PDA

View Full Version : FA moms: does your daycare/nanny have a Jr. Epipen and know when to use it?

citymama
02-21-2012, 03:23 PM
DD2 started daycare last week at a small daycare where kids bring in their own lunch. Snacks are provided and are nut-free. All the families have been informed to not send anything with tree nuts and I've sent them a list of problem foods. DD is just doing half days so far so not staying for lunch yet, and the DCP sees to it that kids do not share food brought from home.

The DCP has had CPR training but has not had to use an Epipen before. She has asked that I leave one there, just in case. I will show her how to use it, but should I worry that she might use it incorrectly or when it isn't necessary? Shouldn't she just call 911 if there is a serious reaction? DD2 has had just skin rash so far (when exposed to very, very small doses of walnuts and hazelnuts), but our allergist warns that reactions can become more severe almost overnight, especially with little ones. What do you do to protect your FA kids at daycare and school?

thanks!

Kindra178
02-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Ds1 used to attend a nut free school and we still kept an epi pen and benadryl there. If it's a severe reaction, waiting until the ambulance arrives is not a good idea. Almost anyone can administer an epi pen, even someone without medical training. Your allergist should be able to write out an action plan, whereby specific symptoms are set forth and what treatments should follow. It may well be that a dose of Benadryl is all that is needed.

crl
02-21-2012, 04:15 PM
You should talk with your allergist, but I would definitely want an epi at the daycare. If you are worried that the care provider won't know when or how to use it, can you arrange for training? What kind of training did you get? Can you arrange the same for her? She should definitely call 911 for a serious reaction, but I think she should be ready to give the epi too. There just isn't enough time to wait for paramedics sometimes.

My kid didn't have an epi (his reactions were so, so minor that his ped and allergist were in agreement that he didn't need one). But he had classmates with them at preschool. They were kept in plastic boxes with a picture of the kid and a list of the food allergies and simple use instructions taped securely to the box. Each kid had his/her own box. I think there were pre-measured Benadryl doses in the boxes too?

Catherine

MamaMolly
02-21-2012, 05:14 PM
How about you arrange a conference with the teacher and some other staff and show this:http://www.epipen.com/how-to-use-epipen

Here are a wealth of handouts. http://www.foodallergy.org/section/helpful-information

I would not rely on 911 to be able to get to your child quickly enough in a serious anaphylactic situation. If our DCP is open to training I would jump at the chance!

KpbS
02-21-2012, 05:18 PM
I too would ask the staff to be trained on how to use--even as simple as showing a video during a staff meeting on proper use and protocol for an epi.

MSWR0319
02-21-2012, 05:21 PM
I'd most definitely have an Epi at the daycare and would ask your allergist for an action plan. Ours says to Epi first, call 911, then benedryl. There is no way I would rely on calling 911. You never know how long it will take for them to get there.

ETA do you have a practice pen they can use to practice with after they watch the video? I think the video is a great idea.

Clarity
02-21-2012, 05:23 PM
My 3yo has an epi-pen jr at school and a supply of benadryl. They have a food allergy action plan http://www.foodallergy.org/files/FAAP.pdf that you can print out online and fill out that indicates to your dd's caregiver on what actions she should take in the event of a reaction. I highly recommend giving her one. All of the providers in my dd's room are trained to use an epi-pen and I would rather they err on the side of caution and use the pen then NOT use the pen and pay dearly for the error. http://www.epipen.com/about-epipen/when-to-use-your-epipen HTH!

citymama
02-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Thank you so much for the links and the information. We have a plan! Our allergist hasn't spelled things out quite so clearly as you have, which is strange. Our plan has been to avoid all nuts, use Benadryl in case of accidental exposure and have Epipen on hand (and call 911) if signs of an anaphylactic reaction appear. I will definitely take an Epipen, trainer pen, and printed materials to the DCP and share the video links and training information with them. Thank you!