PDA

View Full Version : Are you getting your DH anything for Valentine's Day?

elektra
02-11-2012, 10:06 PM
If so, what?
DH made dinner reservations (so thoughtful, first time he has done that on his own!) and then I think he just got me some kind of gift card from Costco (DD showed me the wrapped gift.) I feel like need to get something now! We usually just do cards I think.

DietCokeLover
02-11-2012, 10:07 PM
No, we don't really do anything. I did get him a card.

LD92599
02-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Nothing. But we have dinner reservations at mortons tues night.

Giantbear
02-11-2012, 10:09 PM
i'm just hoping for a little boom chicka boom boom from the mrs.

liz
02-11-2012, 10:24 PM
We usually do cards and some small gifts. This year DH gave me a DVD of a romantic movie that I love and he got some downloadable video games. We had a family Valentine dinner tonight and we gave the kids some small toys and balloons. DH and I have our yearly Valentine dinner date on Tuesday :)

crl
02-11-2012, 10:26 PM
We don't do much. I'm thinking I'll get him some of the cherry m&ms and make a card.

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
02-11-2012, 10:27 PM
We don't really celebrate it here. But, I was inspired to make him a card this year. I expect nothing in return.

Jo..
02-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Card, steak for dinner, BJ.

Giantbear
02-11-2012, 10:35 PM
:yay: :cheerleader1: :yay:

Lucky Husband

If you want to give your husband a memorable gift, wrap yourself in a towel, and then wrap a bow around yourself with a card in pinned to the towel. It is all the gift he will want or need

maestramommy
02-11-2012, 10:45 PM
We went out to dinner tonight, and I got him a card.

Jo..
02-11-2012, 10:45 PM

Lucky Husband

If you want to give your husband a memorable gift, wrap yourself in a towel, and then wrap a bow around yourself with a card in pinned to the towel. It is all the gift he will want or need

This is why I have a happy marriage. :)

My neighbor told me today that the secret to a happy marriage is KEEPING YOUR MOUTH SHUT and I almost had a stroke.

I NEVER keep my mouth shut. Never ever ever, especially when I should and need to. I just cannot.

But I keep DH full of yummy food and love, and he lets me get away with murder.

Jo..
02-11-2012, 10:47 PM
We went out to dinner tonight, and I got him a card.

You forgot something. :rotflmao:

amldaley
02-11-2012, 10:52 PM
NOTHING.

Our anniversary is Feb 5 so we rarely do Valentines Day. We exchange cards when we remember (I DID buy him one this year!). In the past, we have met for lunch if we had time and money.

I would like to brag that every day is Valentines Day for us, but the truth is that we are tight on time, money & energy to bother with Valentines Day most years.

newnana
02-12-2012, 09:33 AM
This is why I have a happy marriage. :)

My neighbor told me today that the secret to a happy marriage is KEEPING YOUR MOUTH SHUT and I almost had a stroke.

I NEVER keep my mouth shut. Never ever ever, especially when I should and need to. I just cannot.

But I keep DH full of yummy food and love, and he lets me get away with murder.

Amen, sista! At our house it's boom chicka boom boom in whatever way the mood strikes us and a card.

Keeping your mouth shut really limits the bedroom fun. Then there is the other aspect of keeping your mouth shut.... I would would walk around with a black cloud over my head and a sour marriage if I didn't say what I needed to.

dec756
02-12-2012, 09:39 AM
dh asked if we were goin to do anything and i reminded him i am taking him and ds to see disney on ice on wednesday :)

i did not get an actual gift per se and certainly dont expect anything, i would be super super surprised to get anything to be honest.

snowbunnies300
02-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Haven't done anything for a few years now and we are both fine with that decision. I'd rather have flowers on a random day then on V-Day. We celebrated early on in our marriage but I told him I'd be fine if we didn't celebrate. Now if he chose to one V-Day bring home jewlery I won't be telling him to return it :tongue5: Sometimes we take the kids out to an early dinner somewhere but that is about it for celebration.

TwinFoxes
02-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Photo calendar of DDs.

Mermanaid
02-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Picked up a few godiva bars and a card. Pretty simple. Oh and we agreed to stay home and make fondue for dinner. Yum!

brittone2
02-12-2012, 10:02 AM
If we had a sitter we'd go out before or after the holiday (probably not the night of). DS1's bday is right after V-day so we tend to be focused on prepping for that. We usually do cards and a small gift (chocolate, a starbucks GC, some small gesture).

I picked up a free Art of Shaving travel kit from a giveaway on their website so I'll probably give DH that too just as a small fun thing.

BabyMine
02-12-2012, 10:12 AM

Lucky Husband

I don't have to shop then since I already have all that. Yes! That was easy.

happy2bamom
02-12-2012, 10:25 AM

Thanks Jo, I just spit my tea on my computer. :) Love it !!

alexsmommy
02-12-2012, 10:58 AM
I usually don't, just make either king crab legs or fondue for dinner and some champagne, plus chocolate dipped strawberries, he gets me flowers and we exchange cards. This year I didn't manage to get him a b-day present (January bday for him) so I got him a red sweater.

Seitvonzu
02-12-2012, 11:48 AM
we had brunch at our garden yesterday-- they have a lovely restaurant and we all enjoy it, but it's a splurge- so that suffices. last year they had a special "valentine's" specific brunch, but this year it was the regular menu (which is still very delicious, maybe more so-- the entrees were great yesterday)

i did order a couple dvds for DH because he still had some movies on video and he said he'd get rid of them if we'd "upgrade" so romantic, right?

i bought myself a pink moser glass platter at the garden as my present.... up to that point, i was telling everyone that i'd bought a 9 dollar "stick of salami" at wegmans. this was true-- they were sampling it on superbowl sunday, it was applewood smoked and delicious, but 9 dollars? so i justified it to dh (who was taking lu around collecting samples while i shopped) by saying "happy valentine's to me!" i actually ran into a neighbor (an older gentleman) as i was sampling and said i was buying myself valentine's salami, before i realized how odd that sounded *eyerollatself*

and then, in addition to my pretty and appropriate platter, i bought some PETRIFIED WOOD yesterday at the garden. i was won-over by the price (half off), the novelty (200 million years old!) and the serveware possibilities (trivet? cheeseboard? oh my!). but then i couldn't stop giggling the whole way home... now my valentines day was a 9 dollar stick of salami and some PETRIFIED WOOD!!!!

i think inside, i'm still 15! :)

oh-- i always make strawberry pasta and white chocolate creme brulee on valentine's day. we nevernever go out on the day itself. lately we've also been having grilled shrimp on rosemary skewers and i throw in a green salad or something to round things out. unfortunately i changed lucy's swim lessons to tuesday afternoons this session, so i won't be able to fuss with dinner tuesday night... i told DH and he said "we should do it tomorrow then." we aren't sticklers around here (now i guess i should go to the grocery store for some ingredients!)

elbenn
02-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Picked up a few godiva bars and a card. Pretty simple. Oh and we agreed to stay home and make fondue for dinner. Yum!

Oh, fondue sounds good! I've never made it--what kind of fondue and what recipe?

WitMom
02-12-2012, 05:02 PM
I knitted DH a s'mitten (http://store.cocoknits.com/products/smitten.html) and am going to bake a heart shaped cheese cake (chocolate raspberry, his favorite.) We are having our Valentine's date next weekend, and will go ice-skating and out to dinner. On Valentine's Day itself, we will probably have chocolate fondue with strawberries.

R2sweetboys
02-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Nope, I gave him his lifetime Valentine's Day gift almost 9 years ago.(DS2) :love-retry:

Mopey
02-12-2012, 06:38 PM

:yeahthat: It's a disease I am working on.

I have a funny card and we made reservations at a fun restaurant we want to try. Would like to get him something cute and "daddy"-esque as this is our first but the BJ may just be the best idea I have at the point :ROTFLMAO:

misshollygolightly
02-12-2012, 07:22 PM
For once, I think I'm actually on top of Valentine's Day this year! Planning to make one of DH's fave dinners (it's a fussy one with special ingredients, so I rarely make it), and I bought him the Game of Thrones board game (he's a Game of Thrones geek and we both love those kind of board games...yeah, we're nerds). Also have some sweet "I love you" pillowcases I found about 6 months ago on clearance. Going to pick up his fave candy (Sweetarts) and call it done!

(Oh yeah, and maybe take GiantBear's advice about the towel ;))

misshollygolightly
02-12-2012, 07:26 PM
and then, in addition to my pretty and appropriate platter, i bought some PETRIFIED WOOD yesterday at the garden. i was won-over by the price (half off), the novelty (200 million years old!) and the serveware possibilities (trivet? cheeseboard? oh my!). but then i couldn't stop giggling the whole way home... now my valentines day was a 9 dollar stick of salami and some PETRIFIED WOOD!!!!

:rotflmao: Too funny! Nothing like wood and a stick of meat for a romantic Valentine's Day :p

bisous
02-12-2012, 07:49 PM
We get each other stuff we sort of need anyway for all holidays. This year, DH happens to need pjs and a pillow. This year our needs just happen to be kind of "valentine-ish", lol.

sidmand
02-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Well, over the years DH has told me that this is a "chick" holiday and he doesn't need/want a gift (and we've determined that's not his Love Language anyway!). But...

When we moved to this house we finished the basement with the intent that it was supposed to be his man cave/sports room. We even had lights installed that highlight/point to the (blank) wall. Since the bounce house and Wii are down there now it's not so much the man cave it was intended to be and we've never hung up any of his sports memorabilia like we were supposed to either.

So...he knows we bought a Groupon for a signed Larry Bird jersey. He doesn't know that I had it framed a couple of weeks ago and while he and DS were out today I hung up that, a signed football jersey (Curtis Martin, I think?), and two signed Boston Globe sports pages (Adam Vinateri and Derek Lowe) on the wall in the basement. He hasn't come home yet, but I'm SO hoping he likes it! I think the fact that they're finally hung up will be the part he likes the best. :)

DebbieJ
02-12-2012, 08:52 PM
I've never really been a fan of Valentine's Day and kinda forgot it was this week. I was just sitting here making our meal plan for the week and we're having Tortilla Cigars from Deceptively Delicious on Tuesday. :rotflmao:

Maybe I'll do some chocolate fondue for me and DH after the kids are in bed. Mostly cuz I like chocolate.

niccig
02-12-2012, 09:06 PM
We're going to watch a movie together. I won't study that night.

Tondi G
02-13-2012, 03:23 AM
we have reservations for an early dinner WITH our boys at Benihana on Tuesday. I will get DH a card. we don't typically exchange gifts on Valentines Day. he used to get me flowers and I told him to please save the money cause the price of roses on V-day is just ridiculous! Chocolate dipped strawberries would be nice.... maybe I should make some for him!

elektra
02-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Well, over the years DH has told me that this is a "chick" holiday and he doesn't need/want a gift (and we've determined that's not his Love Language anyway!). But...

When we moved to this house we finished the basement with the intent that it was supposed to be his man cave/sports room. We even had lights installed that highlight/point to the (blank) wall. Since the bounce house and Wii are down there now it's not so much the man cave it was intended to be and we've never hung up any of his sports memorabilia like we were supposed to either.

So...he knows we bought a Groupon for a signed Larry Bird jersey. He doesn't know that I had it framed a couple of weeks ago and while he and DS were out today I hung up that, a signed football jersey (Curtis Martin, I think?), and two signed Boston Globe sports pages (Adam Vinateri and Derek Lowe) on the wall in the basement. He hasn't come home yet, but I'm SO hoping he likes it! I think the fact that they're finally hung up will be the part he likes the best. :)

How cool! I bet he will love it! I still don't know what to get. DS told me that DH got me a necklace. But he may not have really known. So I feel like I should get something I can wrap up too ( other than myself).

Momit
02-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Maybe because it comes at the tail end of a steady stream of holidays - birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas - but we've never done much on V Day. If I found something DH would really like, hockey tickets or some electronic device, I might get it. Otherwise I typically bake something and that's it. This is the first year DS really "gets" holidays so he will help with the cupcakes and we put up a few decorations. We'll go out to dinner as a family.

hellokitty
02-13-2012, 09:26 AM

LOL! My DH thinks that your gift idea sounds great!

hillview
02-13-2012, 09:30 AM
I sent him a dozen long stem roses. I am away for work this week :(

wendibird22
02-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Each year I give DH a "beer for a year" membership to a local microbrew. He usually gets me flowers and cooks me a nice dinner. This year he told me not to expect much on V Day because my birthday is a few days later and he got me something really nice for that. Oh, and he has an eye doctor appointment V Day night because they are only open late on Tuesdays. How romantic. His birthday is also a few days later so I go smaller on his birthday gift because that beer for a year is expensive.

We also have a lot more fun now doing stuff for the girls. We are doing heart shaped jello, heart shaped pancakes, and I bought cheapo heart shaped plates to use.

trcy
02-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Valentine's day is just not a big deal to us. As a teen I was dumped twice on Valentine's day, so I think I instinctively try to lay low. We don't do anything, no cards, gifts, dinner, nothing. I feel kind of bad after reading all of the other posts now

peanut520
02-13-2012, 10:51 AM
nope, and we just dont see the need for a "holiday" to tell each other how much we still love each other.

eta: not to mention there was lunar new years, our b-days 2 weeks before, and dd birthday 4 days after (and the multiple parties and dinners that go with that).

Corie
02-13-2012, 05:25 PM
nope, and we just dont see the need for a "holiday" to tell each other how much we still love each other.

That's us too.

AnnieW625
02-13-2012, 05:31 PM
The inside of our house is getting painted next week so that is our gift to each other. Our wedding anniversary was last Wednesday and we got married a week prior so we wouldn't have to go out or celebrate V-Day.

cchavez
02-13-2012, 05:54 PM
A big toblerone and a special meal: braised short ribs/ mashed potatoes, broccolli, rolls and cupcakes for dessert. We do always acknowledge the holiday....I am getting a new pandora bead....he might also get me some flowers and def. a card. Kids are getting small lego sets and an educational game. I picked up the new foo fighters cd for him. I wanted arcade fire or civil war but target did not have those cd's when I was shopping today.....

oh and we are going out to one to dinner saturday nite....

infomama
02-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Chocolate covered grapes a card. I love getting chocolate covered strawberries from him.

BabbyO
02-13-2012, 05:57 PM
We'll we're on a tight budget these days, so a card from the "super cheap" card store...and maybe, hopefully a much overdo spicy evening (if DS2 cooperates and goes to bed a bit earlier)

Lucky Husband

Three strategically placed red bows under a robe work pretty well, too! :D I'm pretty sure he never missed the card!

♥ms.pacman♥
02-13-2012, 06:03 PM
no. and i didn't feel bad about it till today when UPS guy came, and delivered a package..i immediately opened it, and inside was a pendant from Tiffany. :heartbeat: I felt so bad, DH had tried to keep it a secret but i was just too quick (i'm always opening packages as soon as they come)..as soon as i saw the blue box i knew. I was SHOCKED as DH almost never surprises me. Now i need to get something for him..

hellokitty
02-13-2012, 06:43 PM
no. and i didn't feel bad about it till today when UPS guy came, and delivered a package..i immediately opened it, and inside was a pendant from Tiffany. :heartbeat: I felt so bad, DH had tried to keep it a secret but i was just too quick (i'm always opening packages as soon as they come)..as soon as i saw the blue box i knew. I was SHOCKED as DH almost never surprises me. Now i need to get something for him..

Lol, don't worry. I ruined DH's 10th wedding anniversary gift to me, b/c I saw the cc bill and started freaking out, thinking that he bought something big and expensive for himself. He got irritated and told me I spilled the beans about my own gift. He bought me a diamond anniversary band! :bag I felt bad afterwards, but then again I was 8 months pregnant with DS3 and pretty hormonal, lol.

mmommy
02-13-2012, 10:26 PM
I just made the scones for tomorrow morning heart shaped. That's all I have the energy for, but it's probably more than DH will do for me. I don't mind. We got to go out for a date on Saturday, which was a great treat.

Twoboos
02-13-2012, 10:28 PM
I wasn't really planning anything but after a trip to Costco it turns out he's getting some new Contigo mugs! :wink2:

gatorsmom
02-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Yep, I made heart-shaped cut-out cookies. The kids made red hearts and decorated the house with them. I bought DH and the kids little heart-shaped boxes of candy from our local candy shop and got them each cards.

We usually just do something little and fun.

twowhat?
02-13-2012, 11:00 PM
No and unfortunately I was just informed that he got me something:( I'm surprised because he usually doesn't get me anything.

Oh well. This weekend I did pick up steaks and am going to make him steak, crash potatoes, and either asparagus or roasted brussels sprouts tomorrow. And I also tried to buy a bottle of wine at the grocery store on Sunday but dang it, it was 11:54am. And I had 2 kids with me so I couldn't hang around until noon.

Giantbear
02-13-2012, 11:05 PM
No and unfortunately I was just informed that he got me something:( I'm surprised because he usually doesn't get me anything.

Oh well. This weekend I did pick up steaks and am going to make him steak, crash potatoes, and either asparagus or roasted brussels sprouts tomorrow. And I also tried to buy a bottle of wine at the grocery store on Sunday but dang it, it was 11:54am. And I had 2 kids with me so I couldn't hang around until noon.try my idea :jammin:

twowhat?
02-13-2012, 11:08 PM
try my idea :jammin:

:hysterical: Wow, is it bad that this didn't even cross my mind?

BillK
02-13-2012, 11:12 PM
:hysterical: Wow, is it bad that this didn't even cross my mind?

No. I can assure you it's NEVER crossed my wife's mind either.

twowhat?
02-13-2012, 11:14 PM
No. I can assure you it's NEVER crossed my wife's mind either.

:hysterical: OK I have to step away from this thread.

Giantbear
02-13-2012, 11:19 PM
No. I can assure you it's NEVER crossed my wife's mind either.bill, i am trying my best :ROTFLMAO:

BillK
02-13-2012, 11:22 PM
bill, i am trying my best :ROTFLMAO:

After 17 years nothing's gonna change. It's what happens when you marry June Cleaver. :p

Giantbear
02-13-2012, 11:25 PM
After 17 years nothing's gonna change. It's what happens when you marry June Cleaver. :pJune does have a pearl ne..... :bouncy: (this thread is going to get me banned)

kellij
02-13-2012, 11:29 PM
I got my DH a book called "You Still Give me Butterflies" by Laura Corn. Here's the description:

Remember that breathtaking feeling of excitement when you met the love of your life? You Still Give Me Butterflies will help you both rediscover that feeling every month for an entire year! Bestselling author Laura Corn is back with two dozen fun flirty romantic and sexy surprises for committed couples. The book features two dozen his and her sealed envelopes; two dozen secret instructions; and two dozen beautiful Butterfly Cards each one the key to a special romantic surprise! That s 24 ways to say I love you. 24 chances to let your lover know You Still Give Me Butterflies

And a gift certificate for a massage.

Giantbear - my husband really appreciates your efforts here. :) I'm thinking maybe you'll get a lot of good bedroom karma.