PDA

View Full Version : Another carrier challenged person

janine
02-22-2012, 02:33 PM
I have a classic Baby Bjorn that did not work with DD1. Now that I have DD2, I was determined to try harder, but it is just so unwieldy! I just can't get her in with ease, plus squeezing her leg in and various contortions to get things snapped up defeats the purpose. Is there something easier..now that she is 4 months, there is less need for newborn support, but I do need my hands and if I'm using a carrier I need it to be EASY! I agree with other posters who don't do well with the wraps with lots of material...

Am I missing something or is there a product out there for me?

BabyBearsMom
02-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Have yuo tried an Ergo? I absolutely detest the Bjorns (so uncomfortable!) but love my Ergo. In fact, we still use it with DD and she is almost 2. I don't find it difficult to put on, but it does take practice to be able to reach the should snap.

janine
02-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Have yuo tried an Ergo? I absolutely detest the Bjorns (so uncomfortable!) but love my Ergo. In fact, we still use it with DD and she is almost 2. I don't find it difficult to put on, but it does take practice to be able to reach the should snap.

Thanks - how does it compare/differ from the Mei Tei (saw that recommended here).

lizzywednesday
02-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks - how does it compare/differ from the Mei Tei (saw that recommended here).

MT's are tied; the Ergo buckles.

You might also want to look at the Beco Gemini, Beco Butterfly II or the Pikkolo by Catbird Baby, as they all have similar features (and weight limits) to the Ergo. The Gemini & Pikkolo also have a forward facing-out option if that's something you find appealing for your DD2.

Buckles are faster than ties for most people.

If there's a good baby gear shop nearby (I forget where in the NYC-metro you're located) you can probably test-run a bunch of carriers before you figure out one to buy.

Nechums
02-22-2012, 04:19 PM
If there's a good baby gear shop nearby (I forget where in the NYC-metro you're located) you can probably test-run a bunch of carriers before you figure out one to buy.

There's a great store on the Upper East Side where I bought my Beco. I think it's called Metro Mini, but it was so long ago that I forgot. The woman was so helpful and I ended up with the perfect carrier for my needs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

MommyAllison
02-22-2012, 04:34 PM
My DD2 is a few weeks younger than yours, and we're loving our MeiTai now. Not using the Moby as often anymore, as the MT is easier to nurse in for me. I've used MTs with all of my kids, so tying DD2 on takes 30 seconds, so easy.

janine
02-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks everyone - it's a big help. I'm researching all these carriers and if buckles are the easiest, I better go with that. I do like FF options.

But in these reviews I see people loving the Bjorn (just not the back issues from it) but for me I don't find the Bjorn so great and easy like others say.

I will check out a nearby baby store and see if it helps...

mikala
02-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Another Bjorn hater here. It was halfway comfortable with a 10 lb infant and then seemed uncomfortable for both me and babe after that. LizzyWednesday's suggestions are all good and you really need to try them out in person. Worst case scenario Amazon does offer free return shipping if you can't get to a store in person. I've also heard great things about the customer service from Frogmama.com .

Philly Mom
02-22-2012, 05:21 PM
I have the Cybex 2 Go, which I know most people on here don't know. I find it easy. I had the Bjorn first and hated it mainly for the back problems. My mom went to a local baby store and they recommended the Cybex. Once I got the Cybex adjusted right the first time, it has been easy to get my daughter in and out. She is a heavy 7 month old and I have had no problem managing her in and out on my own.

fumofu
02-23-2012, 02:52 AM
Love my Beco Gemini, which can FF. Buckles make it easier, and how the straps are placed you can criss cross them in the back when you front carry. This helps distributes the weight on your back instead of your shoulders - which will be greatly appreciated when your DD gets heavier.

ABO Mama
02-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks everyone - it's a big help. I'm researching all these carriers and if buckles are the easiest, I better go with that. I do like FF options.

But in these reviews I see people loving the Bjorn (just not the back issues from it) but for me I don't find the Bjorn so great and easy like others say.

I will check out a nearby baby store and see if it helps...

Just to let you know, FF is hard on your back, since the weight of the baby is pulling away from your body. It makes the baby feel heavier to me.

If you are looking for more reviews, take a look at thebabywearer. There are lots of reviews, but I don't believe there are many positive reviews for the bjorn (I hated mine, and went with a beco).

AustenFan
02-23-2012, 08:02 PM
I echo the recommendations for the Ergo and Pikkolo. I don't do ties or wraps well, but buckles even I can handle!:tongue5: DH actually still prefers to use our Bjorn, but DD2 is such a peanut (still 16 lbs) that it doesn't bug him. A friend told me about this service where you can "rent" a carrier to test drive it--I don't really need to get anything else since I like my Ergo, but I might ask for a membership for my birthday just for fun: http://www.carrymebabycarriers.com/

hoodlims
02-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Another Beco fan here! I use mine constantly and did the same with DC1 . I love how easy and discreet it is to breastfeed while wearing and walking. Most of my friends have Ergos and they have yet to figure out how to nurse while wearing baby but I am sure it can be done.