PDA

View Full Version : Boden women's sizing Q

twowhat?
02-22-2012, 02:50 PM
For those who have ordered womens' clothing from Boden - how does the sizing run? I'm a 0 or 2 in tops and pants from most places (Gap, AT, J Crew, etc) but in looking at the Boden size chart and according to my measurements, I should get size 4 for tops and size 6 for pants (I have hips).

Did Boden not fall victim to vanity sizing and should I go by their size chart? I'm 5'6'' and 115-120lb depending on what I ate. I'd like to use the Boden GC for myself:)

lizzywednesday
02-22-2012, 03:17 PM
I wear a size 14.

At Boden, I'm a 14 by measurements, but some styles I'd have done fine in a 12.

Like the Riviera dress I bought from last Spring's collection, I could've worn a 12 (the 14 was too blousy on top) but the matte jersey dresses are better in the 14 for me. But I feel like the quality is nice enough that I could have it altered if I needed to, so I don't feel so badly.

I'm afraid to order pants, so I can't comment on those - I have hips, thighs and a generous booty and I'm not sure any of the cuts would accommodate the curves of my figure. (A friend once described it as "ghetto booty" though she was talking about herself. I think it's more accurate for me than it is for her, but perception's perception.)

Does that make sense?

TwinFoxes
02-22-2012, 03:25 PM
I find them to be close to their size charts, and I also closely read the reviews, which are usually pretty helpful.

I've never ordered pants from them, sorry!

lizzywednesday
02-22-2012, 04:03 PM
I find them to be close to their size charts, and I also closely read the reviews, which are usually pretty helpful.

I've never ordered pants from them, sorry!

The reviews are AWESOME. If I have trouble figuring out what the fabric or fit is like, I read them.

And, when I listen, they're the deal-makers or deal-breakers.

cvanbrunt
02-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Well, I think its AT and JCrew that are using vanity sizing. I'm a 2 in pants and an xtra small top. I need a 4 in bottoms and a 6 or 8 top from Boden. I'd use their size chart and read the reviews.

elektra
02-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Are you sure you are not looking at their UK sizes? Those are usually a size or two up from the US sizes.
There is no way you would be a 6 in Boden at 5'6" 115-120 regardless of measurements IMO. I am a 6-8 in Boden and I am a much larger person (5' 10" 140).
The reviews are really detailed and I would start there. I find Boden to be similar to Gap in sizing and when it's not, the reviews are usually good about specifying.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Are you sure you are not looking at their UK sizes? Those are usually a size or two up from the US sizes.
There is no way you would be a 6 in Boden at 5'6" 115-120 regardless of measurements IMO. I am a 6-8 in Boden and I am a much larger person (5' 10" 140).
The reviews are really detailed and I would start there. I find Boden to be similar to Gap in sizing and when it's not, the reviews are usually good about specifying.

:yeahthat:

twowhat?
02-22-2012, 05:19 PM

I thought that too and I double checked that I was looking at US sizes...it's so weird. My waist is 25-26 and my hips are 37 which puts me at a size 6 for bottoms based on Boden's size chart (I have larger hips but who could possibly have 33 inch hips which is their size 2???). My bust is 33.

twowhat?
02-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Well, I think its AT and JCrew that are using vanity sizing. I'm a 2 in pants and an xtra small top. I need a 4 in bottoms and a 6 or 8 top from Boden. I'd use their size chart and read the reviews.

Hmmm interesting - good to know!

DrSally
02-22-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't have much Boden, but The few pieces i have, i don't think they do vanity sizing. Definitely use their size charts and read reviews for indiv items.

AnnieW625
02-22-2012, 05:58 PM
I wear a size 14.

At Boden, I'm a 14 by measurements, but some styles I'd have done fine in a 12.

Like the Riviera dress I bought from last Spring's collection, I could've worn a 12 (the 14 was too blousy on top) but the matte jersey dresses are better in the 14 for me. But I feel like the quality is nice enough that I could have it altered if I needed to, so I don't feel so badly.

I'm afraid to order pants, so I can't comment on those - I have hips, thighs and a generous booty and I'm not sure any of the cuts would accommodate the curves of my figure. (A friend once described it as "ghetto booty" though she was talking about herself. I think it's more accurate for me than it is for her, but perception's perception.)

Does that make sense?

:yeahthat: Agree 100%. I am a 12 right now in most brands and 12 in dresses and a medium or a 10 in some of knit shirts, anything all cotton I am a 12 or 14. Buying shirts for me is hard because I have a broad back and shoulders but small boobs. In pants in most brands I am a 14 because of hips, booty, and thighs. I did order a skirt from them last year and it was tight in a 12, but didn't want to order a 14 because it probably would have been but in the waist. I am too afraid to order Boden pants because they seem to way to skinny legs or be very wide bootcut trousers with trouser flap pockets that just do not look good on my butt. However if you are a size 0 or a 2 I am sure that Boden pants will look very nice on you!

:hysterical: in regards to the term "ghetto booty". I remember the first time I went shopping for jeans about 3 months pp with DD1 and the only jeans that fit me were Apple Bottoms and Baby Phat. Ghetto booty was the first thought that came to mind and I live in a pretty racially diverse area, but a white woman in her late 20s wearing those brands would be completely out of place!

citymama
02-22-2012, 07:08 PM
For those who have ordered womens' clothing from Boden - how does the sizing run? I'm a 0 or 2 in tops and pants from most places (Gap, AT, J Crew, etc) but in looking at the Boden size chart and according to my measurements, I should get size 4 for tops and size 6 for pants (I have hips).

Did Boden not fall victim to vanity sizing and should I go by their size chart? I'm 5'6'' and 115-120lb depending on what I ate. I'd like to use the Boden GC for myself:)

It sounds like we're about the same size. I usually get a size 2 or 4 in Boden for tops and bottoms. I'm closer to size 2, and some of the 4s look sloppy or enormous and have to be returned, but sometimes the 2s are so tight in the armpits (fine every where else) that I prefer the larger size for comfort. I mostly buy tops/sweaters and have only ever bought PJs and leggings in the bottoms dep't, but I find 2 fits better than 4, with the 4 a little more comfy if you're buying something like lounge pants. I usually wear a 2 in Gap jeans and XS tops.

tarnator
02-22-2012, 07:15 PM
I just recently placed my first order to Boden. I am hooked....

I almost bought my usual Gap sizing but I am glad that I went by their charts. I am a 4 consistantly at the Gap, but the size 6 Boden leggings fit me perfectly. So perfectly, that I just ordered another pair! Leggings might not be the best example since they are so stretchy and forgiving, but the cardigan and t-shirt that I ordered ran true to size too.