PDA

View Full Version : Questions about buying jeans

KrisM
02-11-2012, 11:06 PM
First question - do expensive jeans last longer? The priciest jeans I've owned are from Gap. They last about 9 months at most before I have holes either in the knee or around the pockets. If I try for high-end pricey jeans, will they last for a few years?

Secon question - do jeans fit all day? I just bought a pair of jeans last night (since my Gap jeans from September now all have holes). In the store, they were snug and even tight in my waist. Definite muffin-top. I brought them home, washed them and put them on today. Slightly tighter in the waist today. I wore them all day. Tonight, I can take them off without unbuttoning them. They slide right down. Really, by noon, I start pulling them up constantly. These are not Gap, but I have this problem with pretty much any brand I've owned. Anyway around this?

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
02-11-2012, 11:10 PM
1. I have yet to splurge on jeans so I'll leave that to someone else. :) I have this pesky 10lbs to go till I will spend the money. I have tried them on though and they are quite wonderful. If I had a Nordstrom Rack near me I could see owning some...just can't pay full price.

2. It depends on how much spandex. Some of mine are much better all day and some are like you describe.

KrisM
02-11-2012, 11:11 PM
2. It depends on how much spandex. Some of mine are much better all day and some are like you describe.

Do I want more or less Spandex?

kozachka
02-12-2012, 12:08 AM
You want less Spandex since that's what makes the fabric stretch more.

Premium designer jeans might or might not last longer, depends on what causes your Gap jeans to develop holes/tear. Mine last way longer than 9 months but I only wear them on Fri-Sun and have 2-3 pairs in rotation. I also don't wash them after each wear.

If I were you, I'd return the pair that stretched so much that you could take it off without unbuttoning. This is unacceptable. Then hit a few stores to figure out what fits you well. If you do a search, you'd get a few ideas at different price ranges, starting from Old Navy to Lucky Jeans to designer brands.

Classic Rider from the Lucky Jeans fit me best and are comfortable, too. I wear them on week-ends and buy for $35 plus tax from Marshall's. I got my first couple pairs from the Lucky Jeans store/website or department stores at 50% off during sales.

There are plenty of sites that carry premium and designer denim and discount it, so as long as you know what brand and line fit you best and can return it (no two pairs of jeans fit the same) then there is no reason to pay retail, even if you don't live close to a Nordstrom Rack. I could have gotten Joe Jeans for >$40 from RueLaLa last Sunday on Stylethon if they fit me well. Do budget for hemming designer jeans.

mom2binsd
02-12-2012, 12:16 AM
I have some inexpensive Lee jeans and some Lucky jeans (although Lucky's aren't really premium), and others in between. I've never had a hole develop in them anywhere. I probably wash only after wearing twice unless they get dirty. but I don't wear jeans everyday and I'm not doing much other than going shopping, out etc. If I'm gardening, playing at the park I'm in sweats/athletic type pants.

Do you "play" with the kids at the park etc in them...or is your washer tough on clothes?

Premium one's may even be a little thinner.

I find my jeans stretch out, but not as much as you describe. I don't have many with a lot of stretch in them.

citymama
02-12-2012, 02:26 AM
Lucky Sweet N Lows have been a fabulous investment for me. One step up from Gap but not as crazy $$ as some of the premium brands. I went to Nordies planning to splurge on 7s or some other premium brand and I hated them all! The mall had a Lucky store, I tried on the Sweet N Lows and figured out my size (smaller than my Gap size) and loved them. They go on sale on the Lucky website or are even at Marshalls and Ross sometimes I'm told. They retain their shape really well and I've gotten tons of compliments on them!

nfowife
02-12-2012, 09:50 AM
I've just started buying premium jeans. I have been buying on ebay- best bet is go to Nordstrom or Nordstrom rack and try on, and then try and get a pair on the cheap on ebay. Nordstrom Rack also has good deals just normally. I got a pair of Joe's there for $60 that are $180 in the store.

In terms of stretch/sag potential, I think it's really hit or miss. I have some $15 kohl's sonoma jeans that don't stretch and I can wear them a few times. My Joe's sag a lot- not as quickly as your gap ones but I can only wear them maybe 2 days and then they must be washed. My David Kahn's though, I love the fit and I can wear them indefinitely and they stretch a little to be perfect and then no sag. They fit awesome for as long as I can keep them presentable looking. But both of those pairs are the same 98/2 fabric combo of cotton/stretch. I think the rinse has something to do with it too.

By the way it's not good to dry your jeans in the dryer as it degrades the spandex. I wash inside out, hang dry, then when dry put in the dryer for a few minutes to soften them up.

The David Kahns were ~$20 on ebay.

KrisM
02-12-2012, 11:06 AM
These last pairs spent little if any time at the playground. I do wear them daily and have 3 pairs that I rotate. I wash them about every 10 days, so 3 wears or so each. I do play with the kids on the floor, but not crawling around, just sitting and doing games, etc.

The pair I bought the other day has 1% spandex. I thought that seemed low enough, because I know some are much higher. But, I'll try for less and see if they are better.

viba424
02-12-2012, 09:09 PM
I think it has to do with the weight of the denim, not the designer. Most of the jeans I have had wear out are the thin ones. I kinda prefer thin denim but they just wear out a bit faster. The longest lasting jeans I have owned are from Gap (the trouser style), and especially the Ann Taylor curvy fit skinny jeans. I wear those to death and dry them in the dryer and aside from one getting a slight faded line on the leg where they naturally crease, they are in great shape. Total workhorses. I think I paid $35 for them on sale.

scriptkitten
02-12-2012, 09:33 PM
most of my designer jeans hold their shape MUCH better than cheaper jeans. this is why i won't by cheaper jeans anymore. after having my twins i bought cheaper jeans for a while since i wasn't at my regular size and they all made me so stabby by the end of the day.

ray7694
02-12-2012, 09:38 PM
After years of debating spending the money with my friend I bit the bullet and hands down expensive jeans fit better and last longer. I had to try on a million. You don't want to dry jeans either.

Do you have a Nordstrom?