PDA

View Full Version : Do you own a motorhome? travel trailer?

BeachBum
02-13-2012, 01:42 PM
We are thinking of buying (very earlier stages obviously) and I would love to hear about what you love/ hate about yours and how (long trips? short trips? toy hauler etc).

We went to an RV show this weekend I feel totally overwhelmed! We keep going round and round about what best meets our needs. There are certainly pros and cons to each of them, but it's hard to know what you need before you try it out.

brittone2
02-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Have you ever slept in one for a weekend? It may be worth renting (usually surprisingly pricey) or borrowing one from someone to experiment before committing to purchasing.

My parents have a travel trailer and have done a lot of traveling through the years that way as they are retired. They did not want a motorhome because once you pull in, you are stuck, or you have to tow another vehicle behind you, which can be cumbersome. For that reason my parents always preferred a travel trailer.

DH and I have had a pop up with a slide out (gives it more room) for 10 years or so now. It meets our needs well. We purchased used, which is a small fraction of the price new. We can pull with our van.

crl
02-20-2012, 11:31 PM
I would try to rent one first if you haven't stayed in one before. I hated it the one and only time we rented an RV. I wasn't expecting to so it was a surprise.

Catherine

twindad
02-21-2012, 10:11 PM
I would also highly recommend renting one before you buy. We have a pop-up camper that works for us. We used to do a lot of tent camping and my wife was not convinced that we should get one until we rented one.

AddieLuke
02-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Ditto on the renting first. Hubby would never have convinced me if we didn't rent one for vacation a few years ago. Plus renting gives you an idea of what features you can and can not live without.