PDA

View Full Version : has anyone just used flannel for cloth wipes?

AnnieW625
02-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Alrighty ladies I think you guys (as well as Diaper Swappers) are making me think twice that maybe I should be using cloth wipes. DD2 has been squinting every AM when she is awake and needs a diaper change because the wipes are cold (DD1 was never bothered by this). I have secured a free wipes warmer from someone on my mommy group message board, but now I am thinking that maybe I should just try some cloth wipes also because the regular wipes are clogging up our Diaper Champ (I usually just put the non poopy ones in the trash can in the bathroom).

We are starting c/d full time with daycare on Tuesday so I am going to have an extra load of diapers and if I am washing already I might as well just wash wipes as well.

I have a sewing machine too so I could finish the edges, but honestly I am fine with unfinished edges and want to do this as cheaply as possible unless the name brand flannel or cloth wipes really make a difference.

twowhat?
02-17-2012, 03:12 PM
I used cotton flannel wipes and liked them. Especially the thinner flannel that lets you, er, get into all the folds to be sure all the poop is wiped out. I also had some double-layered wipes (flannel on one side, terry on the other) that some people like because the terry grabs onto poop better, but I rarely used them - too thick to clean out little girl parts thoroughly!

And I totally think you could make them yourself with cotton flannel.

I loved the combo of cotton flannel cloth wipes and a bulb syringe filled with warm water for a poopy butt (and I often used some baby shampoo in a foam pump bottle too for poop). For pee I would just pat dry with a cloth wipe and leave it alone - too much rubbing with cloth wipes can irritate the skin (as opposed to disposable wipes which have a slicker, smoother surface that glides more easily over skin).

daisymommy
02-17-2012, 03:32 PM
I know some people do, but I personally would really dislike a single layer of flannel. Just too flimsy IMO. I prefer a double layer of fabric, or a thicker fabric. All my wipes are flannel+sherpa, or velour+sherpa, something like that.

One budget idea that many people do is to buy a few packs of cheap baby washcloths from a discount store. That should work fine.

Melaine
02-17-2012, 03:37 PM
I've heard people use the baby washcloths from the Dollar Tree...they are 4 for $1. I was planning on sewing them but I haven't come across any cheap flannel yet. I think I would want them double layered though.

MommyAllison
02-17-2012, 03:47 PM
I have some single layer flannel that came as freebies with diaper orders, but I always end up avoiding them. I much prefer the thicker, larger sherpa/velour wipes. I feel like w/the single layer flannel, I can only get one good swipe with them, whereas with the sherpa/velour wipes, I can wipe two or three times because you have more surface area and the fabric doesn't stick together like thin flannel. I can easily get DD2 totally cleaned off with 1 cloth wipe after a poopy diaper, and then use one more just to double check all of the rolls and creases. I order mine from www.hyenacart.com/smallwonderswipes for $1/wipe.

AnnieW625
02-17-2012, 04:17 PM
For pee I would just pat dry with a cloth wipe and leave it alone - too much rubbing with cloth wipes can irritate the skin (as opposed to disposable wipes which have a slicker, smoother surface that glides more easily over skin).

For pee only I will just use a regular 'sposie wipe and throw it in the trash. I will probably keep the 'sposie wipes in the warmer. I am thinking I would use the cloth wipes for poop mainly unless I really do fall in love with the cloth wipes (but we have oodles of 'sposie wipes already). If we are out I can honestly see myself using cloth wipes more than sposie wipes if we are using cloth diapers because I can just put the wipe in the wetbag, and cloth wipes and a small spray bottle will still take up less room than sposie wipes (which I am always forgetting when we are out anyway and have to use wet TP anyway).

I think I will start off with a yard of flannel and I'll try sewing two or three layers together and see how that goes.

hellokitty
02-17-2012, 04:24 PM
I tried all different sorts of cloth wipe options and fabrics and in the end, the terry cloth washclothes (ie: you can find these at places like walmart, meijer, target, usually it's like a bundle of 16 for $5) to work out the best for us. The reason is the poo. Yes, the flannel and some of the other really soft fabrics, just smear the poo around, instead of clinging to it. The terry washclothes are first of all, more grippy due to texture and second, they are BIG enough to really get at it, vs. some of the wipes that were just IMO too small.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-18-2012, 07:04 PM
I know some people do, but I personally would really dislike a single layer of flannel. Just too flimsy IMO. I prefer a double layer of fabric, or a thicker fabric. All my wipes are flannel+sherpa, or velour+sherpa, something like that.

One budget idea that many people do is to buy a few packs of cheap baby washcloths from a discount store. That should work fine.

:yeahthat:

by far, my favorite cloth wipes are velour/sherpa...then velour/velour. very soft, and they get the poo off. i do have flannel and sherpa, and they're ok too.. but i'm not a fan of those as much bc flannel pills as soon as you wash it, and it's not as soft. i think if you double up a few layers it may be ok though...as daisymommy said i think a single layer of flannel would be too flimsy.

the good thing about flannel though is all the cute prints that are available. :) my DS loves looking at the zoo animal/monkey ones as i'm changing him.