PDA

View Full Version : Have you figured out your "colors" or know what colors you look terrible in?

artvandalay
02-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Did you discover it through trial and error? Or take one of those tests?

I know I look terrible in black or white tops. It took me years to figure out that black is not flattering on me. I always thought that black was a good color choice for going out at night... so now what do I wear?

Beyond the black and white thing, I'm pretty clueless about what colors look best on me. I wish I had an eye for this sort of thing.

hillview
02-13-2012, 10:19 AM
I look great in red or black. I look good in dark pink/purple and navy. I look bad in pale colors and white or light tan colors. Green or yellow are not a good color for me except a more kelly green (I have yellow under tones). I actually have looked at myself in different colors and figured this out. The light colors wash me out.

wendibird22
02-13-2012, 10:19 AM
I've never figured it out. I've read several online tests and never seem to fit one of the categories. I have light brown hair with light brown eyes and fair skin. I'm too dark for the spring/summer categories assigned to blonds and I'm took fair for the winter/autumn categories. I think I tend to look best in jewel tones (so more of a cool) but I'm not 100% sure. There's a company here that does color analysis and gives you a personal color pallet (think paint chips on a binder clip) to take with you when shopping. I've always wanted to do something like that but can't bring myself to spend the $ on it.

babybell
02-13-2012, 11:31 AM
I am a winter. Blacks, browns, earth tones.

Pastels just do not work with my darker features. And I feel like an Easter egg.

elbenn
02-13-2012, 11:40 AM
I've always been interested in knowing my colors, but, like Wendibird, I can't seem to figure out the color tests either. I know I don't look good in olive, tan, beige, browns, and oranges. Artvandalay, are you drawn to any certain colors? It might be because you look best in them.

justlearning
02-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Did you discover it through trial and error? Or take one of those tests?

I know I look terrible in black or white tops. It took me years to figure out that black is not flattering on me. I always thought that black was a good color choice for going out at night... so now what do I wear?

Beyond the black and white thing, I'm pretty clueless about what colors look best on me. I wish I had an eye for this sort of thing.

My aunt always handed down her beauty books to my mom and me, so I read "Color Me Beautiful" back probably over 20 years ago. So I've known ever since then that I'm a "summer." I also know that my husband and DS1 are "winters" and that DS2 is a summer. I still pull that book off my bookshelf regularly just to confirm that a color is a summer in case it's a questionable one.

If you look horrible in black and white, those are winter colors. Summers and winters are based on cool colors so summers can wear winter colors and not look great but they won't look horrible either. So you're likely either an "autumn" or "spring," which are the warm colors.

Colors do make a difference. When I started dating DH, he had almost an entire wardrobe of autumn colors and he always looked so washed out in them. I knew the night of our first date that he was a winter but didn't have the nerve to tell him that other colors would look better on him until much farther along in our relationship. Now his wardrobe is full of winter colors and he looks so much more alive in them. (Even he realized a big difference in how he looked when he started wearing the right colors.)

justlearning
02-13-2012, 11:43 AM
I am a winter. Blacks, browns, earth tones.

Pastels just do not work with my darker features. And I feel like an Easter egg.

Black is a winter color but in general most earth tones are warm colors and not part of winter (at least as defined by the "Color Me Beautiful" book).

wendibird22
02-13-2012, 12:36 PM
I must be a winter or summer then because I tend to be washed out in earth tones. I do better in navy, teal, raspberry, red, purple, black, and stark white, but not so hot in petal pink, peach, off white/cream, tan, etc. So how do you tell the difference between a winter and a summer?

artvandalay
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Artvandalay, are you drawn to any certain colors? It might be because you look best in them.

I like silver jewelry. I am always drawn to cool colors (blues, lavender), but my skin isn't cool. I'm pretty fair skinned but with ivory (warm complexion). My eyes are blue.

I just looked this up. I sort of have similar coloring to Jennifer Aniston (but I am not as tan as her) and this says that she is a "Soft Muted" season. But my skin is so pale, I keep thinking I belong in Spring....

http://www.thechicfashionista.com/seasonal-color-analysis-2.html

I thought I could be Spring, but like wendibird, I"m not blonde.. I"m more golden brown/medium brown with some blonde highlights. Maybe you are a muted, too, wendibird?

I wore a salmon colored top once and a friend told me that I look really good in salmon. I think I also might look good in oatmeal/ivory colors.

I'd love to have a professional analyze me, too... but I don't want to spend the $ ;)

artvandalay
02-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Ugh.. maybe I'm a Warm Clear? My eyes are pretty bright blue/turquiose. So confusing!

artvandalay
02-13-2012, 12:49 PM
I knew the night of our first date that he was a winter but didn't have the nerve to tell him that other colors would look better on him until much farther along in our relationship. Now his wardrobe is full of winter colors and he looks so much more alive in them. (Even he realized a big difference in how he looked when he started wearing the right colors.)

Oh, that is really neat that you were able to do that for him! I'll have to get this book from the library.

I think we become comfortable with certain colors and continue to buy them without really knowing if they are flattering or not.

I had a really beautiful maroon sweater that I loved (on the hanger), but whenver I wore it, it really didn't look that great. I think it was too dark or something and made me look really pale. I had a hard time giving it away because it wasn't an inexpesive sweater, but I realized I was never going to look good in it.

justlearning
02-13-2012, 01:03 PM
I must be a winter or summer then because I tend to be washed out in earth tones. I do better in navy, teal, raspberry, red, purple, black, and stark white, but not so hot in petal pink, peach, off white/cream, tan, etc. So how do you tell the difference between a winter and a summer?

It sounds like you're definitely a winter. I don't have time to elaborate but one difference between summer and winter would be that a winter would look good in pure white whereas a summer looks good in winter white (a cool off white but not warm ivory).

MoJo
02-13-2012, 01:04 PM
I *think* I'm a spring, but I've never been sure.

I have very fair skin with pink undertones, dark blue eyes, dark blond/light brown/no one quite knows what to call it hair. I almost can't tan; I freckle, and burn if I'm out unprotected in summer for more than 15 minutes at a time.

But I'm confused, because my DH thinks colors look good on me that I just don't.

And I'm drawn to blue. . . it's my favorite color. . . because almost any shade draws attention to my eyes which I think are one of my best and most unusual features.

hellokitty
02-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Due to my skin tone and black hair, for the most part, I can wear most colors. I don't like to wear white, I don't think it looks nice on me and also it gets dirty being a sahm and wearing white, lol. I like earth tones, BUT the colors that fetch me the most compliments are usually bright, vivid colors, like magenta, hot pink, coral, etc.. I'm getting sick of black, b/c for decades, I stuck mostly to black. I think I look ok in it, but I'm finding it to be really boring. Brown is now my new black, lol.

crl
02-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I have dark brown hair, pale blue eyes and pale skin. I am more r less a winter. Pastels look terrible on me. Eggplant, teal, dark blue are my best colors.

Catherine

lutefisk
02-13-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm a spring -- look awful in black or white tops, love clear bright colors. Gold jewelry (on the rare occasions I wear it and risk DD yanking it off).

There is also a Color Me Beautiful makeup book, which might help figure out your season if you are unsure.

roseyloxs
02-13-2012, 02:17 PM

I have very fair skin with pink undertones, dark blue eyes, dark blond/light brown/no one quite knows what to call it hair. I almost can't tan; I freckle, and burn if I'm out unprotected in summer for more than 15 minutes at a time.

But I'm confused, because my DH thinks colors look good on me that I just don't.

And I'm drawn to blue. . . it's my favorite color. . . because almost any shade draws attention to my eyes which I think are one of my best and most unusual features.

Did I write this because if I didn't I could have? So you're saying I might be a spring because I have never figured it out. I am so with you on the blue too. I usually get some comment about the shirt bringing out my eye color.

lizzywednesday
02-13-2012, 02:46 PM
I have medium-to-dark brown hair with reddish-gold undertones, very pale skin with pink undertones and hazel eyes.

I lean towards jewel tones - teal, forest green, kelly green, wine, etc.

My "default neutral" is chocolate brown.

I look dreadful in black, and have excised it from most of my wardrobe. I'm not crazy about the way I look in white, mostly due to the way a white blouse will make my shoulders look. (FTR, my wedding dress was white and looked good on me - ivory dresses made me look like I was suffering from liver disease.)

artvandalay
02-13-2012, 03:16 PM
I think this is such an interesting topic.

I was thinking about how I dress my daughter. I never dressed my boys in pastels/pinks (obviously) but now that I dress my daugher in "girl" colors, I've noticed something.

She has the same coloring as me, and she looks really good in pinks (not pale pink -but regular pinks, coral pinks, rose/dusty pinks), lavenders and light blues/turquoise/aqua blues.

Whenever I put her in one of these colors, it seems to bring out the pink in her cheeks and make her blue eyes stand out even more.

I don't wear pink so I've never made the connection with myself. I"m going to have to look but I'm going to assume these are Spring colors.

artvandalay
02-13-2012, 03:46 PM

This says you might be a Summer because of your pink undertone. It also says you can brown hair and blue eyes

http://www.thechicfashionista.com/summer-color-analysis.html

ilfaith
02-13-2012, 03:50 PM
I have light-to-medium brown hair with reddish gold undertones ("light golden brown" according to the box), and green eyes with gold flecks (like a cat). I'd say my skin is light to medium in tone (a little more medium in the summer, or when I forget to wear sunscreen to tennis). I've always thought I was an autumn, but I think I look good in some brighter colors (I seem to get a lot of positive comments when I wear bright red or cobalt blue) as well. I look ghastly in pale pastels, which really wash me out, and while I think I look okay in black, I think I look better in brown (and terrible in all but the darkest shades of grey).

lovin2shop
02-13-2012, 03:53 PM
I still have a hard time with this, but my best guess is that I'm a Deep Winter, which is a traditional winter which can travel into the warmer, darker autumn tones. I have dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, and very pale olive toned skin. I can wear black, but chocolate brown is my best color. Jewel tones are also good for me. I have to watch out on the warm tones though, it's a no go for me if they are too yellow. Pale colors also wash me out. Whites, off whites, and other neutrals are more difficult, but I can wear some. I had my colors done when I was younger, and the expert was actually stumped and couldn't decide on anything! She told me to come back when I was older because she thought my hair would darken, and she was right. So, I've always been kind of interested in this subject, and the Deep Winter seems to be the best description. I'm going to guess that I'm not easy to guess because my Mom and Dad seem to have complete opposite coloring in terms of warm and cool, and I think I inherited parts from each of them!

babybell
02-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Black is a winter color but in general most earth tones are warm colors and not part of winter (at least as defined by the "Color Me Beautiful" book).

I've never seen the book so maybe I have my terminology mixed up, I dunno.

ETA: Okay so I just went through the site that was linked. I'm definitely a deep winter. But even the winter palette it has some colors that I would consider "earth tones," like some shades of brown and grey. Maybe I don't know the definition of "earth tone"?

swissair81
02-13-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm a definite autumn. I have light to medium skin, blue eyes, and brown hair on the lighter end of the spectrum. I look best in earth tones.

larig
02-13-2012, 04:26 PM

:yeahthat:
I'm a winter--according to color me beautiful a million years ago. White, black, greys, jewel tones and icy pastels. Here's a link to an image from the book for winters (http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad105/4cathy4/?action=view&current=ColourMeBeautiful-Winter.jpg). (on the same page this woman has the others for spring, summer and autumn too).

ETA: I'm very fair, with dark (almost black) hair and blue eyes.

justlearning
02-13-2012, 04:51 PM
I've never seen the book so maybe I have my terminology mixed up, I dunno.

ETA: Okay so I just went through the site that was linked. I'm definitely a deep winter. But even the winter palette it has some colors that I would consider "earth tones," like some shades of brown and grey. Maybe I don't know the definition of "earth tone"?

These images are scanned from the book that I own (thanks, PP, for finding this link). So if you look at winter, you'll definitely see grays but not browns or beiges: http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad105/4cathy4/?action=view&current=ColourMeBeautiful-Winter.jpg#!oZZ51QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs926.phot obucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad105%2F4cathy4%2F%3Faction %3Dview%26current%3DColourMeBeautiful-Winter.jpg

If you look at summer, you'll see that they can wear some browns. IME, it's very hard to find a rose-beige like they have listed here. Nearly all beiges I've ever tired look horrible on me. http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad105/4cathy4/?action=view&current=ColourMeBeautiful-Winter.jpg#!oZZ52QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs926.phot obucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad105%2F4cathy4%2F%3Faction %3Dview%26current%3DColourMeBeautiful-Summer.jpg

If you look at spring, you'll see more earth tones: http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad105/4cathy4/?action=view&current=ColourMeBeautiful-Winter.jpg#!oZZ49QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs926.phot obucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad105%2F4cathy4%2F%3Faction %3Dview%26current%3DColourMeBeautiful-Spring.jpg

If you look at autumn, you'll also see more earth tones (at least how I think of earth tones--perhaps we're defining them differently): http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad105/4cathy4/?action=view&current=ColourMeBeautiful-Winter.jpg#!oZZ50QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs926.phot obucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad105%2F4cathy4%2F%3Faction %3Dview%26current%3DColourMeBeautiful-Autumn.jpg

artvandalay
02-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Ok, after looking at those swatches you linked to, I'm going to say I am most definitely a Spring. Thanks! Bookmarking it on my phone so I can reference it when I'm out shopping :tongue5:

babybell
02-13-2012, 10:00 PM
These images are scanned from the book that I own (thanks, PP, for finding this link). So if you look at winter, you'll definitely see grays but not browns or beiges: http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad105/4cathy4/?action=view&current=ColourMeBeautiful-Winter.jpg#!oZZ51QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs926.phot obucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad105%2F4cathy4%2F%3Faction %3Dview%26current%3DColourMeBeautiful-Winter.jpg

If you look at summer, you'll see that they can wear some browns. IME, it's very hard to find a rose-beige like they have listed here. Nearly all beiges I've ever tired look horrible on me. http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad105/4cathy4/?action=view&current=ColourMeBeautiful-Winter.jpg#!oZZ52QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs926.phot obucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad105%2F4cathy4%2F%3Faction %3Dview%26current%3DColourMeBeautiful-Summer.jpg

If you look at spring, you'll see more earth tones: http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad105/4cathy4/?action=view&current=ColourMeBeautiful-Winter.jpg#!oZZ49QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs926.phot obucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad105%2F4cathy4%2F%3Faction %3Dview%26current%3DColourMeBeautiful-Spring.jpg

If you look at autumn, you'll also see more earth tones (at least how I think of earth tones--perhaps we're defining them differently): http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad105/4cathy4/?action=view&current=ColourMeBeautiful-Winter.jpg#!oZZ50QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs926.phot obucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad105%2F4cathy4%2F%3Faction %3Dview%26current%3DColourMeBeautiful-Autumn.jpg

Those are helpful. I think I'm a winter... but I am thrown off a bit by the icy colors. They don't really seem to fit in with me. And I don't think I look good in them either.

kaitlyns.mom
02-15-2012, 02:21 PM

This is me, too, although my eyes are bluish green and have brown around the pupils.

Looking at the links... I wear a ton of black but I don't think it's necessarily a great color for me! I LOVE aqua and green...

MoJo
02-15-2012, 02:53 PM
:waving4: Hi, roseyloxs and kaitlyns.mom! It seems like I don't look like most women, but I have had a twin every place I've ever lived!!!

Artvandalay, thanks for the link. But I'm still confused! My dark blue eyes have more brown flecks than gray, and if I'm in the sun my hair does get a lot of golden highlights. So that sounds warm. But the peachy color described in the "Spring" link there does NOT fit me. Peach never looks good on me. I carefully watch the pinks I wear to make sure that they are not too coral/peachy.

It's like my eyes and hair are warm but my skin is cool. So I'm confused!

(And FTR, neither of my parents have/had any of my coloring. Dad had black hair, hazel eyes and Native American red skin. Mom has dark brown hair (with noticable red highlights), dark brown eyes, and fair English skin. My oldest has my hair, brown eyes, but looks GREAT in peach. . . she probably is a spring. My youngest currently has super blond hair and blue eyes, but we're waiting on her eyes to change and expect she'll actually end up with dark brown hair like both my mom and my DH. . . who were both born with super blond hair!)

kaitlyns.mom
02-15-2012, 04:47 PM
I took a picture of myself in natural light and decided I am definitely cool undertones. And also that I desperately need highlights this spring. :ROTFLMAO: