PDA

View Full Version : after all this time, finally outgrowing the 5-point

stillplayswithbarbies
02-14-2012, 03:46 PM
My soon-to-be nine-year-old is about 55" and 55 pounds. She has been in a Safeguard child seat for a long time. (NOT the Go, the big one)

She is about at the top of the shoulder slots, and she is complaining about the crotch strap, so I have to face the inevitable and move her to a booster full time. (is she the oldest 5-point harnessed kid you have heard of? LOL)

She rides in an older Parkway and a Turbobooster sometimes. We also have a Frontier in our second car that we will convert to a booster now. We also have a Harmony Literider backless booster for travel or emergencies.

What is the best, top-of-the line booster seat now? I prefer LATCH so we don't have to buckle it in when it is empty. It needs to be comfortable so she will sit up straight and keep her bum back and not slouch. And what is a good reasonably priced choice?

this would be in a 2004 Toyota Sienna second row captain chair. We take long multi-day trips a few times a year, so I want this to be something comfortable.

essnce629
02-14-2012, 04:39 PM
My DS1 is 8 years and 6 months and still rides harnessed in his Frontier 85 in our main car. He is about 53" and 63lbs.

For a full time booster he loves his Sunshine Kids (now Diono) Monterey. DS1 uses it for carpool. It's the second tallest booster on the market (Frontier is the tallest) and has adjustable sidewings as well that can be made narrower or wider (DS1 has broad shoulders so this is great). He says it's very comfortable. It also has LATCH, cupholders that fold out, and it turns into a backless booster (which is how he uses it for summer camp).

This is the one we have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OL1IHW

And this is the slightly redesigned one that is now called the Diono Monterey. They redesigned the shoulder belt guides so they can fit kids who are narrower in the shoulders better. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00623QY1S

HIU8
02-14-2012, 05:42 PM
We also have the monterey (but got a SK version on deep discount several months ago). DS is 7 and this is his main seat my car. I and he are more than pleased with it. DS is 57 lbs and 50 inches.

smiles33
02-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Can you bring her to a store to try them out in person? I brought my DD1 to test some boosters out and she loved the Parkway SGL, which can be latched in.

She's not in it full-time, as I prefer her to be harnessed longer as she's not yet 6. However, I needed an easy-to-install/easy-to-remove option for MIL (she picks up DD1 twice/week but uses her SUV for weekly football game tailgate parties). We love Britax to begin with, so I'm probably biased toward the brand but DD1 also preferred this over the other boosters we tried at BRU.

mom2binsd
02-14-2012, 10:59 PM
My soon-to-be nine-year-old is about 55" and 55 pounds. She has been in a Safeguard child seat for a long time. (NOT the Go, the big one)

She is about at the top of the shoulder slots, and she is complaining about the crotch strap, so I have to face the inevitable and move her to a booster full time. (is she the oldest 5-point harnessed kid you have heard of? LOL)

She rides in an older Parkway and a Turbobooster sometimes. We also have a Frontier in our second car that we will convert to a booster now. We also have a Harmony Literider backless booster for travel or emergencies.

What is the best, top-of-the line booster seat now? I prefer LATCH so we don't have to buckle it in when it is empty. It needs to be comfortable so she will sit up straight and keep her bum back and not slouch. And what is a good reasonably priced choice?

this would be in a 2004 Toyota Sienna second row captain chair. We take long multi-day trips a few times a year, so I want this to be something comfortable.

I also have a 8.5 year old (9 in June) harnessed in a Regent, just moved to a booster in one car and her BFF is also harnessed in a Frontier at the same age...I'd say the Parkway is a good bet for you to latch in and be comfy. We tried the Monterey, but it was too wide for my skinny kiddo.

Joolsplus2
02-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Jeeesh, now I feel all bad my 6 yo spends so much time in boosters :p

Anyway, yeah, Parkway or Monterey are really the best right now, I'd say Kiddy if they are released today when they promised, but the price will be higher and honestly no one has one yet for real life tryouts (though I intend to soon :ROTFLMAO:)

justlearning
02-15-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm just curious...what is the problem with your daughter using your older style Parkway? Does she complain about it? I have three older style Parkways as well as a high-back Turbobooster and a car filled with 9-year-olds (when driving carpool), and none of them complain about the carseats. Like you, I also have a 2004 Toyota Sienna and the seats are used in both rows.

My DS1 prefers the Parkway because it's more cushioned and he likes the sidewings because it helps support his head if he falls asleep on longer trips. (Our longest trips are 6 hours, though, so we do differ from you there.)

I don't know about the latest and greatest carseats and I'm sure that the seats recommended in this thread are wonderful, but I was just curious why your current carseat situation won't work for her.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-15-2012, 11:57 AM
The Parkway does work for her and she will ride in that in our second car (2004 Honda Accord).

For the main car, I want a booster with LATCH. I am certain that daddy doesn't buckle the seatbelt around her empty booster when she isn't in his car like he is supposed to. But hey, that's his own neck he is risking there. But in the van where there is more room for things to fly around in a crash, I want to be sure her booster stays secure. (and I know I wouldn't buckle the seatbelt every time she gets out either although she could probably be responsible for that herself)

When do Parkways expire? Ours is probably 6 years old by now.

Another reason for a new seat is so we always have an extra at home for emergencies in case someone else has to pick her up at school, or to use for (rare) carpools.

and another reason is that I like shopping for "baby" gear and this is about my last chance to research something and then find a good deal. :) Everything gets handed down to Younger Daughter so no fun shopping anymore. :)

and also because there are some cool looking boosters out there now and it will be fun to get rid of the boring hulk of beige Safeguard (that I got a great deal on back then!) and put something fun in there.

justlearning
02-15-2012, 12:07 PM
The Parkway does work for her and she will ride in that in our second car (2004 Honda Accord).

For the main car, I want a booster with LATCH. I am certain that daddy doesn't buckle the seatbelt around her empty booster when she isn't in his car like he is supposed to. But hey, that's his own neck he is risking there. But in the van where there is more room for things to fly around in a crash, I want to be sure her booster stays secure. (and I know I wouldn't buckle the seatbelt every time she gets out either although she could probably be responsible for that herself)

When do Parkways expire? Ours is probably 6 years old by now.

Another reason for a new seat is so we always have an extra at home for emergencies in case someone else has to pick her up at school, or to use for (rare) carpools.

and another reason is that I like shopping for "baby" gear and this is about my last chance to research something and then find a good deal. :) Everything gets handed down to Younger Daughter so no fun shopping anymore. :)

and also because there are some cool looking boosters out there now and it will be fun to get rid of the boring hulk of beige Safeguard (that I got a great deal on back then!) and put something fun in there.

Got it! We have Turboboosters in DH's truck so we're loaded with carseats in both cars already! :) But your post has me thinking, so I'm going to post a s/o thread now...

smiles33
02-15-2012, 12:32 PM
I believe Parkways expire in 6 years, as i thought only the Frontier goes to 9. I haven't seen deals on thr SGL (the standard SG doesn't have LATCH) so I paid about $117 on Amazon.

Good luck finding a deal on the new booster!

legaleagle
02-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Wayfair has some clearance SGL in livia for $112.

http://www.wayfair.com/Britax-Parkway-SGL-Booster-Car-Seat-in-Livia-E9LD22S-BRX1294.html?clearance=true

They will tell you when checking out that these are returns, but since there are 3 in stock right now, I'm guessing they're actually overstock.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Wayfair has some clearance SGL in livia for $112.

http://www.wayfair.com/Britax-Parkway-SGL-Booster-Car-Seat-in-Livia-E9LD22S-BRX1294.html?clearance=true

They will tell you when checking out that these are returns, but since there are 3 in stock right now, I'm guessing they're actually overstock.

It's only $117 on Amazon with Prime.

legaleagle
02-15-2012, 04:55 PM
It's only $117 on Amazon with Prime.

Oh, I thought PP said it was $117 for the non SGL version! Not that I have any reason to be shopping for a booster, much less a pink one.

hellbennt
02-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks for this thread! Ds1 is 8 (9 in July) & still in Regent...

smiles33
02-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Oh, I thought PP said it was $117 for the non SGL version! Not that I have any reason to be shopping for a booster, much less a pink one.

Sorry my post was confusing. I meant that there were no sales on the SGL so the lowest price I could find was Amazon's normal price.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-22-2012, 11:45 AM
coming back to update this. We are still in 5-point in the main vehicle.:cheerleader1:

I moved the Frontier crotch strap out to the farthest position and she says it is comfortable, and she is still just barely under the top slots, so 5-point it is. We moved the Frontier to the Sienna, and the Parkway to the Honda Accord. She says she feels safer in the 5-point.

I doubt that she is the only 9 year old still harnessed?

I need to check the expiration on the Parkway. And I am now watching for deals on booster seats so we can be ready for the next step, but now we have time to go shopping and try some out in person.

by the way, Little Sister is 3 and a half and is rear-facing in a Combi Coccoro in the Honda and a Radian XTSL in the Sienna. She'll be rear-facing a long time, she's a tiny sprite.