PDA

View Full Version : diaper bag for newborn + still diapering toddler?

lmh2402
02-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Going to need a new diaper bag with #2 coming, b/c my toddler still requires his own stuff when we go out – snacks, a few toys, diapering supplies (god help me) and change of clothes if we’re going to be out long enough

I had a Be All with just him, and to be honest, I didn’t love it.

Even with one kiddo, it felt too small – maybe I pack(ed) too much

And it was heavier than I would have liked

So…I thought I had heard from a few friends that the JJBs have actually gotten lighter…which would be nice. But I’m still a little unsure

What all do you wise mamas reco for a not-super-heavy bag that will be big enough for newborn and still diapering toddler?

Thanks!

AnnieW625
02-21-2012, 02:16 PM
I really like my Ju Ju Be Be Spicy (http://www.ebags.com/product/ju-ju-be/be-spicy/105602?productid=1278261) in Lotus Lullaby (and I usually can't stand prints on anything!). My girls are 4 yrs. apart, but I always found that I was always putting something for DD1 in there like a cup, sunglasses, a book for Church, or swim stuff so it ended up being a good size. If you want a more boxy style then look at the BFF style. I have not decided whether or not I am going to keep the bag once DD2 is out of diapers because it is really a nice bag that will work well for a child's overnight bag.

If you want lightweight and functional try the Eddie Bauer bag (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401256), it was not much to look at (ours was all black) as it is kind of more manly looking and not hip at all, but filled with stuff it is not heavy at all and it was lighter than the Ju Ju Be. It lasted through almost 4 yrs. of constant use with DD1. It looks like they have this newer model (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11838319) that might hold more than the original one we had.

Also Ebags is having a 25% off of one item sale today on any item over $99 and they have lots of other bags to chose from.

lmh2402
02-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the tip re: ebags, Annie

I took a few min to look at the JJBs on there, and I’m still concerned about the weight

The BePrepared is over 4lbs…empty

And the BeSpicy is 3+

I just imagine carrying a newborn and chasing/wrangling a toddler, I’m really going to want something light/that adds as little weight as possible

But…I’m not so into the EB bag…don’t want purely functional…I want “pretty” too

Does such a thing exist? Stylish? Big enough for two in diapers? Not too heavy?

BabbyO
02-21-2012, 03:44 PM
We got the Columbia Trekster when DS1 was a newborn and LOVE IT. Now we pack for both boys (2.5 yo and 5 mo) in it. Both are still wearing diapers. It is perfect for day trips. I can typically fit:
-6-8 Sz 3 diapes,
-3-4 size 5 dipes,
-2 changes of clothes for DS2
-a few small toys,
-a full pack of wipes,
-full size tube of A&D,
-a few nursing pads/sanitary pads for mom,
-meds if needed,
-a small container of snack crackers for DS1 (food allergy kiddo),
-a pair of pj's for DS1 (for when we're going to be out later and he'll fall asleep in the car on the way home)

We do keep spare diapers/clothes in each car, just in case we need more...but I've only had to use them on 1 occasion.

DH LOVES this bag because it doesn't look like a diaper bag. I love that I can carry it on my back and don't have a stupid diaper bag sliding down my arm while I'm trying to carry a baby and hold a toddler's hand.

We managed to get it on clearance at BRU for $30, but after using it I will say that it is worth every penny of the $60 that it normally retails for. I've gotten it as a gift for several people.

ETA: I just saw your note about pretty. I guess this doesn't qualify...but it is an AWESOME bag. I never notice the weight at all. Ship weight is 1.5 lbs...so light.

wallawala
02-21-2012, 03:57 PM
We have the JuJu Be Be Hip in grey
http://www.amazon.com/Ju-Be-Hip-Slate-Grey/dp/B00499CNWQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1329853871&sr=1-3

It's manly enough my DH carries it. But it does come in a wide number of the JJB patterns if you prefer. I bought it as it was washable. I was a total overpacker, and have changed my ways. I do use this for a 2.5yro and a newborn. I leave changes of clothes in the car, but could shove them in if i really thought we needed it that day.

I carry a Be Quick Diaper pouch with 3 dipes for each kid, plus wipes, and disposable diaper bags/TS purelle. I also throw in A contigo mug, toys, snacks, and a nursing cover. There is a small inner zip pocket I put my wallet and camera. My iPhone goes in a fuzzy lined outer zip pocket (hidden under flap). The two visible small snap outer pockets are where snacks go. There are bottle pockets on the seam x 2.

It's working well for the day to day. I might get a larger one, but so far we mainly do quick trips and the car is relatively close if I needed the clothes or more supplies.

If I just have the newborn, I throw the Be Quick diaper pouch in my purse with a nursing cover and go!

BabyBearsMom
02-21-2012, 04:28 PM
We got the Columbia Trekster when DS1 was a newborn and LOVE IT. Now we pack for both boys (2.5 yo and 5 mo) in it. Both are still wearing diapers. It is perfect for day trips. I can typically fit:
-6-8 Sz 3 diapes,
-3-4 size 5 dipes,
-2 changes of clothes for DS2
-a few small toys,
-a full pack of wipes,
-full size tube of A&D,
-a few nursing pads/sanitary pads for mom,
-meds if needed,
-a small container of snack crackers for DS1 (food allergy kiddo),
-a pair of pj's for DS1 (for when we're going to be out later and he'll fall asleep in the car on the way home)

We do keep spare diapers/clothes in each car, just in case we need more...but I've only had to use them on 1 occasion.

DH LOVES this bag because it doesn't look like a diaper bag. I love that I can carry it on my back and don't have a stupid diaper bag sliding down my arm while I'm trying to carry a baby and hold a toddler's hand.

We managed to get it on clearance at BRU for $30, but after using it I will say that it is worth every penny of the $60 that it normally retails for. I've gotten it as a gift for several people.

ETA: I just saw your note about pretty. I guess this doesn't qualify...but it is an AWESOME bag. I never notice the weight at all. Ship weight is 1.5 lbs...so light.

We have this bag for DD1 now and I plan to keep using it once DD2 gets here. Right now it has a full sized container of wipes, 7 or 8 size 5 diapers, a potty seat, a sippy cup, an emergency juice box, snacks, a few small travel coloring books, a tiny diner, and a change of clothes. There is still space in the bag for when DD2 gets here. I will probably carry fewer diapers for DD1 so I can fit DD2's diapers in, add a change of clothes for DD2 and a bottle/formula packet, and a burp rag and that is it.

I love this bag because since it is on my back, it isn't in the way when I run after DD1.

lmh2402
02-21-2012, 04:40 PM
thanks, ladies

the more I’m thinking about it, I’m realizing a backpack would definitely be my preference for maximizing free hands and not having bag slide down arm

I’ll look into the trekster

Anyone have any experiences with petunia pickle bottom backpacks?

Though, for the price, weight and functionality, I might be willing to forego pretty and just grab a trekster

hoodlims
02-21-2012, 06:38 PM
I would try to get a backpack bag of any kind, simply because when I was wearing a shoulder bag, it would constantly slip down my arm and hit my toddler in the head while I was trying to pick anything up or hold something. I like my Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack, but they are quite pricey and maybe a little too deep to find everything quickly.

lmh2402
02-21-2012, 09:02 PM
I would try to get a backpack bag of any kind, simply because when I was wearing a shoulder bag, it would constantly slip down my arm and hit my toddler in the head while I was trying to pick anything up or hold something. I like my Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack, but they are quite pricey and maybe a little too deep to find everything quickly.

do you have the "regular" boxy, or the "abundance" - was actually thinking i would need/want the abundance since it's bigger and i'm looking to carry for two

but if you're using the regular one with two, i'd love to hear if you think you've got enough space

thanks!

ETA: do you find it heavy?

hoodlims
02-23-2012, 01:37 AM
do you have the "regular" boxy, or the "abundance" - was actually thinking i would need/want the abundance since it's bigger and i'm looking to carry for two

but if you're using the regular one with two, i'd love to hear if you think you've got enough space

thanks!

ETA: do you find it heavy?

Did you get my msg?

mackmama
02-23-2012, 12:29 PM
I recommend the JJB BFF. I don't think you'd need something as big as the Be Prepared. I have both, and they really aren't very heavy. I was also really concerned about weight. At first, I used a lot of JJB BeQuicks to organize stuff within the bag but found that did seem to add a lot of weight. Once I stopped doing that, the bags were a lot lighter.