PDA

View Full Version : DH threw his back out - what should I do to help?

echoesofspring
02-13-2012, 01:25 PM
I guess threw his back out is the right phrase, I don't really know. He was playing with DS and I heard him yell and when I got there he was on the floor. I kept him warm and gave him Advil and we put a little buckwheat heating pillow under him. After about 90 minutes he was able to stand up and is now taking a hot shower, but is still in a lot of pain. He tried sitting in his recliner but it was too painful, and he's not sure about the bed....Any BTDT? What's the best thing for him to do now?

Giantbear
02-13-2012, 01:30 PM
is it a muscle spasm or is it disk related?? If it is a muscle spasm, is it upper or lower? When i get spasms, they feel like someone is stabbing me with a knife, i find moist heat, advil and light stretching help, and deep muscle massage, the type that brings tears to your eyes, works great. I after a couple of days, i start to do light ab work to engage the muscle for active healing. If it is a disk, then get to a doctor.

BabyBearsMom
02-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Ugh, poor DH! When I throw my back out, I am much more comfortable in a recliner than I am in a bed. For me, icing it does more good than a heating pad because the ice reduces any inflamation. I swear by my chiropracter when my back goes out but I know chiros aren't for everyone. If you are opposed to chiro, go to a doctor and get a muscle relaxant. Good luck!

echoesofspring
02-13-2012, 01:33 PM
is it a muscle spasm or is it disk related??

I'm not sure - is there a way to tell from the pain/symptoms? I'm guessing muscle spasm since the heat and advil seemed to help a bit. It's definitely lower back.

brittone2
02-13-2012, 01:33 PM
He needs an evaluation to figure out whether you are dealing with a sprain, a strain, a disc issue, or any number of things. You might want to see his PCP and ask for a script for physical therapy. They will do a full evaluation. The PCP may want to RX a muscle relaxant (depending on what they think the origin of the issue is and whether your DH is having spasms) in the meantime.

I'd call the PCP and then look for a good orthopedic PT.

smiles33
02-13-2012, 01:34 PM
If he is still in pain, take him to the doctor. I threw my back out pre-kids. It locked up and I could not walk, so DH carried me to the car and brought me to the doctors. Just rolling the wheelchair over the threshold of the double glass doors to get INTO the hospital made me burst out in tears. I had to get strong muscle relaxants and then passed out cold. Slept on the floor of our first floor house for a week before I could go back to work. I couldn't even walk up the stairs to our bed.

Hope your DH's back injury isn't as bad as mine was, but don't hesitate to get it checked out and some appropriate meds stronger than just Advil!

Giantbear
02-13-2012, 01:37 PM
I would go to the doctor to find out which it is, the treatments are very different. I know i get spasms, but they can be debilitating. It usually knocks me out of commission for a couple of days until the spasms stop. I tried the chiropractic route, but found the deep muscle massage to be much more helpful as well as the stretching and light ab work. But first make sure it is not something else by going to the dr.

echoesofspring
02-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks everyone, he seems to be doing a bit better now. i'll give our dr. a call...

Sillygirl
02-13-2012, 02:37 PM
The "high grade" medical work up - including MRI imaging - offers very little value and is over prescribed. Exam by your PCP, muscle relaxants, physical therapy, and staying as active as possible are the way to start, unless there are specific red flags like loss of sensation or bowel control. A good PT is worth their weight in diamonds. I have back problems and my PT has saved me so much pain and disability.