PDA

View Full Version : Dual citizenship opportunity for my DDs, any drwabacks?

cdlamis
02-21-2012, 12:18 PM
My DDs have an opportunity to have dual citizenship (American and Brazilian). They were born in the U.S. but they can be granted dual citizenship since I have dual citizenship (even though I was born here, mom is Brazilian). I would like them to have it since its a neat opportunity AND it allows them to have Brazilian passports, instead of needing travel visas to visit Brazil (which they have done and will do).

I see the benefits but are there any drawbacks to having this? Future tax issues, etc? For instance, if they were boys, I would be afraid that someday they would be called to serve in the Brazilian army in case of a world war -small chance since Brazil is very neutral, but an example of what I am trying to forsee.

TIA!

niccig
02-21-2012, 12:37 PM
DS has dual citizenship with Australia. The only drawback is there's an extra passport to renew/keep track of. It was a hassle to get it the first time, but should be easier to renew. I have 2 passports too.

For me it made sense. I'm Australian and it's important to me he knows he's 1/2 Australian - though he tells me he thinks the split is more 3/4 and 1/4 as he lives in America and sounds American. When we visit there he doesn't need a visa and could go stay there for longer if he wishes. eg. he could do a year of college there and go in as a domestic student rather than international.

And for military service, if one of the countries had national service, he could go live in the other country.
Tax issues, it would depend if Brazil taxes the residents if work outside of Brazil - the USA does this, but Australia does not. If DS did go work in Australia he would have to pay tax to both countries, but that's because of USA tax laws. And I think the USA tax isn't the same amount as if working here, they take into account that paid tax in other country.

buddyleebaby
02-21-2012, 12:42 PM
I don't know the laws of Brazil. My DH has dual citizenship- United States and Colombia. It truthfully only comes into play when we are traveling to/in Colombia.

He did have to get the waiver for military service (they are required to serve or get the waiver) and has to make sure he carries his waiver paperwork whenever we go. He also MUST use his Colombian passport when traveling to Colombia, which is kind of a PITA because we have no need for it otherwise and now we have two to keep updated and carry around.
(In Colombia you don't need to apply for a travel visa in advance for entry so that's not a concern for us. You do have to pay an exit tax to get out of the country and I *think* he pays less because he is a citizen.)

My children are entitled to dual citizenship but I don't think we will get it for them because (in our experience) it is easier to travel as a tourist in Colombia than as a citizen, and whereas for my DH it is his homeland, for my children it is just a place where our family lives and they have nice pools. :rotflmao:

cilantromapuche
02-21-2012, 01:32 PM
I have dual citizenship and it is mostly a PIA in terms of keeping track of passports, etc. I didn't do it for my kids because it would only save money on travel in the country.

cdlamis
02-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback! The only reason I am doing it (other than a neat way to preserve their 1/4 heritage) is to facilitate travel to Brazil (DD#1 is going with grandma again next month). Since Americans need visas to enter Brazil, a passport is cheaper.

edurnemk
02-21-2012, 07:13 PM
DS has dual citizenship, and so do I and almost everyone in my family. IMO it's worth it. We travel a lot internationally and we've actually saved money on visas for some countries that require visas for american citizens but not for Europeans.

Tax wise we don't have issues, since Spain doesn't tax citizens who work outside of Spain. They also don't have military service anymore (although my oldest brother got a waiver since he wasn't residing in Spain, they alter changed the law so it's no longer required)

I don't mind the extra hassle of managing 2 passports. I think the benefits are worth it, and I like that we have a very tangible proof of our heritage. Just remember you always have to use the passport of the country you are entering.

ETA: The possibility of war and DS being called to serve in the army is so remote I don't worry about it. If that happens he could always choose to denounce one of his nationalities, according to what's more convenient to him. But I'm happy that we've given him the choice, he can choose one or the other or both when he's 18+.

dogmom
02-21-2012, 07:30 PM
The most obvious benefit I can think of is that there are places where one would be better off traveling on a Brazilian passport vs. and American one, which would preserve opportunities for him as an adult.

wendmatt
02-21-2012, 10:05 PM
DD has dual, British and American passports. We went to UK when DH deployed for a year and needed to stay longer than the 3 mths visa would allow with the US passport. I don't see any down sides to it, although I do need to renew 2 passports as pps have said.