PDA

View Full Version : Help Us Name Our New Dog

LexyLou
02-11-2012, 10:04 PM
We just got a dog today. He's a "career change" Guide Dog for the Blind. Basically, he didn't cut it to make it though the full training.

He's an awesome dog though. 1 1/2 year old, yellow lab. His only issue, is his name...it's Kappa. Horrible.

But we're having a hard time with the names.

So far we have:

~Seymour (get it See More...because he was training to be a guide dog...) Cute, but the girls aren't in love with it.

~Albert (for Albert Einstein)

~Einstein (for Albert Einstein + it's the dogs name in Back To The Future)

~Spencer (from iCarly)

~Freddie (from iCarly)

~George (From Of Mice and Men)

This is him

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y302/lexerella/Kappa.jpg

Poll coming..

Help!!!

barkley1
02-11-2012, 10:15 PM
George or Buster.

ADORABLE dog!

newg
02-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I voted "other". Does he know the other name already? If he does, he might have an easier time learning the new name (and I agree that Kappa is not cute ;)) if it sounds similar to his old name.
Our greyhounds came with names that we changed....Roxy was BB's Rockett and Ruby was Reba (which I thought was cute, but DH does not like the country singer :))

He is really cute by the way...congrats!!

What about Carl, Cole, or Kobe (steak or basketball player :)

elbenn
02-11-2012, 10:22 PM
What about Cappy? Sounds close to Kappa but much cuter.

cvanbrunt
02-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Man, I really miss my dogs. With a big old goofy buddy like that, I'd name him Doofus.

LMPC
02-11-2012, 10:30 PM
I actually like Kappa....but when I saw him I thought "Spencer!" He's sooooo cute!!!

doberbrat
02-11-2012, 10:30 PM
He looks like a George to me.

We always change dogs' names when we get them. Its never been an issue. Teddy is on his 3rd name and is still fine.

What names do the kids like? We took a week or so to name Teddy trying names out until we figured out what we all liked.

He looks cute. Guide dog flunkies make the best pets!

Jo..
02-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Einstein in honor of my favorite book EVER. The Outsider by Koontz.

There was a dog named Einstein in the book. :love-retry:

stinkyfeet
02-11-2012, 10:43 PM
He's so CUTE! I voted for seymour.

infomama
02-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Charlie...he's totally a Charlie

trales
02-11-2012, 10:57 PM
We have a 12 year old drop out names Beacon. He is the best dog ever.

trales
02-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Failed dogs are sweet but too stupid for words. This is coming from 11 years experience. I like George.

elizabethkott
02-11-2012, 11:00 PM
I voted "other".
That face reminds me of the dog on "Mad About You" - Murphy.
He looks like a wonderful guy! Congratulations on the audition to your family!!

lhafer
02-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Failed dogs are sweet but too stupid for words. This is coming from 11 years experience. I like George.

What do you mean by this? My ILs are in a program that trained seeing eye dogs, and now they are with a different program that trains dogs as service dogs. They currently have 2 "failed dogs" who are the smartest dogs I've ever seen. Very well behaved and obedient. They "failed" because one had shoulder issues and required surgery, and the other had "inconsistant push/pull" and wasn't suited to lead a blind person. This basically means he would rather lay on the couch than get up and run around - he's just lazy. He doesn't like going on walks.

If they were stupid - they wouldn't be in the program to begin with. They weed them out very early.

wendmatt
02-11-2012, 11:21 PM
How do you get lucky enough to get a "failed" guide dog, this would be a dream for me!
He looks gorgeous. I like Murphy. Congrats on your new family member.

twowhat?
02-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Handsome dog! Well, we have a George, so I can't vote for that. I like Charles, personally:) Charles Wallace.

LexyLou
02-11-2012, 11:36 PM

LOL! He's actually VERY smart. I'm surprised because he does look super doofy. I already taught him leave it/take it. It took three practices with pieces of kibble and I was able to put his food down and say leave it and he didn't touch it.

He was rejected because he sniffs too much. A minor reason, but dogs who lead blind people really can't stop to smell the roses.... Less than 50% of the dogs actually make it through all the way. We're going to work on his Canine Good Citizen Certification and make him a therapy dog. He has such a sweet disposition.

How do you get lucky enough to get a "failed" guide dog, this would be a dream for me!
He looks gorgeous. I like Murphy. Congrats on your new family member.

We live close to the headquarters in San Rafael, CA (just North of San Francisco). I believe you have to be close to get on the wait list but there are these types of organizations EVERYWHERE-Canine Assistants, Seeing Eye Dogs, Canine Companions, etc...

You just put your name on a waitlist and they call and ask questions about your family (kids, other animals, work schedule, etc). It can never happen, it can happen quickly. It just depends on what you prefer and what dogs fail out.

There is an adoption fee (ours was $500 but it has gone up to $750) as well but so worth it. We put our names in last May, so I was shocked when we got the call!

DietCokeLover
02-11-2012, 11:39 PM
I voted "other".
That face reminds me of the dog on "Mad About You" - Murphy.
He looks like a wonderful guy! Congratulations on the audition to your family!!

My favorite show! But, his name was Murray.

Your new family member is darling. He looks like a Buddy to me.

ourbabygirl
02-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Yep, I like names with an "y/ 'ie" sound on the end for happy-go-lucky looking dogs like this. :) I voted 'other' but can't think of anything creative or "just right" right now... I do like PPs' suggestions of Charlie, Buddy, and Murphy.

What a cutie you have there... hope you bring one another lots of joy! :love5:

hellokitty
02-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Awww, he's so like a fun and happy guy! I voted, "Freddie," b/c the other names sound to serious for a happy-go-lucky dog.

jenfromnj
02-12-2012, 12:16 AM
He's so adorable! I voted for Seymour, because I think it's cute.

I know a few people with Seeing Eye trainees who didn't end up as service dogs (the Seeing Eye HQ is here in Northern NJ), and they're all such great dogs. Best of luck with him!

mackmama
02-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Oh what a face!!!! I think he is absolutely a Seymour. Congrats - he's adorable!!

jse107
02-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Charlie
Murphy
Winston
Barkley
Darwin
Ripley (I'm fond of that name, as it's our happy lab's name!)

teedeedee
02-12-2012, 12:43 AM
I was just about to say Winston or Murphy

He's gorgeous!!!

citymama
02-12-2012, 02:18 AM
He's ridiculously cute!!!

He's a Charlie or Freddie. I like the suggestion of trying to find a name like Kappa but none of them are cute enough for him!

marymoo86
02-12-2012, 08:50 AM
He's ridiculously cute!!!

He's a Charlie or Freddie. I like the suggestion of trying to find a name like Kappa but none of them are cute enough for him!

I agree - charlie or freddie but you could go with "captain" if you to stick with a name that sounds similar to Kappa

momm
02-12-2012, 09:03 AM
What an adorable dog!! He looks like a George to me!!

I also like infomama's suggestion of Charlie

boilermakermom
02-12-2012, 10:40 AM
I like Einstein. We were going to name our dog Einstein, but we settled on Scout instead. DH is a hunter, and didn't want to be calling 'Einstein' in the field.

LexyLou
02-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I agree - charlie or freddie but you could go with "captain" if you to stick with a name that sounds similar to Kappa

LOL, I like Captain. I wanted to name him Governor, so I could say it with an English accent.

DH is REALLY pushing for Einstein and since he was not really happy about getting another dog (our first dog is 12 years old), I might just grant his wish and call him Einstein.

Another good name would be Hoover. They said he only gets 2 cups of food twice a day. He seriously sucks it up in 15 seconds flat like a Hoover vacuum!

LexyLou
02-12-2012, 12:22 PM
I was just about to say Winston or Murphy

He's gorgeous!!!

Oh, I love the name Winston but a good friend just got two labradoodles and named them Winston Churchill and Coco Chanel. :)

khm
02-12-2012, 01:34 PM
We scrolled through petfinder to find names. I tended to be drawn to names like Boscoe, Banjo, Rufus.

We ended up with a female dog though. :)

JoyNChrist
02-12-2012, 01:43 PM
He really does look like a Charlie.

I wanted to name our Dane Gatsby, but I got voted down. So I'll throw that one out there.

Congrats, he's a cutie!

geochick
02-12-2012, 01:50 PM
I read somewhere that dogs respond better to their names if they end in:

ey
y
ie
ee
i

Basically the eeeeeee sound.

elizabethkott
02-12-2012, 01:57 PM
My favorite show! But, his name was Murray.

Your new family member is darling. He looks like a Buddy to me.

Ahhhh! You're right!!!
Woops.
I still like Murphy.
;)

boogiemomz
02-12-2012, 01:58 PM
What a BEAUTIFUL dog!!! I love him. I voted George... he deserves something dignified with a little spunk. All are good options though!

minnie-zb
02-12-2012, 02:29 PM
He's a cutie! What a sweet face.

infomama
02-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Another good name would be Hoover. They said he only gets 2 cups of food twice a day. He seriously sucks it up in 15 seconds flat like a Hoover vacuum!

Get him this bowl. I would't use anything but for our dogs since being introduced to dangers of bloat. They are sold everywhere. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19445