PDA

View Full Version : Is there any reason not to get a facial while pregnant?

BabyBearsMom
02-16-2012, 04:48 PM
DH and I are going away for a few days (:cheerleader1:) and I would like to schedule a few spa appointments while we are away to relax and refresh. I'm doing a prenatal massage one day. Is it okay to do a facial or is that a no-no? I could do a mani-pedi, but I hate paying for a spa mani-pedi when I can do it at my local place for super cheap.

DebbieJ
02-16-2012, 05:50 PM
I see no reason to avoid one. It might be uncomfortable sitting there that long, though.

elektra
02-16-2012, 05:53 PM
I think the only thing would be not laying flat on your back. I think I got a facial while pregnant and I asked to be elevated a bit.

mikala
02-16-2012, 05:55 PM
I think it's fine but would avoid any treatment style facials where they apply lots of chemicals via product.

If you haven't been to the spa before I'd call and ask whether they usually do facials sitting or laying down. My favorite spa usually does them laying down on your back but can book a chair if you request it.

BDKmom
02-16-2012, 05:57 PM
I think it's fine but would avoid any treatment style facials where they apply lots of chemicals via product.

:yeahthat: You skin can be more sensitive during pregnancy, so I would speak to them in advance to make sure they aren't using any peels or harsh scrubs or anything. Otherwise, I think it should be fine. Sounds like fun!

TwinFoxes
02-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Also I think some essential oils are forbidden during pregnancy. That sounds like something Latia (Essence) might know about.

artvandalay
02-16-2012, 06:13 PM
I can't think of any reason. The only skin products to avoid during pregnancy (AFAIK) are BHA's and retioid/retin-A type products, and I don't see them using either of those during a facial. I would just make sure they know you are pg (just in case) and to not use any sort of salicylic products.

pinay
02-16-2012, 06:52 PM
I just got a facial on Monday and let my esthetician know I'm pregnant, it was completely fine. She didn't use anything harsh on my face and it was very relaxing- I'm planning on going in again in a couple of weeks since I want to wait until I'm at least in my 2nd trimester before scheduling a prenatal massage and I still want some pampering :)

edurnemk
02-16-2012, 07:16 PM
My OB allowed me to get facials, I just tell them I'm PG and they know what they can and can't use for PG women.

Maybe just avoid laying on your back the whole time if you're on the second half of your pregnancy.

wellyes
02-16-2012, 07:27 PM
I remember reading something about avoiding microdermabrasion.

amldaley
02-16-2012, 08:02 PM
In addition to avoiding certain essential oils and microdermabrasion as pp's have mentioned, be sure to ask that no products be used that contain salycilic acid. It is a very common ingredient in facial products, high end moisturizers, etc.