PDA

View Full Version : My DD Has Just Been DX'd with ADHD

LexyLou
02-14-2012, 01:36 AM
So, my DD1 has formally been dx'd with ADHD. I'm not surprised. I'm actually quite relieved, yet still sad for her. I'm sad because I feel like so many kids who have one issue, really have multiple issues. It's never just one thing. She had colic, then severe sleep apnea, she has horrible excema (we do nightly wet wraps), she's in speech therapy for a lisp, tongue thrust issue, and just got put in a reading intervention program...I hope getting her on meds helps make some of these other things (like speech and word blending) get better. Poor Girl. It doesn't help that her little sister gets things super easily and is really well behaved at school.

Anyone here have a kid on ritalin? That's what our Doc wants to put her on but I just read it acts like a mild form of cocaine!!

What are some of the other meds?

Thanks!

citymama
02-14-2012, 02:45 AM
No btdt with ADHD but I'm sending good thoughts your DDs way. sounds like a rough ride for her in many ways but it is great that you're on top of it and working to resolve as many of her issues as possible. She's a beautiful little girl as I recall, and much loved by her family - so she has a lot going for her! All the best.

sariana
02-14-2012, 03:13 AM
There are many other options. Your DD's doctor should discuss all of them with you, explaining the pros and cons of each and why s/he recommends one over another.

All ADHD medications are stimulants and thus "act" like cocaine. Or caffeine. In fact, some people use coffee as a "substitute" for ADHD medication.

And as I understand it, the meds have the same potential concerns as caffeine, namely growth issues and heart issues.

Your DD is young. Does her doctor say WHY he is so set on meds at such a young age? I realize 6 is generally considered the minimum, but I would hesitate to start that young without compelling evidence that it was the best course of action.

Good luck in your research. I wish I had more concrete information to offer you, but I am not knowledgeable as to all the different choices for ADHD.

karstmama
02-14-2012, 09:44 AM
best wishes for your dd's improved care with diagnosis.

i was just having a little sobfest last night about the same issue, why my very preemie ds who was so so sick for so so long now still has issues and how it's JUST NOT FAIR. you're right, it just isn't, dammit. so big commiseration on that part from me...

elliput
02-14-2012, 11:31 AM
:hug::hug::hug: No advice- just a bit of commiseration. DD's psychologist asked last week if we had considered having an ADHD assessment done. I'm taking the paperwork into DD's teacher today. This would be on top of the mild/moderate autism diagnosis she already has. Some of our kids just can't catch a break. :(

inmypjs
02-14-2012, 12:01 PM
I hear you about the multiple issues. DS (7) has multiple learning disabilities and ADD, while younger DD (5) just gets everything so fast. She reads some, writes well and does addition and subtraction in her head.

We are choosing not to medicate our DS at this time. The psychologist we saw did not recommend it aright now, due to his young age and some of the health concerns others mentioned.

Have you considered using fish oil if you don't already? Recently when I was researching what kind of fish oil supplements to get for our family, tons of people commented how effective fish oil can be for some kids with ADD/ADHD. I bought Carlsons liquid for our kids for all of the health benefits, but I figure if it helps with attention, even better.

Indianamom2
02-14-2012, 02:34 PM
:hug:First, I totally and completely understand. DD (7) was diagnosed this year with ADHD, anxiety, SPD and who knows what else we have yet to find.

Her little brother is so much easier and catches on to everything so fast...it is hard to see the differences a lot of the time.

Just as an FYI, not all ADHD meds are stimulants, there are at least 2-3 NON-stimulant meds available. DD is currently taking Strattera, which is a non-stimulant med. I'm not sure they tend to be very effective, but they are an option. I don't think it's going to be our "answer" but we had to give it a shot because she already has eating issues and we are really reluctant to give her a med that will affect her appetite.

Hang in there and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions about meds and treatments. There are options.

LexyLou
02-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm just kind of in that sad phase right now.

Her Dr. is not pushing the meds super hard. It's a decision we have all come to together.

It's very painful for DH and me to watch her struggle and get so frustrated that she physically shakes and screams, "I'm just not good at it. I can't do anything."

I'm not usually a fan of meds, but I just want to see her be able to concentrate and build confidence in herself.

It's so hard to see your child want to still their body and mind but be physically unable to do so. :(

Have you considered using fish oil if you don't already? Recently when I was researching what kind of fish oil supplements to get for our family, tons of people commented how effective fish oil can be for some kids with ADD/ADHD. I bought Carlsons liquid for our kids for all of the health benefits, but I figure if it helps with attention, even better.

You know, I had heard this but totally forgot about it. I will totally give it a try. How do you give it to them?

inmypjs
02-14-2012, 11:11 PM
I got the Carlson's liquid fish oil. It comes in lemon and orange flavor. I mix it with DS's OJ or just put it in water. It is oil, so it doesn't blend - you can see the oil bubbles soon after you stir it. DS doesn't mind though. He says you can't really taste it. DD is turned off by the appearance of the oil bubbles though so I put hers in applesauce and you can't see it at all. I ordered from a company called Iherb and was very pleased.

There are some other brands that come in different forms - maybe gummies and a squeezable pouch? I can't quite remember. I searched the lounge for posts on omegas and fish oil and there were a lot of recommendations there.

Gena
02-15-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm sad because I feel like so many kids who have one issue, really have multiple issues. It's never just one thing.

No advice, but I completely understand what you are saying here. My DS struggles with several challenges as well: autism, dyspraxia, asthma, albinism, vision impairment. The possibility of ADHD keeps coming up and we are (again) having him evaluated for that. It just doesn't seem fair that some kids have so many issues to deal with.

We give DS Omega supplements too. In the past we have used Nordic Naturals and Coromega. Currently we are using MorEpa. Sometimes you have to try different brands to find what works best for your child.