PDA

View Full Version : Test tube meat?

cvanbrunt
02-21-2012, 05:19 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/02/meat-grown-in-lab-may-yield-first-test-tube-burger-by-fall/1?csp=34news#.T0QHBMwWL0I

Okay. I'm not sure how I feel about this. We don't eat meat as much as we used to because I have become increasingly concerned about the welfare of the animals over the years. We now only eat free-range or "humane" meat and eggs. I could be vegetarian if not for my love of a really good steak. I really, really, love steak. Like, I'd give up sex before I'd give up my (infrequent) steak.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that the stats regarding the environmental impact are correct, and the meat is completely safe. Would you eat lab meat?

AnnieW625
02-21-2012, 05:25 PM
No probably not as I don't see how it is any better than eating a humanely raised animal. We buy organic or brands we know that are tested humanely. We limit how much meat we eat when we eat out too mainly because I want my meat to be certified USDA and or from a reputable farm.

infomama
02-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Would you eat lab meat?

No. I'd stop eating meat before I ate that.

elizabethkott
02-21-2012, 05:43 PM
I heard this on the radio the other day and my first reaction was "ewwwwwww".
There's just something that seems *wrong* about eating lab meat.
(And then my second thought was "Soilent Green is people! PEEEEEEEEEEEEOPLE!!!!!" And I have no. idea. why my head connected the two.)

Kymberley
02-21-2012, 05:45 PM
No. I'd stop eating meat before I ate that.

:yeahthat:

KLD313
02-21-2012, 05:46 PM
I didn't read the link but the title of your post made me sick to even think about it.

swissair81
02-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Not a snowball's chance in somewhere very, very hot.

edurnemk
02-21-2012, 07:24 PM
I saw this on TV a few weeks ago, can't remember when. All I can say is eeeewwww!!!! I'd rather go 100% vegetarian. I seldom eat red meat, BTW, but even in my old meat-loving days, I'd never try this.

ETA: I also avoid processed foods as much as I can, and this is like beyond processed in my book!

daisymommy
02-21-2012, 07:36 PM
I try not to eat anything man or lab created. So no way in the world...
I believe that God set up the perfect system for our food, our bodies, our world to keep us optimally healthy, if we follow the way things were naturally designed to work. When we as man go sticking our fingers into everything, that spells Trouble with a capital T.

wellyes
02-21-2012, 07:46 PM
I personally don't think most people in the US will ever go veg or pay for humanely raised and slaughted meat, so I am tentatively OK with this. I can't believe people (not here, in general) think factory farms are OK but this is not. Not just the animal torture, I mean the antibiotics, the filth.... people who wouldn't sit on a toilet seat eat burgers that have to be ammonia-cleansed to be safe for human consumption. Which is, I believe, the case with not just fast food burgers but also school lunches. Ew.

vludmilla
02-21-2012, 09:04 PM
I can't imagine that I personally would choose to eat "test tube meat" but that doesn't mean that I am against it for other people. As wellyes points out, it could be a good choice for people who would otherwise choose to eat meat from factory farms.

cvanbrunt
02-21-2012, 09:42 PM
I personally don't think most people in the US will ever go veg or pay for humanely raised and slaughted meat, so I am tentatively OK with this. I can't believe people (not here, in general) think factory farms are OK but this is not. Not just the animal torture, I mean the antibiotics, the filth.... people who wouldn't sit on a toilet seat eat burgers that have to be ammonia-cleansed to be safe for human consumption. Which is, I believe, the case with not just fast food burgers but also school lunches. Ew.

Sadly, I think you are right. Americans are hooked on our cheap food (as measured by % of income spent on food compared to other countries). Maybe the environmental benefit is the way to sell this to the millennials and then their children. Anyway, I'm sure you saw this last week in the NYT, but just in case you didn't: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/omg-mcdonalds-does-the-right-thing/?scp=1&sq=gestation%20cages&st=cse