PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with these site registrations and purchases?

elektra
02-21-2012, 01:15 PM
For a few months now, I have been getting random confirmation emails from sites like Karmloop, Spreadshirt.ca, etc. saying welcome to xyz site, thanks for registering. There have been probably 6 or so total.

Yesterday I even got a registration confirmation for Spreadhshirt.ca, followed by an order confirmation, complete with the person's name, billing address and shipping address. This morning I got the cancelation confirmation.

Is this for people who get some kind of points for registering or purchasing on an incentive site like MyPoints or the like? Should I be worried about identity theft? I have not seen any charges on my credit card.

Should I do some kind of free credit report? I did that several years ago and I'm not sure what that would really tell me though in regards to this email registration thing.

My email address is a very simple one, so it could be technically possible that people just randomly input it when registering at random sites. It's just weird though and I'm not sure how to respond. I did contact one of the sites and said I did not register.

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated!

BabyBearsMom
02-21-2012, 01:19 PM
This happens to me. My e-mail address is [email protected] and another woman who has my same name is [email protected] and she puts it in wrong. I also periodically get e-mails from her friends and family. As a result, I know wayyyyy too much about this woman. I don't have a solution for you. It is just very annoying.

lizzywednesday
02-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Your e-mail account may have been hacked.

Check your credit card & bank statements for any weird charges, usually in small dollar amounts - $2 or $5 here, $10 there, etc. - over the last few months. ID theft isn't usually about running up a huge tab - it's about some "floater" charges that don't raise suspicions to test that the account is "good."

If there are strange charges in your accounts, call your card companies and bank to freeze/cancel your accounts. (PITA, I know, but worth peace of mind.)

Change your e-mail password.

Also, if you have PayPal, check your linked account(s) - e-mail, credit card, etc. - for the same kind of small-amount activity. If there's weirdness at PayPal, change that account info.

marymoo86
02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
could also be phishing scam hoping you will click the link

i have even received very official looking paypal emails in my spam box with confirmation in the title enough similarity that I will open a new windown and type in the paypal address to log into my account to verify. Have this happen with Amazon as well.