PDA

View Full Version : Which convertible?

Melaine
02-12-2012, 08:41 AM
We have a Snugride (thanks DietCokeLover) for our spring little guy. I would like to go ahead and register for a good convertible and/or start scouting out deals. I doubt I will want to use the snugride more than a few months...3 or 4. I might use it as a second seat until he is too big, but I would probably be ready to move to a convertible before 2013 rolls around.

The girls have marathons, and we like them. Should I just think about getting him a marathon also, or something else? Assume he'll be going in it at like 4 months old maybe. Just want a safe seat, high rear-facing limit. Size is not really an issue because he'll be in the middle row and DDs are going to move to the back row of the van.

So can those in the know give me several good safe options for a convertible and I will probably register for one and just keep watching for sales if I don't get one? TIA!!!

Beth24
02-12-2012, 11:31 AM
I love my Boulevard. I also moved DS ar 4 months and he was really comfortable in it.

mom2binsd
02-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Honestly I would wait, and see how he likes the infant seat...you may get more time in it and with older siblings going places it's nice to have the baby contained!

Are they girls going to be moving into something like a Frontier/Nautilus in the next year? If so, I'd look at passing their MA down to the baby. I can't remember how old they are, but this might work too.

KrisM
02-12-2012, 01:51 PM
How old are the girls? Are they rear-facing still? If they're forward-facing, I would buy them something new and hand down the Marathons, unless the MAs are expiring soon.

Melaine
02-12-2012, 07:43 PM
They are 5.5 and forward facing now....I need to check the expiration on their MA...I don't think it's too much longer. They are also super girley which I know won't fly with DH. I need to check the expiration though. Ok, it's 8-21-07.

What should the next step for them be when they have outgrown the MAs?

DietCokeLover
02-12-2012, 07:47 PM
We have a Snugride (thanks DietCokeLover) for our spring little guy.

You're welcome! :wink2:

Melaine
02-12-2012, 07:56 PM
So it's six years from DOM, right?

Joolsplus2
02-12-2012, 07:58 PM
So it's six years from DOM, right?

Yeah, on those seats it is 6 years, so they'll be expired by the time he needs one.

Melaine
02-12-2012, 08:11 PM
But they'll expire 8-13 so I could potentially use it for a year until I found a deal on another one.....

ANOTHER problem! I think DDs ARE outgrowing the seats. SHOOT. I took them outside just to check and the tip of their ears are not to the shell but the shoulders are questionable. Like, if they sit kind of "comfy" they are at the top strap but if they really straighten up they are sort of above. YIKES....is this like an emergency situation must buy new seats tomorrow? Or is it like I need to buy seats very soon?

And what is next?

Joolsplus2
02-12-2012, 08:43 PM
I just saw your post at c-s.o, lol.
Not sure I agree that it's a dire situation, honestly, because I've been 'there' with my own kid...here she was at that age, and she still fit another good 6 months, another 12 months if the seat was installed really upright in our other car... http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/ffalbum/sarah.aspx
So your next choice... Frontiers or Nautiluses or a booster like the Parkway SGL...sort of depends on the kids (mature? not car sleepers?) and the car (What are you driving? Can they self buckle? Can you put them next to each other in boosters in one row so they don't leeeeean over to see each other, or put the baby between them to keep them both happy? That sort of thing)

KrisM
02-12-2012, 08:44 PM
At 5.5, if they'll sit well, you could put them in belt-positioning boosters. My DD will be 6 in June and she'll be in one by then. She's ridden in DS1's a couple times when we have other kids younger than need the harness she has. She does really well so far.

If you want to keep them harnessed, a Frontier or Nautilus is your best bet. They'll harness for a while and then can be a booster.

I'd probably move them to something, since you need to, and use the Marathons until they expire. Think you can register for boosters? :)

Melaine
02-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks guys....so they only sleep in the car on long trips. Is it not ok to sleep in boosters at all? They are pretty obedient and I *think* they can sit ok in a booster, but I'm not sure since I've never put them in one. They are able to buckle and unbuckle the Marathons with no trouble, so I think they would be ok with seat belts. We are driving a 2000 Ford Windstar Van. I would probably rather keep them harnessed if I have the choice but the price is going to be painful right now. At least the tax return is coming....that is certainly some consolation.

Melaine
02-12-2012, 09:03 PM
I just saw your post at c-s.o, lol.
Not sure I agree that it's a dire situation, honestly, because I've been 'there' with my own kid...here she was at that age, and she still fit another good 6 months, another 12 months if the seat was installed really upright in our other car... http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/ffalbum/sarah.aspx
So your next choice... Frontiers or Nautiluses or a booster like the Parkway SGL...sort of depends on the kids (mature? not car sleepers?) and the car (What are you driving? Can they self buckle? Can you put them next to each other in boosters in one row so they don't leeeeean over to see each other, or put the baby between them to keep them both happy? That sort of thing)

Yes, that is pretty much exactly where we are at with the fit.

Melaine
02-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Do you guys think Maestros would be ok for the girls?

KrisM
02-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks guys....so they only sleep in the car on long trips. Is it not ok to sleep in boosters at all? They are pretty obedient and I *think* they can sit ok in a booster, but I'm not sure since I've never put them in one. They are able to buckle and unbuckle the Marathons with no trouble, so I think they would be ok with seat belts. We are driving a 2000 Ford Windstar Van. I would probably rather keep them harnessed if I have the choice but the price is going to be painful right now. At least the tax return is coming....that is certainly some consolation.

DS1 sleeps no problem in the Parkway. We drive overnight from MI to NH every year and he sleeps. I like the high back for that.

Joolsplus2
02-13-2012, 09:10 AM

They probably would have some growing room in them as harnessed seats, but I'd probably just go for good boosters (which are probably better for sleeping, bigger headwings), given their age and the expense of the Maestro for how short it will last. Check that sticky up top for pros and cons about current high back boosters, that might help you narrow down your choice.

Joolsplus2
02-13-2012, 09:13 AM
...or Nautiluses... :D. Two for 268 is a really good price, I rarely see them for below 150 each anymore.

Melaine
02-13-2012, 09:21 AM
...or Nautiluses... :D. Two for 268 is a really good price, I rarely see them for below 150 each anymore.

Thanks....I will talk to DH about it tonight. I just feel nervous about the boosters....but I'm going to give him a chance to look at the options! On the other forum several suggested the turboboosters....are those decent?

lmwbasye
02-13-2012, 09:52 AM
If you can swing it, I would go with 2 Nautiluses. I'd try to avoid boosters a bit longer for now, but that's just me.

Good luck with your decision.

Joolsplus2
02-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks....I will talk to DH about it tonight. I just feel nervous about the boosters....but I'm going to give him a chance to look at the options! On the other forum several suggested the turboboosters....are those decent?

Turbos are ok, in that they do fit smaller children really well, and they are better than most other seats on the shelves in stores. They tend not to be my favorite because I think other boosters have more substantial headwings for side impact protection, more padding for better butt comfort, and taller backs for extended height use. (Diono Monterey, Britax Parkway, and the oddly cheap choice of the Safety 1st Boost Air are my faves, though the Recaro Probooster might also be really nice, I hear it's a bit tippy on flat bench seats).

Sopamanda
02-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Heya! DS has a turbobooster which he finds uncomfortable. We just got a Monterey for our other car, which he much prefers.

I'm in the same boat re:baby. Thinking I'll scope for boulevards but have time, thankfully.

AnnieW625
02-13-2012, 01:31 PM
We have a BLVD70, and an Roundabout 55. I got the BLVD in May, 2011 for $189 ( I used some Amazon credits), and then got the Roundabout 55 for $100 from the Wayfair.com sale a couple of months ago. I love the headwings on the BLVD and the no rethread harness and the Cowmoo print, but DD2 is equally happy in the Smokey Pearl Roundabout. The Roundabout is nice to travel with too. I like the new generation Britax seats more than the original Marathon we had for DD1.

I don't think boosters are bad at all; I have never understood why they get such a bad rap. It sounds like your girls will be fine in them. My DD will be 6 in April and we moved her to her high back Turbo Booster at 5/1/2. She sleeps okay in the seat, but for the one long trip we went on we did use her frontier as a belted booster. It was maybe a tad more comfy, but the locking belt issue we had with it made it a pain. I much prefer the Frontier as a harnessed seat. Call me cheap, but had I not spent so much money on the Frontiers that I ended up hating as belted boosters (I have since sold one, and am debating about selling the other) I probably would have sprung for the Monterey. If you can find one near you I would also look at the Safety First Boost Air Protect booster, which is about $70 at Kmart; maybe less. DD1 had her heart set on a pink/brown TB from Target so the Graco Turbobooster won out and I told that was her last seat!

I have no experience with the Maestro but had that been out when DD1 was 2/1/2 and had outgrown her small convertible seat I most likely would have bought one instead of the Fromtier. I was equally if not a little more happy with our Evenflo seat as I was with the Britax Marathon.

Melaine
02-14-2012, 08:58 AM
You guys, this is going to give BOTH DH and I a huge anxiety attack. Last night he sort of had a breakdown about money. I felt truly horrible since I am the one always spending it. It has just been one thing or another lately and there will be a whole slew of things coming up with the baby. I'm actually considering choosing a VBAC over a C to save money. :shake: Then this morning we woke up to a flat tire, which not only costs money (obviously) but keeps me from getting out to a craigslist sale which I had scheduled.

Please, please, please tax refund come quickly. :praying:

I told DH we could wait on that to buy the seats. Hopefully it will come next week sometime. He told me to buy what I thought was safest, but I guess I really need to consider some of the other options that are cheaper than the nauti.

I'm intrigued by the Air Protect Booster, that looks pretty cool. I guess I need to do more reading. Any other advice would be helpful!

Joolsplus2
02-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Here's a really bad album, but it gives you a sense of it... https://picasaweb.google.com/104971860341203318894/Safety1stCompleteAirBooster?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ-XweDvxcD-VA
And about the last three pictures in this album show good fit... https://picasaweb.google.com/104971860341203318894/LeahInCarseats
Got mine for $53 at kmart.com with a coupon, cute pink ones are at my walmart for $69.

Crossing fingers for your tax return fast :hug:

Melaine
02-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Which parkway would I be looking at? The SG or the SGL?

Joolsplus2
02-14-2012, 09:32 AM
I don't think boosters are bad at all; I have never understood why they get such a bad rap.

Probably this... http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/ It's a very compelling video that made the rounds a couple years ago, and they did a LOT to get the word out about harnessing as long as possible, for better or for worse (better because, yeah, five points are safer for everyone, worse because they made it seem like properly used boosters might not be a safe enough choice).

Melaine
02-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks Julie! It looks nice. I think if we can get our tire fixed I will try to take the girls to try that one.

Another question: If I go with a booster, how long will the girls be in it v. expiration? DH brought up buying a GN color for DS but I wonder if it would be worth it considering I would want to booster them for absolutely as long as they need it, ywkim? They would love pink and they already are sad to say goodbye to the pretty marathons!

Melaine
02-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Probably this... http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/ It's a very compelling video that made the rounds a couple years ago, and they did a LOT to get the word out about harnessing as long as possible, for better or for worse (better because, yeah, five points are safer for everyone, worse because they made it seem like properly used boosters might not be a safe enough choice).

Yes, I definitely remember that and it does stick in my mind. Harnessed just seems safer, period. Plus the whole idea that race car drivers wear harnesses and all that stuff.

Joolsplus2
02-14-2012, 09:37 AM
You'll need a booster for about 5 more years, depending on how soon they fit safely in the adult seatbelt (butts all the way back, lap belt low, feet flat on the floor, shoulderbelt on shoulder). Maybe three more years with the highback, and then this one becomes a backless if peer pressure is ever an issue or you need to pop it into a friend's car. Most boosters are good for 6 years, cheaper ones will be 1-2 years old already, but if you need another backless in 4+ years, they are only $13 at Target (just got the cosco top side for Leah the other day, it's great, and so cheap!)

Melaine
02-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks that helps. I see no reason why we shouldn't get pink then.

vonfirmath
02-14-2012, 09:45 AM

My 4.5 year old sits in a Maestro. Around his 5th birthday I intend to get a highback booster for him for the secondary car (DD will soon need the seat he uses as his secondary, a Roundabout50, since her seat expires Dec 2012) and keep using the Maestro in the primary while we booster train. With hopes that by the time he hits 50 pounds he'll be able to sit in boosters in both cars.

Joolsplus2
02-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Which parkway would I be looking at? The SG or the SGL?

Depends on if you want the ability to LATCH it in, or which one has the best color :D. SGL has a LATCH strap.
Just realized you asked this...

Melaine
02-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Depends on if you want the ability to LATCH it in, or which one has the best color :D. SGL has a LATCH strap.

Thanks....if it isn't latched is it just the seatbelt holding it in or does it strap in the seat?

Thanks for answering all my questions. Now I am stuck at home because of the flat tire and obsessing over this!

Melaine
02-14-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm definitely getting a booster. I'm positive. I've decided.

Joolsplus2
02-14-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm definitely getting a booster. I'm positive. I've decided.

:thumbsup:

As for latchable ones, don't worry too much...Do you have LATCH in your van? In the back row?

Melaine
02-14-2012, 10:20 AM
We have it in the middle, not sure about the back....and we will need them in the back with newbie coming.

Melaine
02-14-2012, 10:21 AM
How do I decide between a parkway and a boost air whatever thingy? Just go to look at them and try to decide which is a better fit?

Joolsplus2
02-15-2012, 08:35 AM
How do I decide between a parkway and a boost air whatever thingy? Just go to look at them and try to decide which is a better fit?
Yup. Hard to find the PW, maybe if you have a fancy BRU or buy buy baby near you they will have one? Order one of each and return the one you don't like and buy the other?

Melaine
02-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks we will check BBB.

Melaine
02-15-2012, 03:35 PM
So Buy Buy Baby had the parkway, and I liked the fit. The girls liked them. I think we will actually get them from there. They had a brown color for only $80 and you can use the 20% off on them. So that will bring them down to $64 each and then I have maybe $18 store credit. Plus I sold some stuff on CL this week and can put the cash towards them.
At first the girls were put out that there wasn't a pink option but then I asked them if it was more important to be comfy or to be pink and they said comfy. (Kind of shocked at that answer, frankly). Thanks everyone for the help. I think we are going to be ok with the boosters.

Joolsplus2
02-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Yay! Good deal :)

Melaine
02-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Bought them last night, using coupons, store credit and cash I got this week from the CL clothing we only had to put $40 on the credit card for the two parkways, so DH was very happy. Haven't installed them yet, but I am feeling good about it. Thanks for all the Q&A!!!

vonfirmath
02-16-2012, 11:09 AM

Thank you. I'll be needing to buy a booster in about 6 months and this is making me lean toward looking at the parkway SGL. Before, I thought of course I'd get the Turbobooster.

arivecchi
02-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Bought them last night, using coupons, store credit and cash I got this week from the CL clothing we only had to put $40 on the credit card for the two parkways, so DH was very happy. Haven't installed them yet, but I am feeling good about it. Thanks for all the Q&A!!!Great deal! Hope you all like them!