PDA

View Full Version : any tips on how to respond

malphy
02-21-2012, 11:23 PM
DD was sad because "i make wishes and they never come true." I felt so bad at how heartbroken she was.

I asked her what she wished for and she told me she wanted to be a fairy. I told her that not all wishes come true and that certain things just can't happen. I explained to her that she is a human and can never change into anything else like a fairy or cat or dog, etc.

She got it into her head that wishes must be secrets so I was lucky to get this out of her but then she wished for something else and apparently she didn't get that either and I have no idea what she wished for.

I am sorry this is muddled but i am tired and rushing and wanted to put this out there before I forgot.

If any of this makes sense does anyone have any advice?

lalasmama
02-22-2012, 12:38 AM
No advice, but :hug: My DD makes wishes at the "wishing pond" at the mall every time we are there. So far, 1 wish has come true (that she would get to hold a family member's new baby). Sometimes she'll give "clues" about her wishes, and only one has been something completely out of my control ("Mama, I wish the babies in your belly wouldn't go to Heaven. I wish they would stay here so we could have them live with us.")....

Like your DD, mine believes wishes have to be secrets, and won't generally tell me, so I have to try to figure out clues.

randomkid
02-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Oh yes, this is so hard. One day on the way to school, DD wished three things - 1) She would turn into a fairy 2) Her dolls would come alive and 3) She would turn into a mermaid when she got in the water. As soon as we got home from school, she ran around the house checking her wishes - 1) Looked in the mirror to see if she was growing wings 2) Ran to her bedroom to check on her dolls and 3) Ran water in the sink and put her feet in to see if they would turn into a tail.

Even though it was difficult for me to watch, I let her do them all. I knew that I could not convince her they wouldn't happen unless she had checked everything for herself. It was so hard to explain to her that these things could not happen no matter how hard she wished for them. I wanted to cry because she had such a strong belief in all things imaginary (for example, when we would go to Disney, those characters were completely real to her even though they were real people opposed to the animated characters in the movies). She was so disappointed, but it was something she just came to accept. I saw it as one more step toward growing up and losing her belief in imaginary things, like Santa and the Tooth Fairy :cry:

I'm sorry you are facing this with your DD. I couldn't think of any other way to help her other than to tell her the truth. She was so heartbroken when her wishes weren't coming true that the truth from me seemed to relieve her stress about it in some way. However, it then broke my heart. No real advice, just commiseration and :hug:

tabegle
02-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Can you make some of your own wishes audible and then make sure they come true?

Like, "I wish dad cooks dinner tonight," or, "I wish the traffic light would turn green, I wish the there are cherries available at the grocery today."

And, maybe you can have your dh cook dinner. :)