PDA

View Full Version : AntiB:Good human beings

ha98ed14
02-22-2012, 03:15 AM
I just got back from a public meeting about something very political going on in our town. After the meeting, people were milling around having conversations. Another woman (~33) and myself were talking to a man who is in a pretty high position and up walks this older (65+) woman. She works her way into the conversation and hijacks the conversation and starts sharing about how she lost a child. I stood there frozen and uncomfortable because it was really not the right venue to be sharing that kind of thing. I probably had this blank look on my face.

The man we were talking to took her hand and squeezed it in an "I know this must have been hard; you have my sympathies" kind of way. I was floored at his grace and compassion. Honestly, I would never have expected it from a man. I know that's stereotyping, but it's true. Given his position, I would have thought he of all people would be uncomfortable, but he was so affirming of her. She even hugged him and he hugged her back, and I know that they don't know each other outside of this meeting. Makes me want to be a better human being.

tabegle
02-23-2012, 03:48 PM
:) It's nice to read these stories. It encourages me to be more compassionate. Thanks for sharing!