pass that on to my kids.