PDA

View Full Version : I have lost the jean love...

kaitlyns.mom
02-17-2012, 05:38 PM
I think I am going to have to rethink my wardrobe. I have five pairs of jeans. Two pair are skinnies and they give me muffin top and in general are not flattering. One pair is nice enough but has to be worn with heels, and as a SAHM to two I am rarely in heels. Another pair is WAY too long and too snug. The last pair is too short :rolleyes: and the wash is dated. Actually all of them give me muffin top.

So aside from working out and overall losing weight, I am thinking of investing in some other pants aside from jeans. Yoga pants? Cords? It's almost spring... maybe give up on pants altogether and try to focus on skirts and casual dresses?

Anyone else close to giving up on jeans?

abh5e8
02-17-2012, 05:44 PM
i think that sounds like a good idea...give yourself the spring/summer off, and find 1 (or 2) pair of awesome jeans come fall?

i have 1 pair that are skinny, with stirups that i cut off, so they are great under boots. then i have 1 short pair that is ok with flats. all the rest...don't fit. i'm trying to decide the same thing...do i buy a pair i can wear with clogs (or low heels) or just pass, and wait for the fall. still undecided here...so i guess not much help, eh.

kaitlyns.mom
02-17-2012, 05:46 PM
i think that sounds like a good idea...give yourself the spring/summer off, and find 1 (or 2) pair of awesome jeans come fall?

i have 1 pair that are skinny, with stirups that i cut off, so they are great under boots. then i have 1 short pair that is ok with flats. all the rest...don't fit. i'm trying to decide the same thing...do i buy a pair i can wear with clogs (or low heels) or just pass, and wait for the fall. still undecided here...so i guess not much help, eh.

Do you usually wear them in the spring/summer? I do. With a tank top or a short-sleeved shirt. But taking those two seasons off sounds like a great idea.

SnuggleBuggles
02-17-2012, 06:00 PM
I live in dresses and skirts as much as I can. Love summer!! Yoga pants for day to day wear...not so much. I'll wear them out and about if I am going to workout but I couldn't see myself wearing them just because. You could do the skirts or dresses and tights now; no need to wait for warm weather!

infomama
02-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Two words...Athleta Bettona.

DrSally
02-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Ypu need to get a mid-rise jean with the proper length in a dark wash. It makes all the difference. I'd give away or consign the ones that don't work for you and start from scratch. Finding well fitting jeans is tough! What's your body type?

Eta: i love summer too for skirts and dresses, and bare legs. But, we're got a long way to go here before I can break those out.

new_mommy25
02-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Give away what you don't love. No sense them taking up valuable real estate in your closet. I have a hard time with jeans too so I total understand your pain. I have found that bootcuts are the most flattering so I stick with those. Skinnies do nothing for my body type. Definitely go with the dresses or skirts! I have switched almost entirely over and they are so much more flattering. Nordstrom Rack is a great place to start.

kaitlyns.mom
02-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Two words...Athleta Bettona.
You mentioned these to me before and I looked and then didn't buy because of the price. But now I am seriously tempted!! Do you have the classic or the boyfriend?

Ypu need to get a mid-rise jean with the proper length in a dark wash. It makes all the difference. I'd give away or consign the ones that don't work for you and start from scratch. Finding well fitting jeans is tough! What's your body type?

Eta: i love summer too for skirts and dresses, and bare legs. But, we're got a long way to go here before I can break those out.

Hmmm not sure of my body type. Maybe pear? I'm 5' 7", 152 lbs., stomach pooch, not a large butt and my thighs are bigger than I would like. :rotflmao:

Give away what you don't love. No sense them taking up valuable real estate in your closet. I have a hard time with jeans too so I total understand your pain. I have found that bootcuts are the most flattering so I stick with those. Skinnies do nothing for my body type. Definitely go with the dresses or skirts! I have switched almost entirely over and they are so much more flattering. Nordstrom Rack is a great place to start.

Yes, I think bootcuts have to be it for me! But can I wear them with my Simple sneakers or flats? I am running errands or playing with the kids most days.

Luckily we have a Nordstrom Rack down the block. :boogie:

AnnieW625
02-17-2012, 07:20 PM
If Athleta and Lululemon are out of your price range I highly recommend the Kirkland Signature workout pants. I swear they are Lululemons. The fabric feels the same, the colors are similar and they have the exact same laundry tag. I was going to ask for Lululemons for Christmas, but ended up getting two pairs of these instead. I love them! They are $19 IIRC.

DrSally
02-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Stacey and Clinton usually recommend a straight leg jean ( not tapered), but i think a moderate bootcut can look good too. I really think the important part is the rise. I found a pair of Paige Hidden Hills jeans at NR. They have a mid rise, bootcut, and dark wash. The double buttons help with the cinching effect too. I have also taken to wearing an invisibelt. Jag and Worn are also brands that can be found at NR that have a good midrise.

Dresses are great, and I wpuldn't hesitate to add more of those, but i'd keep looking for a pair of jeans that fits you well. I totally wear bootcuts w/ flats/ converse. Just make sure they're the right length. If i have longer jeans, i usually wear them w/boots, clogs, or wedges, as heels are not my thing.

infomama
02-17-2012, 08:35 PM
I have to classic Bettona classic. I like the jeggings a lot.

kozachka
02-18-2012, 12:55 AM
You need to get a pair (or two) of higher rise dark wash jeans in correct size. If jeans are too long, but otherwise fit fine, have them hemmed. NR would charge you $14 extra for that for jeans bought at the store (or Nordstrom), in my area a tailor/dry cleaners charge $20-$25 depending on whether you want to keep the original hem or not.

Let me be bluntly honest - if you have large thighs, they will look even worse in yoga pants. Skirts that A-line shaped are much better for covering those up. Muffin top results from too low of a rise in too small for you size waist band, not because you are wearing denim or cords.

daisysmom
02-20-2012, 12:31 PM
I think it depends on where you live. I live in southern Virginia, and I think we are soon to be in skirt weather. I live in Boden skirts spring winter and fall. I like my jeans (I think I have J brand) but I don't wear them during the summer, it is too hot. Then I live in my capris too.

I am about the same size as you, maybe 5 lbs less, and I WOTH but I dress as casually as I want at work. I love my yoga pants but I wear them after work and try to do capris or cotton skirts at work.

If I were you, I would give your jeans a rest... donate the out of style ones and put the other ones into a different closet and try them again in the fall and see if your body has shifted enough and if not, go shopping. Until then, depending on where you live, maybe you just have 2 weeks of cold left.

MissyL11
02-20-2012, 12:55 PM
I have the same issue with the muffin top and skinny jeans. I found these jeans and love them. They smooth out my mid section and do not fall down. They are so comfortable.

http://www.zappos.com/jag-jeans-paley-pull-on-boot-in-indigo-rinse-indigo-rinse

baileygirl
02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
That is one reason I like Nordstrom for jeans...lots of choices and our store hems them for free.

ltmommy
02-20-2012, 05:02 PM
I agree that you might want to rethink the skinny jeans. I am short and have larger thighs, and I have one pair of skinny jeans that fit me properly (Lands End Ultrafit), but the fact is that they ONLY look decent when I am wearing my riding boots. I simply cannot pull off the skinny jeans and flats look, because of my body shape. This is a really hard style to pull off, unless you are trying to accentuate your already skinny legs (no judgements here - I myself am trying to diguise my legs and accentuate my smaller upper half!). But unless there are boots or a flare on the bottom to balance them out, skinny jeans just don't do it for me.

twowhat?
02-20-2012, 05:06 PM
I have the same issue with the muffin top and skinny jeans. I found these jeans and love them. They smooth out my mid section and do not fall down. They are so comfortable.

http://www.zappos.com/jag-jeans-paley-pull-on-boot-in-indigo-rinse-indigo-rinse

Whoa. I am so tempted. Those look so fabulously comfortable. I've been wondering whether I should buy a couple of good pair of maternity jeans because of my tummy pouch. I'm really skinny but the pouch makes it such that well-fitting jeans look great as long as I'm standing up (as long as the top is loose enough to cover the pouch that hangs over the waistband) but then when I sit down, the waistband cuts into my tummy uncomfortably. I also hate that I am always tucking my tummy skin back into my jeans because they're all low-rise.

I think I might have to try these out!!! And the price isn't bad!

eta: uhh, they only go down to a size 2 and reviewers say it runs large. I wear a size 0. Grrr. Size 0s can (and do) have muffin tops too...

artvandalay
02-20-2012, 06:11 PM
I totally want those Athleta jeans. Any clue if I should order a tall if I"m 5'8?

lizzywednesday
02-21-2012, 04:02 PM
I totally want those Athleta jeans. Any clue if I should order a tall if I"m 5'8?

What inseam do you prefer?

Regular inseam at Athleta is 33", like Gap and ON.
Tall inseam is 35".

I am also about your height (truthfully, I'm a quarter-inch shorter) and prefer a 34" or longer inseam for pants so I'd order the Tall.