PDA

View Full Version : How to tactfully end a playdate?

HIU8
02-12-2012, 10:31 PM
I need some ideas please.

DS had a playdate at our house over the weekend. The parent brought DS's friend and the younger sibling. All 4 kids (my 2 and the friend and sibling) had fun, but the parent stayed for 5 hours. DH and I were dropping hints that they needed to leave but they never got up to go. At one point I left to run out to the store and thanked them for coming IF they were gone when I returned. DH was at a loss of what to do. This hasn't really happened to us before. Mostly, playdates have been 2 hours long and then they are over. I honestly did not know how to handle this. Until we figure out how to not let this happen again, the child will not be invited over.

If this has happened to you, what have you done to end the playdate?

Jo..
02-12-2012, 10:34 PM
This happens to us with play dates and has happened with our babysitter. We have learned to be polite but frank.

We say "Thank you so much for coming, my kids LOVED the time with you, but now it's time for xxx" (dinner, nap, bed, bath, store, etc).

lalasmama
02-12-2012, 10:36 PM
We make sure to have an appointment about 3 hours after the start of the playdate, no matter who's house it's at. It's a little harder on the weekends, but I still try to have an "appointment" of some sort, where someone is expecting us somewhere at a specific time.

In the past, we've had extra long playdates that I couldn't figure out how to end... and with my general social anxiety anyway, I try to always give myself an out!

wellyes
02-12-2012, 10:37 PM
This happens to us with play dates and has happened with our babysitter. We have learned to be polite but frank.

We say "Thank you so much for coming, my kids LOVED the time with you, but now it's time for xxx" (dinner, nap, bed, bath, store, etc).

:yeahthat: Love nap time.
Also, put yourself in their shoes. Wouldn't you rather be politely asked to leave rather than be awkwardly tolerated?

JMS
02-12-2012, 10:38 PM
I would just try to avoid the situation in the future by saying, "would you and your DC like to come over to play on Saturday from 2 to 4? We usually eat dinner early on the weekends (blah, blah, whatever, blah) but would love to get together beforehand!"

Set a time frame and a reason for ending on time... GL! :)

mackmama
02-12-2012, 10:42 PM
I would just try to avoid the situation in the future by saying, "would you and your DC like to come over to play on Saturday from 2 to 4? We usually eat dinner early on the weekends (blah, blah, whatever, blah) but would love to get together beforehand!"

Set a time frame and a reason for ending on time... GL! :)

:yeahthat:

Giantbear
02-12-2012, 10:50 PM
so when in this situation, i shouldn't turn to them and say 'ok, you can go home now' ??

ahisma
02-12-2012, 10:58 PM
I like the ideas mentioned, it's pretty much what we do.

- set up the playdate with a start and stop time
- give the kids a 15 minute (or so) warning that it's about time to wrap up
- tell the other parent & the kids that it's almost nap time, time to leave, whatever
- tell the parents that you're done! A friend did that at a somewhat large dinner party the other night, caught us all off guard (it was 9!) but no one was offended:)

Jo..
02-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Oh I forgot to mention...Our previous babysitter/current neighbor was a TERRIBLE lingerer.

I would chat with her on the couch for 30 minutes or so, then holler out "Dave! Can you get the kids in their pjs? It's time for bed"! OR..."Dave! Do the kids need to go potty? We have to goto the store in a few minutes".

Even so, and despite mentioning a start and end time, I often had to literally kick her out.

:K...Thank you SO much for watching the kids, They loved their time with you. But now we need to go to the store. Can I walk you home"?

California
02-13-2012, 12:30 AM
You have kids. It's OK to set a limited time. And then to announce, "Let's end this on a good note while the kids are still in a great mood." If you need to say more, "My kids will be tired and cranky soon from all the excitement. Ten minute warning time!" and there you go. No need to tell them that you are really the one who will get tired and cranky if they don't leave soon!

carolinamama
02-13-2012, 12:54 AM
You have kids. It's OK to set a limited time. And then to announce, "Let's end this on a good note while the kids are still in a great mood." If you need to say more, "My kids will be tired and cranky soon from all the excitement. Ten minute warning time!" and there you go. No need to tell them that you are really the one who will get tired and cranky if they don't leave soon!

I really like this one. That's almost kinda funny that the parent stayed for 5 hours. I much prefer dropoff playdates anyway so I can get things done and not feel like I'm entertaining.