PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your briefcase/business tote!

legaleagle
02-19-2012, 03:16 PM
As can probably be guessed by my SN, I'm a lawyer. However, I never go to court and only rarely to out of office meetings so I don't need a specific briefcase very often. I need it to be big enough for legal size file folders (14x9) so anything that's big enough for 15" macbook or widescreen laptop should work. I don't carry around a laptop or much of anything else, just the folders and a few pens/wallet etc. Anyone have any specific recommendations? Something classic/timeless would be good since lawyers are boring and I'll likely have this for years. I'd like to keep it under $150 if possible.

TIA!

nupe
02-20-2012, 10:42 AM
First of all, I don't recommend Tumi! The handle link to bag hardware looked sturdy on mine but it fell apart. Wasn't going to pay any more to see about mailing off for warranty etc. I had purchased a fabric (not leather) tumi becaue of weight, and I never had much in it beyond a laptop and a few journals/files, and within months the handle fell off.

I've had a Jack Georges 3 way zip from several years ago, but I think it is very tight to add anything to it if you are definitely carrying a laptop, and it doesn't stretch. I don't know about the dimensions nowadays as they could be different, this link says it holds a 15.4" screen. I like the sleek look of it. I like that it stands up almost on it's own. I usually lean it against a chair or the wall behind me if I'm in a meeting. I've seen it on sale before. THe only down side is that after a few years of use the handles are getting bendy where they fold over at the top of the bag, if that makes any sense.
http://www.jackgeorges.com/chelsea-5916-1201.html

I have a Timbuk2 Marina, so more sporty, in blue that is a trapezoid shaped bag, that stands up on its own. I love the organization on the front zip of that thing. I also like that it is very lightweight. It has 2 compartments. The "laptop compartment" probably too small for your files. The main copmartment accomodates 15". I'm thinking they don't make it anymore.
http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/Timbuk2-Marina-Laptop-Computer-Handbag/2283281/product.html

My alltime favorite bags for organization are ellington. NOt the inflight tote, I think that one is too heavy (empty) and has too many compartments and i forget where I put my sunglasses, etc. (Would have been nice when I was single.) E Verytime I fly I reach for my Ellington shoulder bag/carryon. Love it's organization, can't find a link. So wondering if any ellington bags would be large enough for you. I have the handbags in the glossy leather and they are gorgeous.
http://www.ellingtonhandbags.com/

I also like my elsapel laptop bag, but it's kind of fun with a print, and I think they have all been discontinued (by ellington).

Here's endless briefcases for women
http://www.endless.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_6/180-8263652-8775014/?onsale=&showDesigner=&keywords=briefcase+for+women&sprefix=briefc&x=0&y=0
ebags has a lot of choices too.
Levenger catalog has a lot of nice looking bags, but I've never tried them out. Figured they would be too heavy if leather.
I would also suggest visitng tjmaxx/marshalls.

I bought a synthetic purple one from the cambria cove sale and havne't used it yet. Just doesn't jump out at me.

I haven't been on the market recently so that's all I know now. Perhaps someone else will have some newer recs.

daisysmom
02-20-2012, 12:26 PM
I just bought a jane marvel bag when it was on rue la la, I got the overhead bag I think it was called. Will see if I can find a link.

I am also a lawyer. For my first 5 years or so, I did carry a coach briefcase. Now, 18 years into this "gig", I often carry a landsend tote. I look for functionality and they are great for walking from my car to the office and having all the files that I need (including ones for nonwork stuff, like preparing for taxes, kindergarten applications, etc.). I find myself flying though once a month and then I tend to cram everything into my rollaway suitcase, as I ususally am just doing overnight trips so I don't care that it is in there, and bringing just my purse for a second bag. As I am going cross country more and more, I grabbed the jane marvel one for that purpose. But in-town, I do the landsend totes.

ecofem
02-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Recovering lawyer here!

I now work for a Unversity, and am using a basic LandsEnd tote to carry all of my stuff in. Love the LE tote, but I was wanting something a little different. Today, I ordered a LandsEnd Canvas tote, which supposedly has an internal sleeve. Not sure how it will work out, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/canvas-1963-washed-tote~212474_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::AEZ&CM_MERCH=canvas-search-_-tote&origin=search

legaleagle
02-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will go check them out!

mjrwe
02-21-2012, 05:56 PM
the timbuk2 marina is not likely to work for you. I can barely fit my macbook into it. It's way to structured to carry all that you list.

I am very happy with the lululemon triumphant tote in black - not sure if it's too casual for you though. It can fit my macbook, ipad, a few inches of files, a waterbottle, and lots of other stuff without looking overstuffed.

Kindra178
02-23-2012, 12:11 PM
I am very happy with the lululemon triumphant tote in black - not sure if it's too casual for you though. It can fit my macbook, ipad, a few inches of files, a waterbottle, and lots of other stuff without looking overstuffed.

Is the Triumphant structured at all? Will fall over or does it stand upright? I carry an absurd amount of stuff to work, and have a solid walk on both sides of my train commute. Also, I don't care about casual as much as I care about holding a ton and looking somewhat presentable walking in and of out meetings.

OP, also check out the Skip Hop Studio Bag.

arivecchi
02-23-2012, 03:12 PM
I use a Skip Hop Studio bag for work. Works really well!

legaleagle
02-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Is the studio main pocket wide enough for 14" files? The skip hop website says it's 17" wide but I assume quite a bit of that is the bottle pockets on the side.

I actually ended up ordering a couple Piel totes from ebags since I had a 30% coupon but I'm not super impressed. Above my stated range but I just came across this gorgeous lodis tote (http://www.zappos.com/lodis-accessories-audrey-evelyn-tote-with-strap-black) and am very tempted.

Kindra178
02-24-2012, 10:01 AM
I just ordered a bunch of different bags as well, including a Lodis one. I know tons of working women who swear by them. From what I hear, they hold up really well after years of abuse. So even though that one is a little over what you wanted to spend, it may be worth it if you can keep it longer and if it is exactly what you are looking for. I also like Lodis Large Laptop Bag.

Also, have checked out www.kolobags.com? They have a great selection of bags. Finally, BR has a bag that may fit your needs. I ordered it yesterday:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=14421&vid=1&pid=429957&scid=429957002

Update:

The SH Studio can not really hold 14 inch redwelds but it's a fantastic bag otherwise. I have this one in the running:

http://www.zappos.com/lodis-accessories-williamsburg-vera-foldover-bag-black

It holds my 15 inch laptop OR my planetbox, but not both. It takes a gaggle of papers as well, but getting in a 14 inch redweld was tricky. No problem with a redweld upright (vertical) though.

mjrwe
02-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Kindra - I think it's kind of in between? Tote bag type shape but it will stand on it's own (more structure than say a canvas tote) however, it's definitely not a briefcase type shape if that's what you are looking for.

I have noticed a few others at meetings with the same bag. I work in politics/law out west where things are generally more casual regardless of profession so it totally works for me.

Today I have my padfolio, 2" of standard files, my 15" macbook, iPad, large wallet, business card case, large klean kanteen, cords, phone, workout DVDs I'm loaning to a co-worker, various small personal items, snacks, and I put a snaplock full of my lunch in the top and was still able to zip it. it's heavy but comfortable. I never use the cross body strap.