PDA

View Full Version : When's your race?

Twoboos
02-14-2012, 08:51 AM
If you have a road race or other event coming up, post your date here!

I am running a 5k on April 15. Which means I REALLY need to start training. I have been walking and doing a little running on the treadmill, but I think I'm getting shin splints!! EEK!

artvandalay
02-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Nice thread!

Next month DH and I are planning on running a St. Patrick's Day 7K. I need to get a sitter before we sign up.

Beyond that, I am planning on doing a few 5K's this Spring/Summer. My ultimate goal is to run a 10k by this Fall.

TwoBoos, have you looked into C25K for your training?

SnuggleBuggles
02-14-2012, 09:36 AM
I have an 18 mile challenge hike in June. I am toying with the 36 mile version because I tried last year and only made it to mile 28. I am sure I could finish it (I could have that day, I bet) but, 18 sounds good this year. I haven't been exercising enough; no where near as much as last year. I want a goal that is still a challenge but that I can rock. :)

artvandalay
02-14-2012, 09:54 AM
I have an 18 mile challenge hike in June. I am toying with the 36 mile version because I tried last year and only made it to mile 28..

Wow! No wonder you need a Camelback ;). What kind of terrain is this?

Twoboos
02-14-2012, 09:54 AM
TwoBoos, have you looked into C25K for your training?

Yah, I did it a couple of years ago before my first 5k (actually this race!) and then again before the one I did in June, started about halfway through.

I am trying to decide if I should be hitting the gym (mainly for spinning and yoga for stretching) to try to get my stamina back up or just go straight to the halfway point of C25K.

Why I decide to start this the week before Feb vaca, when I won't be able to do ANYTHING, is beyond me... :duh:

LarsMal
02-17-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm supposed to do a five miler on March 10th, but I haven't registered yet- oops! It's just a local race so I can sign up on the morning of. Not sure what else I'm doing between now and October, but I'll be doing the Army 10 Miler in October again. Trying to get up the nerve to do a 1/2 marathon. Yikes!

firstbaby
02-21-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm doing a half marathon on 5/20. I'm following a pretty demanding training schedule, but hoping it will pay off in my finish time :). My last half time was 2:12 and I would really like to improve!

babybell
02-21-2012, 10:06 PM
I am running my first race ever on 3/11, a half marathon. I can do it!!

Penny's Pappa
02-21-2012, 10:15 PM
A bunch of us from work are running a Warrior Dash on June 3rd. It's a 5K mixed with mud, hills, and obstacles! It's going to be a blast!

SnuggleBuggles
02-21-2012, 10:33 PM
A bunch of us from work are running a Warrior Dash on June 3rd. It's a 5K mixed with mud, hills, and obstacles! It's going to be a blast!

Mind your ankles in the mud! Something I read talked about ankle injuries in there. Looks like fun though! I'm signing up for one next summer, I think!

SnuggleBuggles
02-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Wow! No wonder you need a Camelback ;). What kind of terrain is this?

Hilly. There are several hills that are in sections where they clear cut for power lines. I swear they aren't meant for foot traffic! This year I am taking trekking poles as it was just scary last year trying to get down some of the hills (and they should make up easier too!). I lost a lot of time as I let people in front of me so I wouldn't slow them down as I tediously inched down the hills. Looking forward to it. Even 18 miles, 6 hours, will be pretty good.

kboyle
02-23-2012, 07:59 PM
i'm on wk 3/day3 of my c25k and have signed up for a Cinco de Mayo 5k, i may try for another one before that, but not sure what we have coming up :)

BabbyO
02-24-2012, 11:50 AM
I have a half marathon scheduled for May 5. Toying with doing the full marathon in Chicago in October.

I should start running again.

BabbyO
02-24-2012, 11:54 AM
If you have a road race or other event coming up, post your date here!

I am running a 5k on April 15. Which means I REALLY need to start training. I have been walking and doing a little running on the treadmill, but I think I'm getting shin splints!! EEK!

Twoboos, have you done toe taps? They always help me if I feel shin splints coming on.

hellokitty
02-24-2012, 01:10 PM
I plan to do some 5k's this spring and summer and am hoping to reach a goal of doing a 10K by this fall. A bunch of friends from my stroller class are doing a half marathon together in may and I just don't feel ready yet, esp since I'm pretty much a penguin and they run like gazelles. Maybe my goal for 2013 will be a half marathon.

westgre
03-06-2012, 11:56 PM
I just finished the Disney Princess Half on Feb. 26. I have the Komen 5K in May, Hatfield-McCoy half in June, Parkersburg Half in August, 5K in Sept, Marshall half in Nov, and the Disney half & full (Goofy) in January 2013.

StantonHyde
03-09-2012, 06:31 PM
First triathlon of the season is on May 18--Women of Steel. Then I have 3 more.

My backpacking trip starts April 22 and I have to be in shape for that too!

I need a challenge/to be a little scared to keep me in shape. And I totally have to have an off season plan for next year. I bombed out this fall and ended up gaining weight etc. This year I am adding weight lifting and speed work in addition to cardio. Let's see what the next months bring!

babybell
03-11-2012, 08:54 PM
I ran a half marathon this morning! I was hoping for under 2:30 and I got in at 2:27. My first race! It was exhilarating (and hilly!!!).

Twoboos
03-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Nice going Babybell! :cheerleader1:

My SIL ran the SD 1/2 marathon this morning, was that the one? That would be funny...

babybell
03-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Nice going Babybell! :cheerleader1:

My SIL ran the SD 1/2 marathon this morning, was that the one? That would be funny...

Thanks! Nope, this was in NY!

Twoboos
04-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Well, ran my 5k this morning. I never felt like my training was going well, I always ended up walking for at least 20-30 seconds (and usually more) once or twice during the runs. (My goal is always do the race WITHOUT walking.) Even on Friday, I slogged through week 8 of c25k and had to walk briefly. I did NOT have high expectations for this race.

And then - I ran it in 30:19!! I have no idea how that happened. The place was a mob scene, 6000 runners, a lot of very young runners (min age is 10, and there were lots) and even blindfolded runners with partners doing something about blindness awareness. I probably ran a 6k in total with trying to get around everyone, LOL.

I am so excited!! I cannot believe I ran it so fast, this is like 2min faster than my previous times. WOO-HOO! :yay:

Hope everyone else's training is going well!!!

hellokitty
04-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Well, ran my 5k this morning. I never felt like my training was going well, I always ended up walking for at least 20-30 seconds (and usually more) once or twice during the runs. (My goal is always do the race WITHOUT walking.) Even on Friday, I slogged through week 8 of c25k and had to walk briefly. I did NOT have high expectations for this race.

And then - I ran it in 30:19!! I have no idea how that happened. The place was a mob scene, 6000 runners, a lot of very young runners (min age is 10, and there were lots) and even blindfolded runners with partners doing something about blindness awareness. I probably ran a 6k in total with trying to get around everyone, LOL.

I am so excited!! I cannot believe I ran it so fast, this is like 2min faster than my previous times. WOO-HOO! :yay:

Hope everyone else's training is going well!!!

WTG! I ran my first 5K of the season. I've been really having a hard time this yr trying to run as fast as I did last yr, so while I did way better than I thought I would, I was still a minute more than my personal best. Anyway, my goal is to run it in 30 min, today's weather was frickin freezing, 39 degrees, I am not used to running in the cold and even though I underdressed, I still had to peel off a layer mid-way up the ginormous hill (last mile, ugh!). Anyway, I am glad it is over with, so I can move on over my anxiety about doing badly (I have been training for over a month and a half and just been having all sorts of issues, PF, knee and hip pain too), I did better than I thought and it felt good to finish. The bad thing though is my left knee is killing me right now. I tried the knee bands and they aren't helping.