PDA

View Full Version : what does baby need at hospital?

hillaryb
02-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Feeling like a newbie...

With DD, the NICU provided everything she needed, diapers, paci, blankets, hat, even clothing (cause what first time mom buys preemie clothing just in case?)

DS will be born at a differnt hopsital, and hopefully not need a NICU stay. When I called to ask what I needed to bring/provide for him, the nurse said, "Oh just bring everything you think you'll need." Ah, that's why I called... :6:

So, any suggestions? TIA!

amldaley
02-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Our hospital provided everything until we prepared DD1 for check out. Then I needed diaper, wipes and her going home outfit, a blanket and I had to bring her car seat inside to prove we had one.

BDKmom
02-17-2012, 03:03 PM
With DS, I brought a couple of outfits, blankets, and hats. The hospital provided blanket, tshirt, hat, diapers, paci. I put our hat on him b/c hospital one was too big, and changed him into an outfit from home the second day. Only used our blanket as a background to lay him on when the photographer took his picture.

I don't really think you will need much unless you don't like what the hospital provides.

ETA: Of course, you will need going home stuff.

daisymommy
02-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Yes, the PP included all that you will need, and a hat too if the weather is still cool. But thats about it!

BabyBearsMom
02-17-2012, 03:22 PM
While we were at the hospital they provided diapers, wipes, a long sleeved t-shirt for the baby to wear, a hat, paci and swaddling blankets. If you want to bottle feed instead of breast feed, they also provided bottles of formula. We only needed an outfit to take the baby home in and a car seat. It wasn't cold when we left the hospital, so I didn't need to put anything over the baby in the car seat.

hillaryb
02-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks all for the quick replies. I think I'll pack 1-2 outfits and a hat, and DH can bring the car seat/blanket later, of course.

Note: need to buy diapers. (Ugh, seems like we just stopped buying them!)

BayGirl2
02-17-2012, 07:25 PM
We only needed a going home outfit and carseat.

I brought extra cute outfits for them to wear in the hospital. Our hospital takes newborn pics so its nice to have an outfit to put them in. DS's were awful but DD's came out so well I almost bought them. Just seeing how cute she looked in a little outfit made me happy.

llama8
02-17-2012, 07:59 PM
my hospital provided everything. I just needed a going home outfit and the carseat.

Jenn850
02-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Our hospital provided everything, so we only needed the outfit to bring home and the car seat of course. BUT they do take pictures, so I had something to put on baby for a picture, although I don't think they ended up cute enough to buy. We used the professional to get us to dress up baby and take our own.

edurnemk
02-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Our hospital provided everything until we prepared DD1 for check out. Then I needed diaper, wipes and her going home outfit, a blanket and I had to bring her car seat inside to prove we had one.

:yeahthat:

citymama
02-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Going home outfit (buy one-piece, and smaller than you think you'll need IME!), including hat and socks if it is two piece. Car seat to go home.

While in the hosp, they provide dipes, wipes, clothes, blankets. I took along a NB one piece outfit for her to wear in the hospital but we didn't get around to using it. Couldn't hurt to carry one in case you hate their onesies. Nursing pillow and nursing friendly robe for you and nursing supplies like Soothies and soft nursing pads which not all hospitals have. They usually do have breast pumps if you need one.

AngelaS
02-18-2012, 12:23 PM
I dressed my babies in sweet little gowns and preemie outfits in the hospital. I hated those tee shirts that said "Property of X hospital" on them. It's MY baby, dangit! LOL

barkley1
02-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Our hospital did not provide wipes, so I took them so the nurses wouldn't use rough washcloths on dc's bums.