PDA

View Full Version : Allergic reaction or something else?

BDKmom
02-13-2012, 08:11 PM
DS woke up with a rash on his arms legs and torso. I didn't see it, I was already at work when he woke up. DH called me and said he thought it was a reaction to the Oxyclean he added to the laundry this weekend. We usually wash everything in All free and clear, and DS has fairly sensitive skin, this sounded reasonable to me. DS temp was 99.8, but he is also teething. Called pedi nurse line and they recommended Benadryl and gave dosing info and said rash should clear with 1-2 doses. First dose at 10 am. MIL kept DS and said no real problems today, some itching at nap time. She didn't give him another dose, waited until I came to pick him up at 6. Gave another dose of Benadryl. Brought DS home and put him in bath, no soap, and he now 7:10, has a rash on his arms, legs and chest and is itching like crazy. Temp at 6:45 was 100.8. Shouldn't Benadryl have kicked in by now? Is this something viral, or something else? He seems to feel ok except for the itching. Trying to decide if we should take him to urgent care or wait for pedi in am.

Any input would be appreciated.

suzi
02-13-2012, 08:16 PM
I'd wait unless he has worse systemic symptoms like lethargy, cough, difficulty breathing or high fever. They'd probably just recommend Tylenol and Benadryl.

crl
02-13-2012, 08:49 PM
No rash around his mouth? No difficulty breathing? Assuming no to those I'd wait until the am and talk to the ped's office again.

Catherine

ray7694
02-13-2012, 08:49 PM
I just read a friend post on fb that said her son had a rash/fever and they are calling it a form of influenza.

BDKmom
02-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the responses. No difficulty breathing or rash around the mouth. Checked his temp again before bed and it was 98.9. Not sure if previous reading was error or what. No lethargy or any other symptoms, really, besides rash and itch, so we will see how the night goes and reasses in the morning.

MamaMolly
02-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Kids can get hives and rashes with viruses. Scary for mama, uncomfortable for your bunchkin. With the fever I wonder if it might not be a virus instead of an allergic reaction?

MamaKath
02-13-2012, 11:03 PM
If he is comfortable, I'd wait. I would gO to ped in am. That was my dc2 classic presentation of strep.