PDA

View Full Version : Home Owners' Association?

kellij
02-21-2012, 04:05 PM
We moved to a new house at the end of June. We got an invoice for our Home Owner's Association fees recently, yet that's the only thing we've ever heard from the Association. I'm curious as to what the money is actually used for. I've never belonged to a Home Owners' Association, so I thought I would write them a letter to send with our payment requesting information about the HOA.

Are there certain things that I should/shouldn't ask about?

legaleagle
02-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Both of the communities I've lived in with homeowner's associations had 1) at least annual meetings with elections of board members and 2) detailed budgets showing where the money goes. Did you not get a packet on it when you bought the house? Around here, it's required by law as part of the sale.

kellij
02-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Both of the communities I've lived in with homeowner's associations had 1) at least annual meetings with elections of board members and 2) detailed budgets showing where the money goes. Did you not get a packet on it when you bought the house? Around here, it's required by law as part of the sale.

No, we didn't get anything. That's why I feel weird about just sending off a check. We did have to pay something though, so I know someone definitely takes money!

lhafer
02-21-2012, 04:15 PM
You should have been given information about the HOA and what they provide/do for the neighborhood when you bought your house. I have no idea what your HOA fees are, or what they include for your community.

My HOA fees are ~$850/year (I live in a large master planned community).

Here is what our HOA provides:
The Homeowner's Association consists of a Board of Directors who is responsible for the consistency of individual residential property and the aesthetics within the community, as governed by the adopted by-laws.

The Board of Directors provide services such as:

Administrative
Financial
Architectural Reviews
Enforcement Activities
Legal
Insurance Provision
Resident Activities
Amenity Support

In essence:
Our HOA fees go towards maintaining the look of our neighborhood (grass mowed/flower beds planted/maintanence of the various little lakes we have thoughout the community/etc in the common areas), maintain the many parks throughout the neighborhood, as well as the tennis courts/soccer fields/baseball fields, they maintain the pool/pay lifeguards during the summer, we have a police man who patrols the neighborhood, they make sure the homes within the community look nice (send letters to residents when they need to weed/mow/clean up their property). We also have festivals/community events throughout the year that are put together via the HOA and various committies (BBQ festivals, Easter egg hunts, Fall festival, winter festival, summer kickoff pool party, a several others). There are also several board that stem from the HOA - pool committee, Safety committee, neighborhood watch, and they have a website dedicated for the residents of our community.

BabyBearsMom
02-21-2012, 04:16 PM
We have an HOA. They should give you some sort of booklet that outlines their role and the rules of the HOA. Our HOA maintains the pool, playground, tennis court, walking trails and public areas for our community. They also approve any major changes that you make to the outside of your house (i.e. you can only paint in an approved color, you have to maintain a "colonial style" on the outside of the house etc.). They also periodically go around and write you up for any noncompliance with their policies (i.e. your grass looks unkempt, your fence is falling down etc.).

lhafer
02-21-2012, 04:19 PM
No, we didn't get anything. That's why I feel weird about just sending off a check. We did have to pay something though, so I know someone definitely takes money!

You should contact them and ask for the packet that tells you what they provide. Here, it's law they provide that to you. I've always gotten the information at closing in the past 2 communities we've lived in.

Not sure where you live, but here in Tx, if you don't pay your HOA dues, it gets ugly fast. They can put a lien on your house, make you pay interest, etc. The HOAs here have a LOT of power. I think some bills just went through to try to lessen their power actually.

daisysmom
02-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Its the law in Virginia. It has to be delivered prior to the closing.

kellij
02-21-2012, 04:25 PM
You should contact them and ask for the packet that tells you what they provide. Here, it's law they provide that to you. I've always gotten the information at closing in the past 2 communities we've lived in.

Not sure where you live, but here in Tx, if you don't pay your HOA dues, it gets ugly fast. They can put a lien on your house, make you pay interest, etc. The HOAs here have a LOT of power. I think some bills just went through to try to lessen their power actually.

I'm in Oklahoma, odds are we're similar. I know they can put a lien on the house here too, I'll have to check out the laws to see what they are here too. I thought it was funny that their dues were part of closing costs, that's when I found out about the lien issue. Crazy!