PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Find a (fairly formal) Dress

AustenFan
02-14-2012, 08:15 PM
DH just told me that the faculty dinner we're going to on Saturday is "black tie optional." I'd been thinking things are so casual out here in SoCal that I could wear an old Ann Taylor Loft skirt and sandals, which is all I've fit into while nursing these past 10 months. Now all of a sudden, I need to wear something a lot more formal! DH is wearing a dark suit, not a tux, so I don't think I have to go full length. I have two "summer wedding" dresses that I think are too summery and maybe too casual, but that's it. Seriously, I've been nursing or pregnant for every dressy event since college, so I just don't own nice evening wear anymore.

This week is so busy that I won't have a chance to go shopping until Saturday morning. We have most of the major stores at our mall. But I want to have some ideas before I go.

Please help! I'm pretty traditional in taste and am still pretty top-heavy from nursing, so I can't pull off a strapless or slinky look.:) Suggestions, stores, any advice? TIA!

sariana
02-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Since your time is limited and you can't shop until the day of the event, I would suggest using a personal shopping service from Nordstrom or another major store. If you can talk to someone ahead of time, and that person can have some choices already picked out for you, you will save time looking. You can describe your exact needs.

Then again, I've never used one of those services. I just assume that is how it works.

erosenst
02-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Suggest you look online at Nordstrom, and order several you think might work. Read the comments - they will tell you if they run small in the bust.

A few advantages - for not a lot of $ you can have express delivery...and the selection is MUCH larger than in stores. Returns can be made either at a store, or shipped back free.

Express delivery isn't cheap - but your time and stress are worth a lot.

katydid1971
02-14-2012, 11:35 PM
I have a dress that is similar to this that is super flattering and can be dressed up or down with accessories.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/adrianna-papell-pleated-jersey-sheath-dress/3056851?origin=category&resultback=0
I like this one too
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/maggy-london-illusion-back-pleated-matte-jersey-dress/3000163?origin=category&resultback=228

AustenFan
02-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks, you guys! You have convinced me to try Nordstrom first!

I hadn't really considered the personal shopper thing because my MIL is going to be in town and will definitely want to come along to help me shop. The problem is she is petite and Italian and loves trends and bright colors (she wore hot pink with shoes and purse dyed to match to our wedding), and I am taller and conservative about color and styles. I'm happy to let her come along since I know she loves being my personal shopper, but I have to have a good idea of what I want or else I get talked into trying on 20 things that are just not me!

katydid1971, I actually love both of those dresses, too! Very Princess Kate.:) I'm going to see if they have them in store.