PDA

View Full Version : Have you heard of the Kahn Academy (for math)?

infomama
02-21-2012, 11:04 AM
My mom introduced me to this and I think it's fantastic. Lessons range from simple addition/subtraction to advanced math. They are short videos, you don't see the instructor..you just hear his voice and see the problem done on a virtual blackboard. My dd doesn't love math and she digs this.
It's free, too.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

egoldber
02-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Yes, his stuff is awesome!!

I heard an interview with him on NPR a couple years ago and the website has really exploded since then.

brittone2
02-21-2012, 11:08 AM
We love Kahn. It is really great to see how concepts like this can revolutionize education. As my kids get older we're going to integrate more of Kahn into our HSing. We'll still do direct instruction of our own kids, but Kahn really has so many great things available.

They have Singapore Math 3a and 3b on there I think. Supposedly they are going to add other Singapore years, but I've heard that for years and I don't think it has happened yet.

geochick
02-21-2012, 11:28 AM
We love Kahn! My brother in law is a grad student at MIT, and saw the guy speak. He turned us onto it. It's awesome. I have my kids watch one of the "films" each day for homework.

TwinFoxes
02-21-2012, 11:30 AM
I think he's awesome. I always think I'll do his stuff if I ever find enough time!! I wish he'd been around when I was hating math.

pb&j
02-21-2012, 11:41 AM
I love Khan academy! It's much more than just math. Sal Khan did a TED talk last year that is worth watching -
http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education. html

ha98ed14
02-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Yes! And I used it for some math education classes. Some of those concepts are hard! He quit his job as an engineer to do it and was living on peanuts. Then he got a grant from the Gates Foundation and it started looking really professional. I think he must be a really great guy IRL to take up this kind of mission to make math accessible for the masses to understand. It's one more resource out there for HSing in the upper grades if you are inclined that way.

ellies mom
02-21-2012, 11:58 AM
We love it here too. DD1 has an account and I'm set up as her coach so I can check out her progress. I also used it to refresh my math skills awhile back. It is amazing. I keep meaning to watch some of the other topics.

Now if only he'd make a series of "new math for parents" videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kijip
03-01-2012, 02:50 AM
They have Singapore Math 3a and 3b on there I think. Supposedly they are going to add other Singapore years, but I've heard that for years and I don't think it has happened yet.

It is 3a only. I wish he had 4-6 up there. That would be great. :D

niccig
03-01-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm using Khan to get through a dismal physiology online course. I kid you not, the online course is taught as "read chapters 8,9,10,11 then answer 50 questions." I can get through the coursework, but for studying for the final, it's Khan and cliffnotes guide.

noodle
03-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Yes and we LOVE it. DS used it last summer and skipped a grade of math after the placement test in the fall, plus he was exceptionally well-prepared for the class he's in now. (Plus I'm able to understand what he's doing....) My favorite ones are when Sal has a cold; he's funny.

KrisM
03-01-2012, 09:39 PM
No, I hadn't. Thank you!